Photo

Hypnagogia? Any Help Or Thoughts, Please.

Hypnagogia adderall dreams confusion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sleepynick

sleepynick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Music, Carving Pools and Bikes

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

I was diagnosed with Acute Narcolepsy about 3 years ago. I go into REM in 5 min.  After half of my MSLT they sent me home, as it was so positive.

I was negative for Sleep Apnea. I have ADD also. I now take 2 30mg of regular Adderall per day.  My symptoms are in check and all is well, however...

Please help me with this next part....In the past year....

Sometimes within the first hour of being awake I feel like I am going back into a dream.  I start sweating, getting sluggish and confused. It ends within 5 mins, as I sweat in a pile on my bed or floor.

During this episode know I am in my home, however it is "not my home".  You know in dreams, how things just arent the same?  Each time I try to manage it, think through it.  It would be the most lucid of dreams (all of my dreams at night are very lucid) however I can tell I am awake. There are a few people that I can never seem to figure out during the dream, otherwise it is only my fiance and I in the dream.

At first it only happened right after I got out the shower, usually after morning sex. It has also happened without ejaculation in the evening after showers, but only if my fiance were home or there was music playing during/after shower. (emotions?)

However, the last 4 times have had no consistent traits.  Today it happened mid email hours after waking up.

Cataplaxy- My fiance can tell if I am trying to cover my feelings if we get into an argument, as my lips stop working right and they quiver a little bit. I knew she was right, but denied it until I read about cataplaxy.

Hypnogocic/Hypnopompic Dreams-

If this is what they are, how can I stop them?  

It ONLY happens in my own home.

Any thoughts, or help?

#2 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hmm.  That does sound like some combination of sleep attack hitting with hypnagogic hallucinations/dream.

Not real sure what can stop them.  For me, the hypnagogic dreams seem to be more often when I have something upcoming, something I'm thinking about having to do the following morning, some task or appointment.  I've noted that if I can think of 'what it is' (being a hypnagogic hallucination/dream), I can sometimes break the cycle of what is going on within it and sort of almost play with, control, it.

As for the aspect of it being in combination with sleep attack/s, that makes it a bit more difficult.  However similarly though, perhaps if you can 'note it (sleep attack) beginning to occur and possibly wake' then maybe you could avoid it.  Perhaps dunking your face in water, drinking something hot or cold.  For me, if I'm doing something tedious or repetitive, perhaps am not stimulated by what I'm doing or perhaps not entertained by what I'm doing (this is especially while staring at a computer screen) sleep attack/s will hit and sometimes I'll go in and out for a long while, or it will be to the point my neck aches and is not happy, before I stumble over into bed and take a nap.

No idea if any of that is helpful, what so ever, but thought I'd try to respond...

Good luck with it. 

And, on another sort of note, which may relate, Cataplexy for me is very much more likely when I've been under stress and/or am anxious, it can be from a build up of such which sometimes I don't even realize is there, building.  Minimizing and avoiding such, does wonders in avoiding Cataplexy although it can still interfere...

BTW, there's nothing else like 'carving pools' -ride on-!

#3 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

I was diagnosed with Acute Narcolepsy about 3 years ago. I go into REM in 5 min.  After half of my MSLT they sent me home, as it was so positive.
I was negative for Sleep Apnea. I have ADD also. I now take 2 30mg of regular Adderall per day.  My symptoms are in check and all is well, however...

Please help me with this next part....In the past year....

Sometimes within the first hour of being awake I feel like I am going back into a dream.  I start sweating, getting sluggish and confused. It ends within 5 mins, as I sweat in a pile on my bed or floor.
During this episode know I am in my home, however it is "not my home".  You know in dreams, how things just arent the same?  Each time I try to manage it, think through it.  It would be the most lucid of dreams (all of my dreams at night are very lucid) however I can tell I am awake. There are a few people that I can never seem to figure out during the dream, otherwise it is only my fiance and I in the dream.
At first it only happened right after I got out the shower, usually after morning sex. It has also happened without ejaculation in the evening after showers, but only if my fiance were home or there was music playing during/after shower. (emotions?)
However, the last 4 times have had no consistent traits.  Today it happened mid email hours after waking up.

Cataplaxy- My fiance can tell if I am trying to cover my feelings if we get into an argument, as my lips stop working right and they quiver a little bit. I knew she was right, but denied it until I read about cataplaxy.
Hypnogocic/Hypnopompic Dreams-
If this is what they are, how can I stop them?  
It ONLY happens in my own home.

Any thoughts, or help?

Ok. So, you have never been diagnosed with Cataplexy but think you may be experiencing that. And you are trying to figure out what these dream like experiences are.

Your ADD diagnosis- have you had that dx since childhood? There is some symptom overlap with N and both respond well to stimulants. It is not uncommon to be diagnosed with ADD before being diagnosed with N. Just wondering.

I am curious what other medications you may be on and if some of what you are experiencing could be side effects.

Temperature can be a trigger for sleep attacks, so I am curious if the "after shower" time could be a sleep attack, when REM is trying to intrude. You could then be waaaay sleepy and experiencing HH. I get a hot flash and sweaty (almost nauseous) when a sleep attack is coming.

Daytime sleepiness follows the REM cycle throughout the day. 2 hours after waking up is my most likely time to get one. I wonder if this may be happening to you.

I will often get sleepy after experiencing Cataplexy. So, if you may beginning to develop Cataplexy, and the cataplexy is triggering a sleep attack this may make some sense. Finding a patternn can be really tricky. You may just need to observe yourself longer and more closely to detect a patter- especially if there are several symptoms at play.

I hope you get some answers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hypnagogia, adderall, dreams, confusion