Does Anyone Else Think...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

that weight, muscle mass, metabolism and body size should factor into dosage of medicines?

All the dosages for meds for Narcolepsy seem to be the same...whether you're a 100 pound woman or a 250 pound man. This is NOT logical.

#2 collegewriter

collegewriter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Psychology - mainly behavioral neuroscience, psychopharmacology, law, politics, computer hardware & overclocking, EDM (especially Euro)

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

The "recommended" dosages are simply references.

The doctors I have seen know we aren't simply engines that need "1.5 quarts of oil" in order to run.  Has this been your experience?

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

that weight, muscle mass, metabolism and body size should factor into dosage of medicines?

All the dosages for meds for Narcolepsy seem to be the same...whether you're a 100 pound woman or a 250 pound man. This is NOT logical.

It depends on what medicines they are. Some don't vary with biomass et al. Xyrem, for instance, showed no variation during clinical trials if you were a 110 lb woman or a 250lb guy. It acted all the same. I'm not sure what exactly governs such things. It might have to do with method of excretion.

#4 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Good question?  'Age' should perhaps be included too.

I have no idea of the answer/s.  Would assume it varies from med to med and person to person, along with more variables and circumstances...

It makes me think of the word 'normal' and test/s, or the result of test/s being within some so-called 'normal range'...

#5 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

of course we should expect relevant criteria such as body weight, type of work and so on to be taken into consideration when the dose our meds are to be prescribed in is on the table,  this for sure is the case w/the amphetamines, I don't know about the others but likely so.

narcoleptics as a group are too tired to protest much if/when bs is pawned off on us for good medicine.   often our treatment is sub-optimal; often we never suspect it. 

props/kudos to you ferret.  good looking out.

#6 lkl

lkl

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

It depends on what medicines they are. Some don't vary with biomass et al. Xyrem, for instance, showed no variation during clinical trials if you were a 110 lb woman or a 250lb guy. It acted all the same. I'm not sure what exactly governs such things. It might have to do with method of excretion.

It also has to do with where the particular medicine is "stored" or "distributed" in the body, before it is excreted. If the medicine mainly stays in the blood, then the amount of body fat, doesn't make a big difference in terms of the amount needed to give the same concentration.  To give an analogy, if you compare the volume of blood in the body to the water in a bottle water. Adding a towel around the bottle, doesn't change the amount of water, needed to fill the bottle. Everyone's volume of blood does vary a bit, but generally not by very much. However, if the medicine is able to go from the blood and into the fat tissues, then body mass can have a bigger impact.

#7 drago

drago

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

It depends on the medication. I understand for some OTC (like iboprofen) requires consideration, but mostly the difference is between adult/child, right?

As a woman who is short and has a lot of muscle mass (most people guess I am 135-140, but I am actually 175, if that gives you an indication), I am particularly vigilant about this.

drago

#8 SteffaneGrace

SteffaneGrace

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

As most have already said, it really depends on the medication. For example, my boyfriend being 150lb male and me, a female at 115 lbs---I need to take 2 Valium for it to have any sort of effect at all. He only requires one and he feels the benefits almost immediately. Another example, Adderall. Adderall takes about 1.5-2 hours to kick in for me. His dosage also smaller than mine, kicks in within about 20 minutes. 

So I'm not sure you should really be concerned what your doctors are prescribing you. If the doctor feels it is necessary, he will up the dosage accordingly. Granted, if he is a credible doctor. But that is an entirely different topic ;b

#9 collegewriter

collegewriter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Psychology - mainly behavioral neuroscience, psychopharmacology, law, politics, computer hardware & overclocking, EDM (especially Euro)

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

As most have already said, it really depends on the medication. For example, my boyfriend being 150lb male and me, a female at 115 lbs---I need to take 2 Valium for it to have any sort of effect at all. He only requires one and he feels the benefits almost immediately. Another example, Adderall. Adderall takes about 1.5-2 hours to kick in for me. His dosage also smaller than mine, kicks in within about 20 minutes. 

So I'm not sure you should really be concerned what your doctors are prescribing you. If the doctor feels it is necessary, he will up the dosage accordingly. Granted, if he is a credible doctor. But that is an entirely different topic ;b

Exactly, a good doctor will try different treatment-options/dosage-levels. Everyone with N should find one of those, if they haven't already.

#10 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

You've made my point for me with your descriptions SteffaneGrace...and bigger doesn't even mean more. It's an individual thing. Thanks for your post.

#11 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

type of work should be taken into consideration.  this has a huge impact on the rate at which some meds are metabolized for those of us employed in especially laborious occupations.

concrete finishers, carpet layers and plumbers are a few examples.

i'm a construction laborer.   come quitting time, my shirt often features condensed dry sweat looks like little breakers from the beachfront.   huge amt. of sweat.  and it's not uncommon for me to get home and go straight to bed, and I can only take off my boots i'm so shot.  (wake up for family time/shower/supper in a few hrs.)

I drink lots of water at work.   I have a high dose regimen and this is likely the main reason I need 270mg/d adderall.

I find I must take larger doses during the workday when the work is especially hard.  on my days off I get by w/ far less especially if I don't do any chores.

#12 needbetterlife

needbetterlife

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

No dosage is perfect for everyone so many factors.