#21 OneSleepyDude

OneSleepyDude

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Telemark skiing and backcountry exploring
    Restoring vintage Toyota Land Cruisers
    Off roading and 4-wheeling

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

I was diagnosed with N+C about 2 months ago.  First doc I saw instantly put me on Nuvigil - and I had the headaches but they went away after about a week.  I definitely felt more alert - but my cataplexy episodes still haunted me - almost daily and that was just something I had to address but couldn't find a doc to prescribe it - so I had to hunt around for the right one.

While still taking Nuvigil, I've had to alter the dose a little bit - some days more some days less.  250 split up am and lunch has been effective for me to keep awake and kill off my favorite afternoon 2pm nap.  I cannot nap on Nuvigil - irregardless of how much I take it just keeps the mind going for me and I can't shut it off for naptime if I take a small dose or skip one of the split doses altogether.  It does give me mild anxiety - something I've never experienced before - and I'm starting to get used to it. 

Now that I'm on Xyrem 7.5g / night - I find that I don't need the full 250mg split up - I can ususally get to lunch on my coffee and then take 1/2 of a 250mg Nuvigil with food.  That helps keep me alert and functionable until around 7 pm - where it's good to actually feel sleepy again.  Unfortunately, my job hours are kinda goofy - and 7pm is too early and I really have to press hard to function until around 10pm when I get home.  Then its the Xyrem dose and off to the land of nod.  My biggest problem is trying to remember to eat - I've actually lost all my appetite and have to force myself to eat - when I should be hungry.  Hard to know if that is a side-effect of either medicine.  So, yes, Nuvigil is a positive medicine for me.

#22 Lorax64

Lorax64

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

My son tried it - didn't do anything for him. Not bad or good, just didn't seem to have any effect at all. A very expensive experiment for us.... (since he was still 16 at the time, insurance refused to pay a cent). 

I do wonder now.... he was very newly diagnosed and just exhausted beyond words. I wonder if now that he is on Xyrem the Provigil might be able to help if he still has some issues during the school year. I'll ask his doctor. I do know that Xyrem + Adderall = no eating. :(

#23 ThorBearPig

ThorBearPig

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

I started on the 150mg does and it worked well for about a week, then I was getting tired again within 4 hours of taking it. The doc upped it to the 250 dose and I liked that much better. However soon after it also started wearing off earlier and earlier. I'm still on the 250 dose once a day in the morning (around 7:30AM) but then I take adderall 30 mg short release in the afternoons between 2 and 4 (basically whenever I feel the nuvigil fading. This has been a very effective combo for managing my EDS. The Addreall then wears off by 9ish and I have no issues falling asleep around 10PM. 

I have not had any negative experiences with Nuvigil (other than it wearing off earlier than anticipated.).

#24 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

I started on the 150mg does and it worked well for about a week, then I was getting tired again within 4 hours of taking it. The doc upped it to the 250 dose and I liked that much better. However soon after it also started wearing off earlier and earlier. I'm still on the 250 dose once a day in the morning (around 7:30AM) but then I take adderall 30 mg short release in the afternoons between 2 and 4 (basically whenever I feel the nuvigil fading. This has been a very effective combo for managing my EDS. The Addreall then wears off by 9ish and I have no issues falling asleep around 10PM. 

I have not had any negative experiences with Nuvigil (other than it wearing off earlier than anticipated.).

That is so much! Wow! 

I think this is a great example of individual differences when it comes to drug metabolism. For me, I usually find lower doses more effective than higher doses. For whatever reason, at higher doses for most stimulants, by body goes, "Oh, there is too much of X in my system, let me just ignore it/eliminate it...and here are all of the negative side effects with none of those benefits you wanted"; which then makes it highly ineffective. I do develop tolerance over time, but usually cycling (i.e. drug holidays) has been effective. 

#25 ThorBearPig

ThorBearPig

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

It is a lot, but Without the two meds I feel like the honey badger after he gets bit by the cobra. Sleep little F#%*