Interesting Options

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Forgive me if this link has already been posted. I just found it today and have spent a good part of the day reading it. I found it most interesting and believe in options. It is a blog by Christina L. Graves. She is a student at the University of Florida conducting research towards her doctoral degree in Immunology. Her current research focuses on the interaction between gut homeostasis, enteric inflammation, and the development of systemic autoimmune disease. She was diagnosed with Narcolepsy in 2008 and also has Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease.

I jumped all over the place on this link until I finally figured out that "Archives" on the right (month by month) was the place to start reading everything in order. This is the first of the months (May 2012)...

http://autoimmunepat...dpress/2012/05/

She provides many links to studies within her blog and her insight is thought provoking.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

There's definitely a correlation with allergies and autoimmune diseases. I guess the question is whether both are caused by the same thing or if one causes the other. I don't have time to read her blog post now, but I will later. It's also possible that the answer might be both. For some people, secondary Narcolepsy could be caused by something like leaky gut due to food intolerance/allergies which maybe just disrupts the orexin system, instead of killing it.. For other people, it's perhaps a full on destruction of the orexin system due to an auto immune process. In my case, I'm betting it's the latter, as two people (that I know of) in my Dad's side of the family have mild MS, which is caused by the same HLA defect or whatever the crap it's called.