Photo

Patient Assistance Programs For Nuvigil?

Insurance Prescription Coverage Assistance Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CarlaWilS

CarlaWilS

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Food! Music, singing, writing, movies, reading, baking, chocolate, cookies, flaky pastries, bread. Just food. Lots of food. Mainly sweets.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Does anyone know of any prescription assistance programs other than Cephalon Cares and Caring Voice Coalition that offer prescription assistance for people who have insurance but their insurance doesn't cover their medicine?

I've found myself in a very sticky situation. I haven't been able to get my insurance to cover any stimulant medication because it's an excluded benefit in my contract (I've posted about this before and it's a long story, so I won't go into it here unless someone wants specifics). So I am insured, with prescription coverage, but my insurance doesn't cover the prescriptions I need. This makes me ineligible for many assistance programs because they require that you have either no insurance at all (or no prescription coverage...the woman from Cephalon Cares that I spoke to said no insurance at all, but their website says no prescription coverage, so that's confusing), or that you have insurance that covers the medication you are prescribed. 

I have appealed my insurance to cover the medicine, the appeal was denied. I applied to Cephalon Cares and included a cover letter that explains my situation, with a copy of the appeal denial from my insurance hoping that would make a difference, my application was denied. I applied for Caring Voice Coalition and talked on the phone with a representative about my situation, my application was denied. I have applied for insurance through two other companies, I was denied by both because of the N. I got a month's prescription free with a savings card, so I've been taking half doses of 250mg each day and not taking it on the weekends to tide me over until I can figure something out. Since I have no coverage for the medicine, the subsequent savings on the card won't be of much help because they only save you up to $50. Nuvigil is expensive and I can't afford to pay almost $500 a month.

Short of having no insurance at all, I am out of options.

Any suggestions are extremely welcome.

#2 Gabby

Gabby

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Altered Art, My grandchildren, eclectic furnishings, and coffee!!!!!.

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

Wow, I am not going to complain about the card I have. I ran in the other room to read it and see it it could help only to find written on the front 'Insured patients only'. I'm so sorry you find yourself in this situation. It seems unfair.  I'll keep my eyes and ears open.  I hope others do the same.  We have to work together.

#3 Potato

Potato

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

It is generally the medications without generic alternatives which have PAPs (Patient Assistance Programs). Currently that means Xyrem, Vyvanse, and Nuvigil all have PAPs.

#4 bh2601

bh2601

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

Did you find something for this?  RiteAid has a program - https://www.riteaid....savings-program - I think this carries over to other pharmacies as well.  You can also sign up on Nuvigil's site for a free month and discounts off future months. 

#5 CarlaWilS

CarlaWilS

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Food! Music, singing, writing, movies, reading, baking, chocolate, cookies, flaky pastries, bread. Just food. Lots of food. Mainly sweets.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

What I ended up doing is dropping my insurance and reapplying for the Caring Voice Coalition program. Pretty messed up, right? I have to become uninsured to get medicine. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Insurance, Prescription Coverage, Assistance Programs