Starting Xyrem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 casper456372

casper456372

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

In the next few weeks, I will be switching to xyrem to combat my Narcolepsy without cataplexy. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what I can expect in terms of side effects and things like that. I am currently taking 350 mg of Nuvigil ( 200mg in AM, 150 mg at noon).  Ive  found it to be significantly less effective compared to when I started 2 years ago. Also I was wondering if anyone takes any additional medications with xyrem. I currently take 150mg of Pristiq, 2mg of Klonopin, and 1mg of Halcion to combat Anxiety and Anxiety related Insomnia. It would be great if I could eventually stop these medications. Any advice is much appreciated. 

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

How long have you been taking klonopin? Do you take it every night? Have you been instructed to discontinue it before starting Xyrem. It is a long acting benzodiazepine (sedative hypnotic) and is contraindicated with Xyrem because both suppress respiration.

Klonopin discontinuation requires a long slow taper. I was on 1.5 mg and it took me 6 months to get off it. I was not informed that there was a withdrawal syndrome associated with benzo withdrawal.

Consider this as a resource if you will be discontinuing klonopin: http://recovery-road.org/

#3 casper456372

casper456372

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

We have not talk about the discontinuation of any medications I currently take. I am aware of the extremely long (30+ hr) half life of clonazepam. I take it currently for Panic Disorder, so I dont know if I should talk with my doc about changing or discontinuing the use of Benzos all together. I am obviously currently on two different benzos that serve their purposes, but the Halcion is only taken PRN so it is less of a concern for me.  

#4 jenenpaz

jenenpaz

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

I take Effexor, Pristiq and Zyrem. I was taking Xanax every night for nocturnal panic attacks and had no problem with the benzo and xyrem together. However, I have been able to mostly discontinue the xanax because the xyrem puts me into such a wonderful deep sleep that I don't have the night time panic attacks anymore. I take my xyrem and sleep four hours. I wake up almost on the dot without an alarm and take my second dose. 4 hrs. Later I wake up without an alarm feeling refreshed and wide awake. I still take 10mg of adderall first thing in the am or I would have eds. Then usually I take 5-10 mg more at lunchtime. It will take a little adjusting to get everything just right for you but hopefully xyrem will improve your life as much as it has mine and so many others.