casper456372

Starting Xyrem

4 posts in this topic

In the next few weeks, I will be switching to xyrem to combat my Narcolepsy without cataplexy. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what I can expect in terms of side effects and things like that. I am currently taking 350 mg of Nuvigil ( 200mg in AM, 150 mg at noon).  Ive  found it to be significantly less effective compared to when I started 2 years ago. Also I was wondering if anyone takes any additional medications with xyrem. I currently take 150mg of Pristiq, 2mg of Klonopin, and 1mg of Halcion to combat Anxiety and Anxiety related Insomnia. It would be great if I could eventually stop these medications. Any advice is much appreciated. 

How long have you been taking klonopin? Do you take it every night? Have you been instructed to discontinue it before starting Xyrem. It is a long acting benzodiazepine (sedative hypnotic) and is contraindicated with Xyrem because both suppress respiration.

Klonopin discontinuation requires a long slow taper. I was on 1.5 mg and it took me 6 months to get off it. I was not informed that there was a withdrawal syndrome associated with benzo withdrawal.

Consider this as a resource if you will be discontinuing klonopin: http://recovery-road.org/

We have not talk about the discontinuation of any medications I currently take. I am aware of the extremely long (30+ hr) half life of clonazepam. I take it currently for Panic Disorder, so I dont know if I should talk with my doc about changing or discontinuing the use of Benzos all together. I am obviously currently on two different benzos that serve their purposes, but the Halcion is only taken PRN so it is less of a concern for me.  

I take Effexor, Pristiq and Zyrem. I was taking Xanax every night for nocturnal panic attacks and had no problem with the benzo and xyrem together. However, I have been able to mostly discontinue the xanax because the xyrem puts me into such a wonderful deep sleep that I don't have the night time panic attacks anymore. I take my xyrem and sleep four hours. I wake up almost on the dot without an alarm and take my second dose. 4 hrs. Later I wake up without an alarm feeling refreshed and wide awake. I still take 10mg of adderall first thing in the am or I would have eds. Then usually I take 5-10 mg more at lunchtime. It will take a little adjusting to get everything just right for you but hopefully xyrem will improve your life as much as it has mine and so many others.