Is Anyone Else Always Hot?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 J718

J718

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

I've seen posts here about people with narcolepsy always feeling cold but I have the exact opposite problem. I seem to have a problem called erythromelalgia, where my hands will get very red and hot, particularly at night. But I'm also just hot a lot; I start sweating before anyone else. It makes summer pure torture. I know some of it is the Adderall and also the antidepressants I take, but I've been this way for many years—long before I started taking meds following my narcolepsy/IH diagnosis. Is it just me or does anyone else here have this problem?

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

I used to have hot flashes at night (which is pretty damn rare for a dude). I still get them if I have a panic attack. Dunno, if it's an N thing or an anxiety thing or both. It's hard to detangle and disambiguate the symptoms sometimes. For all I know, if it wasnt for N, my anxiety might be much less.

#3 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I've seen posts here about people with narcolepsy always feeling cold but I have the exact opposite problem. I seem to have a problem called erythromelalgia, where my hands will get very red and hot, particularly at night. But I'm also just hot a lot; I start sweating before anyone else. It makes summer pure torture. I know some of it is the Adderall and also the antidepressants I take, but I've been this way for many years—long before I started taking meds following my narcolepsy/IH diagnosis. Is it just me or does anyone else here have this problem?

My feet and hands do get hot at night. And I do get hot flashes. Before my N diagnosis, this never made sense to me.

Since my diagnosis, I have seen a definite pattern and it ties back in to N. When a sleep attack is looming, I get a hot flash (like menopause, but I am a man). At night my feet are hot, which my wife loves in the winter. And my hands are almost never cold.

There is research about the role of temperature in narcoleptics. Essentially, a cold core temp and warm extremities induces sleep. And, a warm core with cool extremities induces wakefulness.

As an experiment, I tried drinking ice water at night and warmed my feet. It worked like a charm- I was fighting my eye lids soon. Then, in the morning I drank a hot drink and put my bare feet on the cold tile floor and I felt more awake. Since then, I try to use temperature to my advantage. In meetings, I will put a glass of ice water against my wrists instead of drinking it. When I get sleepy, I drink something hot to wake up. When I want to sleep at night, I drink something cold (ice cold).

I wonder if this is playing a role in what you are experiencing. Erythromelalgia is associated with pain which you did not mention. How were you diagnosed with this? Just curious.

#4 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Hank. 

My hubby calls me "hot stuff". I'm always hot and hate sweat trails in the hair that feel remarkably like a bug crawling on your head. UGH!

To the OP, you think you're hot now? Wait 'til you get to menopause...I love the walk-in coolers at Costco.

Since I've never had a problem sleeping at night EXCEPT when I'm too hot, I'm going to try drinking the ice water and cooling my core. To stay awake, I need temperatures a lot cooler than my husband. He's wearing a sweater when I'm wearing a T-shirt...and he's a big boy too. Go figure...you'd think that all that padding would keep him warm...not.

#5 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

I feel very alert when I am shoveling snow and I love to exercise when it is cold out- a warm core and cold extremities to the trick for me.

Even exercise when it is hot out helps.

The things that don't work for me are generally the things that others find relaxing:
- sitting in a comfortable chair, watching football on tv and drinking an ice cold beer. Toss in fatty carbs (like chips or nachos) and I am fighting my eye lids. So, I am not much fun at a Super Bowl party- it has all the ingredients for sleep for me.
- sitting outside in the heat and drinking an ice cold drink
- wearing slippers or warm socks when the house is cold
- drinking a warm cup of something to relax before bed time
- curling up on the sofa for a movie with the lights dim

It is interesting how I can give the wrong impression to others. I am generally active and like to keep busy. I keep in good shape and am not overwieght. I do not drink alcohol. I don't generally sit around relaxing. I make a really bad couch potato.

For example, we went to a July 4th party. I played horseshoes and badminton with the teenage boys for 2 hours in the heat and had a blast. The other dads were in the shade eating snacks, drinking beer and relaxing. Some of the wive's poked their husbands to get up and play with their sons like me, so they joined in for a bit. I am just managing my symptoms, but it makes me look like super-dad.

Once I stopped to cool off, the only drink was a cold soda- and I started to crash. My wife understands, so I made a quiet exit and left before the fire works. My wife and I always take separate cars so our family does not need to leave early for me. I was careful on the drive home because my eye lids were fighting me.

#6 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Kudos to your understanding wife.

We only have one car...and I have been known to crawl into the backseat, have a nap and return to the gathering.

Whatever works for you and I consider us both lucky to have spouses who understand.