Photo

Oily Sweat--Yuck!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jlmmjr

jlmmjr

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in staying awake and productive! :)

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Lucky me, within the past few days I've developed the wonderful oily sweats. 

What is everyone else's experience with this? How long did it last? Will it ever go away? 

And did you find any soap, etc., that helped? I took a shower today and felt just as greasy when I got out as I did before. 

I feel like a duck with a waterproof coating! 

Thanks! 

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

I did have oily skin and posted almost the same question. It felt like baby oil. Apparently this is related to the release of Human Growth Hormone and others have experienced it also. Try searching the forum for "skin" and see what shows up. It did even out and I wound up with better skin. No more dry flaky skin, no more cracked lips. My hair texture got softer. I also noticed that my eyelashes got sticky for a while. I think it only lasted a few weeks. At least it is summer so everyone else is a little sweaty looking too. I just washed my face during the day and wiped my face with a cloth. Nothing special.

#3 jlmmjr

jlmmjr

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I had seen that other people experienced this as well.  Actually had I not seen it on here, I wouldn't have thought it was xyrem since I've been on it 6 weeks.  I've learned that side effects come and go frequently with this stuff.  Tomorrow is the first day with this new side effect that I have to be out of the house looking "presentable" so I'm hoping I can keep makeup on for a few hours! :)  Hopefully it'll go away in a few weeks...that's all I need to know, that it's most likely not permanent.  Thanks again! You've been a great help! 

#4 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

if your regimen includes amphetamines you and I both get the oily sweat. these are useful ways I have discovered.

cold tap water 'birdbaths'; douse head/arms w lots of water, lean far forward to keep clothing dry as possible. have towel or paper towels at hand/out of dispenser to quickly dry off. make sure to minimize exertion or you trigger more sweat-takes practice refreshing!

clay masque. wal mart has a lemon clay masque for 2$

try it; you like it

#5 jlmmjr

jlmmjr

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:57 AM

Thanks! This will work when I'm at home...surely a girl can't just get her head wet in the sink and look good :) 

Been on xyrem 6 weeks, added ritalin almost 2 weeks ago. I used to sweat soooooo bad when on antidepressants.

Hated it--just my head would sweat profusely, it was gross! So I took oxybutynin to counter the sweats, which helped some. 

I weaned off the antidepressant 1) because I started xyrem and the hope was that I'd feel better and wouldn't need the antidepressant

and 2) because I couldn't stand the sweating, which I dealt with for years. It's been a cruelly hot and humid summer here and I couldn't 

handle sweating so much.....

And then this started!!!! And it's oily! 

Did this ever go away for you? And I assume you used the mask just on your face? Anything work for for overall body? I can't stand how I feel like my hands are always dirty. Call me weird, but I can't stand the feeling of my hands being dirty, so I end up washing my hands every 10 minutes because of this thick oily feeling. 

Sigh, things to get used to. 

Thanks for the help! 

#6 jlmmjr

jlmmjr

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

Ok, now I'm totally grossed out. My eye's are oily. Or it's my lashes, whichever, but it's making my vision blurry. I had to work out of the house today and put makeup on and within 30 minutes, there was a haze! As soon as I came home I took it off, but still feel like I have goop in my eyes. 

To make it WORSE, I think I'm coughing this crap up! Today I've had to blow my nose like crazy (but no cold or allergy symptoms) and I'm coughing up weird guck!!! 

:angry:  :( This too shall pass, right? God, I'm afraid of what tomorrow will bring. 

#7 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

You sound just like me with goopy eye lashes.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a history of sinus infections and congestion.

The reason I ask is because I was blowing out and coughing up !@$* while on Xyrem. When it stopped after about 10 days, I could breathe freely through my nose for the first time in years.

So, for me, the oily skin subsided and the gunk stopped. Nothing permanent- it was like my body was cleaning house and getting rid of the junk it didn't need.

#8 jlmmjr

jlmmjr

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yes, I have suffered from allergies for years with lots of sinus/respiratory issues. That's how I know this isn't allergies or a cold. (I'm 41 and have had allergies all of my life).  Heck, even my mouth feels slimy.  I'm a bit concerned today seeing as I'm so "congested".  Hmmm, now that I think about it, my body was getting "congested" days before the oiliness appeared.  I have asthma, but not severe. Last week I suddenly had to give myself 2 breathing treatments a day and I usually only need one if I have bronchitis (once a year or every 18 months). I thought it was weird, but attributed it to the xyrem as it does cause issues with breathing.  Now that I think about it, all this makes more sense.   Hmm, interesting.  Well, it'd be nice to not deal with congestion at all after this goes away (hoping it goes away soon).  I have a seminar to go to tomorrow from 9-12, it's going to be interesting to see how I can handle this in public. Ugh. And it's hot and humid and rainy in Ohio. Oh joy! :) 

#9 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Have tissues with you, keep yourself well hydrated and tell people you have a cold. The hot and humid weather will be a good cover for your oily skin. Enjoy the growing pains and hang in there. Hopefully you will have beautiful skin and a clear nose when this passes.

#10 jlmmjr

jlmmjr

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

Just in case anyone finds this topic later.....

I bought a generic version of Proactive acne system (Target and WalMart have them, hard to find sometimes, but MUCH cheaper than the name brand).  

It has helped TREMENDOUSLY with the oil on my face and neck which have been the worst.  By the time the day is done, I will have washed my face 3 times, but it has worked great and I'm sure that if I needed to wear makeup for a few hours, I could pull it off. 

And covering the rest of my body in baby powder seems to help with the rest. 

:) 

#11 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

I used to have terrible night sweats from the Xyrem... until I realized I would fall asleep undercovers and not budge until it was time to take my second dose... every night I would have to change my cloths and sleep on the other side of the bed...

Now I just make sure my arms and back are out of the covers when I fall asleep... simple fix lol felt a little stupid when I realized that after 6 months!!, but wanted to share just incase anyone else is having problems with night sweats.  :wacko:

#12 jlmmjr

jlmmjr

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

lol, I did the same thing.  Now, with oily sweats, I wish I could levitate when sleeping. I don't want anything touching me!!! :) 

#13 jlmmjr

jlmmjr

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

Update and more questions: 

I had great success using Proactive products on my face and Nutrogena Body Wash every where else to help control the oiliness (anything with salicylic acid, for acne). I used a Rosemary Mint shampoo/conditioner to help with the oily hair. I also doused myself with Goldbond BABY cornstarch. I was taking 2-3 showers a day just so I didn't feel so gross and sticky. Eventually, this started to go away and I was down to 1 shower a day but still using all of the products above.  Then all of the sudden, it started coming back! I had the same feelings of feeling very heavy, moving slow, couldn't stay awake, etc.  I don't know why!! I'm wondering if it has anything to do with diet? 

Did anyone else who experienced this have it return or come and go? 
Thanks for the help! 

#14 needbetterlife

needbetterlife

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

I naturally have oily skin but never had this effect from it?

#15 jlmmjr

jlmmjr

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten any better.  Well, it comes and goes.  I got excited when it started easing up, but then it came back full force. Since the end of June/beginning of July it's been doing this. (one really bad week and then it eases up and almost disappears and then comes back, repeat x3 months) I saw a dermatologist yesterday who was at a loss. He said I'm already doing everything he'd recommend so my only option now is to stop xyrem or deal with this oily stuff.  It's so uncomfortable and when it's bad, I'm slower than I ever was with non-treated N. I'm going to give it a few months and see what happens. I've heard others say it takes them upwards of 6 months to get fully acclimated to xyrem and deal with the side effects, so maybe by 6 months in, it'll go away. Now that the weather is cooling off, it should be more bearable.  I don't want to stop xyrem, because I feel better than I have in 20 years, but this is just horrible as well. My skin hurts from scrubbing so much and I don't dare try to wear makeup for long because my eyes are oily and so are my eyelashes. Thank God I work from home, but if I have a meeting or seminar, I'm miserable  :(  

#16 incoherentswirl

incoherentswirl

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Don't know if it's related, but some of my symptoms fluxuate (night sweats, sleep attacks, dreams, general fatigue), and go from just being fairly bothersome but still allowing me to work, up to the point that I can't do much of anything but sleep 20+ hours day for as long as a week at a time.  Doc said that it's a bit weird, but when I mentioned that I've been in perimenopause for what feels like forever and asked if it could be a factor to the random flux, he seemed to think that it could be possible.  For reference, my night sweats and ever increasing fatigue, dreams, etc really started to became troublesome when I was around 25, I'm pretty sure that the perimenopause kicked in during my mid to late thirties, and I'm now 45.   Oh, and unlike I think I read you'd experienced, forgetting to take my antidepressants (most of which supress REM) is a definite trigger for my vivid dreams and night sweats to increase significantly.  As I'm also in the allergic/asthmatic club and had breathing problems when I tried Xyrem, I don't take it and it doesn't factor into my equation; however, my sleep doc has another patient that has allergic reactions to the Xyrem but gets by taking only one dose a night and making sure to also take antihistamines as well.  Sorry if this is a bit scattered...but I'm coming off a week of quasi-coma (sleep) and I'm still feeling extra dingy...