Photo

Any Other Diseases That Mimic Narcolepsy?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

An EEG on a Narcoleptic is likely to show fronto temporal slowing and "bursts" of bi-hemispheric slowing. That is what microsleeps look like on an EEG.

I went through a sleep deprived 24 hour EEG by a neurologist before my accurate diagnosis. Although my abnormalities were not "epileptiform" I was treated with a seizure medication.

Do consider a second opinion for your testing. If you are in the gray area - not a text book case- the opinion of the physician becomes very important. Unfortunately, doctors tend to diagnose what they like to treat. So, I would suggest that you prepare yourself for a second opinion before starting treatment and accepting a diagnosis for something that may be debatable.

Whatever you have, I hope you find the answers and get some relief.

#22 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Narcoleptics would probably also show a lot of increased theta wave activity, especially if experiencing partial cat or sleep attack at the time. Theta waves seem to be predominately responsible for REM.

#23 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Narcoleptics would probably also show a lot of increased theta wave activity, especially if experiencing partial cat or sleep attack at the time. Theta waves seem to be predominately responsible for REM.

My 24 hr eeg also showed significant alpha intrusion during sleep.

So, please make sure whoever is reading your EEG understands sleep. There are so many anomolies PWN experience - lots of inaccurate conclusions can be drawn by focusing on one but not all abnormalities.

I asked my sleep doc all the questions my prior neurologist was unable to answer. The "bursts" of slowing, alpha intrusion, movements in sleep- essentially that is what you see when you don't know what you are looking at.

Just make sure your doctor knows- and just as important- knows what he doesn't know.

#24 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

it's a horrible odor that comes and goes not only here at home but I have smelled it in several places, outside,stores and such and my husband and daughter never smell it. Comes and goes. Smells like a mouse that is dead and decaying someplace is how it smells it's very foul . When I first started smelling it I thought as most would, is it my breath and each time I had my husband tell me and always a no lol..

My neuro said between that and the aurora (pattern in the eyes)  that he believes its temporal seizures . 

Seizures and sleep disorders will alot of times be present together. Day two on the Lamictal xr and it may be to early yet but so far my head feels normal  and last nights sleep was good and I woke up feeling refreshed compared to always waking up blah and tired. It could be the meds or I am just having a good day.  

If I go back and look at some of the signs it makes sense but it also fits some of the N as well. Hearing things I swear people say when everyone around says they didn't, wondering why I am in the kitchen and not remembering I walked in their, Have trouble saying or starting a sentence, can't gets words to come out of my mouth . Hard to say and I am by far no neurologist. I just want it figured out and to be me again.  

I guess the eeg and the doc will get it figured out soon. As for now I am keeping fingers crossed it's the meds working and stays that way.  I do not have the jerking like most think of with a seizure . Not even sure I have them but if he is right then of course I wouldn't know lol.

To much to take in but I understand how he might come up with it.  severe concussion and temporal fracture can do alot to the brain and it all started  ( the N and possibly the seizure) just a few months ago  since the my left temporal fracture.  I must have knocked some wires loose in my brain lol. Sorry but I joke alot, it's easier to deal with that way.

Interesting. I have had a lot of luck with Lamictal, though it seems it has run out. Every time I went up on dose, it would give me about 3 good weeks. But the last increase hasn't done anything for me. I have wondered if I am sometimes having partial complex seizures.

#25 cremesoda34

cremesoda34

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

thanks for all the info, I will wait and see what the eeg results and doctor say and then if needed I will go for a  second opinion if needed. I had an eeg a year ago and was normal so not sure how that will come into play if this one is not, but I also didn't have any problems like I am dealing with now. Eeg is in august as they are booked untill then. 

#26 cremesoda34

cremesoda34

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

Attached File  wreck 008 (800x600).jpg   512.63KB   0 downloadsHere is a pic taken after my wreck last year . Most damage was to left side of my face and body. This is when most of the problems started a few months after. Left temporal bone fracture has caused so many problems along with severe concussion.  The brain is a mysterious organ. 

As you can see , my left check bone is sticking out from the fracture. I am back to looking like me again just some minor scars from the road rash.