Photo

My Experience With Psg/mslt- Meh.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Music, science, languages, cultures, travel, video games, my super amazingly awesome son.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

I had my polysomnogram and MSLT done last night/today and just wanted to share my experience since I know a lot of people ask about them.

I showed up at 7:45 pm and they got everything done by just before 10. I didn't find it terribly uncomfortable but I didn't feel like I could breathe well out of my house with the nasal cannula and mic. Also, the tape on my face bothered me a bit but nothing so much that I couldn't sleep. I went to bed shortly after. I would suggest to anyone to take ear plugs if you're allowed. I slept like I do on my worst nights which might have been beneficial. I woke up often due to sounds in the hall.

They awoke me just before 6, removed my leads (that they replaced soon after) and talked to me about the MSLT. I was told I would take 4 naps and a 5th if 2 or more contained REM sleep. After the first 2, where I felt I slept quite well, I was told they would keep me for a 5th. The other 3, I wasn't sure if I had fallen asleep, but I knew I had memory lapses so I figured I might have. The only thing they could tell me was that I did, indeed, sleep in all of the naps.

Apparently my neurologist reads them himself so, although I don't have an appointment with him until the end of July, I should hopefully have an answer from the test in 1 or 2 weeks. I am excited to get some answers. I already had the non-conclusive DNA test that looks at a strong marker of narcolepsy which I tested positive for. We shall see.

All in all, I didn't find the tests to be terribly stressful, nothing more than what you'd expect. I was much more comfortable than I expected I would be and the room was set up much more homey than an average hospital room.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Sounds like you did pretty good for a first sleep study. Cool.