Photo

I Have Fmla But Still At Risk Of Losing My Job?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Employed @ current job for 1 and 1/2 yrs. diagnosed w/ N for about 5 months. I have FMLA but I may still be at risk of losing my job b/c of my "accommodations" the dr wrote our for me to take a 15 min nap every 2 hours. Which I will not being doing anyways!!
Does anyone have any suggestions about this!?

I only have an FMLA in place rite now b/c my meds keep changing b/c nothing seems to be working. As soon as I can get my EDS under "control" I won't be applying for FMLA anymore.

I'm afraid for my job.
I need it and they are son hard to come by these days!!
N sucks!!!!!

Thanks in Advance!!

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

I'd say try to show them a sign of good faith. Lots of people erroneously associate narcolepsy with laziness. So come in on a saturday every once and a while or offer to work late, etc, just to show you are trying.

#3 3.8jake

3.8jake

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Have your doctor change your accommodations to alter or remove the 15 min nap every 2 hours if you don't need it.  ADA protects those with a disability to a certain extent and they would have to document why a 15 min nap every 2 hours is a serious impairment to your job function.

#4 hbananas

hbananas

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, movies, The Grandkid.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

If I were to be diagnosed and have a prescription like yours, I cannot think of a single place in our office where I could have a nap.  I'm hoping for medication, and I can't imagine the hassles of napping.  More power to you!

#5 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

I had to go on disability.  There is no way any employer can reasonably accommodate us, and it's not fair to them either.  My employer did have a first aid room with a smelly old mattress on the floor.  How do you explain to someone who doesn't have this how you can be alert one second and then five minutes later, have to drop everything and go lie down somewhere?  Work is all about deadlines.  They all think we're faking it.

I went to my sleep doctor the other day and his waiting room was full.  I got an attack and had to lie down somewhere, anywhere.  The sleep lab was right there and I just went into a room and got on the bed.  I was freshly showered and had nice clothes on -- dress shirt and slacks, and I made sure my feet were not touching the bed.  A sleep tech. came in and chased me out and then complained to my doctor's receptionist that they had to change the bed sheets now because I touched them on top and put my head on the pillow.  Now, if they don't understand, and this is a sleep lab, how can I expect my employer to understand?

I show up at my doctor 15 mins late and get chewed out by the receptionist as well, and they know I have narcolepsy.  How many times have I waited 2 hours to see him when he fell behind schedule and never once complained?  Nobody truly gets it.  If I try to drive before the stimulant is fully effective, it's like driving impaired and I could kill someone.  Sometimes I wish I could give them narcolepsy for a week so they would know what it really feels like.

#6 3.8jake

3.8jake

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Nobody truly gets it.  

"Just get some more sleep, drink more coffee, stop making excuses for being lazy, try harder, and stop blaming all your short comings on narcolepsy.  It's not that bad..."

Which one of those are your favorite?

I still haven't figured out how to answer "How are you feeling?" and "Are you OK?" with out flat out lying.