Memory Issues

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

I wasn't aware of the Citizens Commission being a front group for the Church of Scientology...but I did enjoy reading the two medical journal articles that were included as links on their page.

#22 lizzQ

lizzQ

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

I wouldn't say my problem is that I have terrible memory, but rather that I have terrible recall. Also, I've noticed that I actually have excellent long-term memory but my short-term memory is awful. It's like my memory bank is closed off and I have trouble accessing it unless I'm awake and alert (which is rare). I know the thoughts or the words are in there somewhere, and I know who my best friend is, but it's like I blank on simple vocabulary and recognition.

#23 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

I just returned from a business trip to the west coast. Most of the others I travelled with from the east coast were jet lagged. I travelled in the day before so I was not jetlagged when meetings started.

I never talk about my symptoms at work. However, it was funny to me to listen how much everyone else complained. I completely understood their drowsiness, lack of sharpness, crabbiness- I lived with chronic jet lag for years.

It is amazing to me to read the symptoms of sleep deprivation and how perfectly they overlap with the majority of N symptoms.

Anyone who has been around an overtired 2 year old can also attest to these symptoms.

I think we are all amazing that we live with these chronic symptoms with little complaint. Our baseline for how "normal" feels is very skewed. Just listening to jet lagged coworkers made me realize how exceptional we all are. Their super-hard travel/meeting day is just another day for those of us with N. Seeing how others react to feeling our "normal" for just one day was eye-opening.

Even though I discontinued Xyrem in January, I am still benefiting from having been on it. I am getting a taste of a different "normal" where I don't feel jet lagged every day.

Normal is relative- we know that all too well. We need to give ourselves an enormous pat on the back. We will never get "sympathy" from others who cannot fathom what that feels like every day. Their jet lag has a common reason- and it goes away. Ours is for an uncommon reason- and it never goes away. I am thankful for every day that it stays at bay.

#24 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

That was a beautifully written post Hank. Kudos.

Now, I've got an old song running through my head by Barry Manilow...

"I made it through the rain...and found myself respected...by the others who...got rained on too...and made it through..."

#25 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

#26 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm having lots of cognition issues as of late, but I think a lot of that is because something tripped my panic attack trigger again, so about the past 5 days, I've been in a very high anxiety state, which seems to make me loopy after so long. I think it was just a medication imbalance but it's being exacerbated by stress at work and having to get ready to move this coming Wednesday. In fact, i've still got two accounts to transfer over that I meant to do last week, but just go so stressed I forgot. I wish i could have a normal brain instead of a stupid narcolepsy and anxiety brain.

#27 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Stress can be brutal, anxieties can be hell. 

It sounds like you've currently got real reasons for both, unfortunately. 

Try an focus (distract yourself) on when it's (the big stressors and anxieties) are over with, and you'll be more so afterwards, chilling...

Hope that you are able to manage it without more difficulties arising and also able to, at the same time, manage to mellow it all out for your brains sake.

A 'not surprising' article, somewhat relative:

http://www.scienceda...30626143031.htm

#28 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Well, in the weeks leading up to my anxiety relapse, I was getting much less sleep. My lamictal had been helping with my N symptoms which led me to push the envelope and only get about 7 hrs of sleep a night. That and my abrupt cessation 5-htp which had apparently been helping with my panic attacks all along are what I think caused this latest anxiety relapse. So I slept 10 hrs friday night, and took a 3 hr nap yesterday, as well. I slept about 9 last night. I'm thinking I'll take a nap in an hour or so...

#29 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Drink a lot of water, especially when having any attack/episode of real effect.

That, at least, helps me to breathe better and find calm.

Best of luck to you.