9 replies to this topic

#1 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,099 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

What the actual f*ck??? http://abcnews.go.co...99#.Ubocdpx8Fuk

These people had genes in the genome patented???? SImply because they discovered them? And it took this long and had to go to the supreme court to get overturned? Jesus, why not just patent like the entire breast. No one else has done it yet, so it's fair game, right? Ugh. Imagine how far N research would have been set back if our particular HLA gene had been patented. We'd most likely still know next to nothing about how our conditions arise. This is why we can't have nice things. Or rather why we can't have healthy people in an age of unparalleled scientific achievement.

#2 AnnieJoy

AnnieJoy

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Ecology
    Environmental Toxicology
    Epistemology
    Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

I don't know what idiot first decided it was socially acceptable to patent biology. First plants, now genes. Sigh. 

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Patent law really needs to be updated to the 21st century. I think stuff like this and the crap Apple pulls on a daily basis prove that the system is broken. Funny thing is, most of the people in favor of keeping the patent/copyright/trademark system in the dark ages are the same people who espouse free-market capitalism. I'd love to hear one of these hypocrites explain to me how being able to patent broad ideas, slight variations on themes, and extant resources is not a barrier to a free-market system, just to see the fuses in their heads blow.

#4 SleepyMann

SleepyMann

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:The great outdoors, avid podcast listener

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

You raise a very interesting point.   Perhaps a collective effort by those with Narcolepsy could bring attention to this fact in Congress.  But, I have not idea on how to start such an effort...  Ugggh!

#5 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

ROTFLMAO!...snort! I thought you had to be Narcoleptic to even get into Congress...they are all asleep at their desks.
I was under the impression that anything naturally occurring could not be patented but that a man made modification to something natural could be. Did I misunderstand?
Sidebar...do ya think that the phrase ROTFLMAO was coined by a PWN with cataplexy? ;)

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

I don't even think GMOs should even be able to be patented. Because the fact of the matter is, they cross-pollinate and get out in the world. Then Monsanto sues any farmers who end up with Monsanto GMOs due to said cross-pollination. It'd be like if the RIAA uploaded music to your computer against your will and then sued you for piracy.

#7 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

I am NO fan of Monsanto and their practices. Read this...
http://grist.org/new...bug-resistance/

Does this remind you of resistances to antibiotics? When will humans realize that bacteria, parasites and viruses are WAY smarter and more adaptable than we give them credit for. STOP with genetic modifications before there is NO food left to eat.

#8 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

How's everyone's imagination today?
I envision this huge intelligent hookworm, with a whip in his hand, overseeing workers toiling in a field. The crop is corn...the workers are Monsanto executives.

#9 Krickett

Krickett

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Cars,reading ( mostly stephen king, dean koontz, anne mcaffery, forensic books) forensic science....sleep... tattoos, modeling, big bang theory

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

And just a side note.. in my research i have found that there are SEVERAL hla genes that are frequent in PWN... ASIDE from the magical 602...why the focus is ONLY on the 602 I dont know.. but there is like 7 primary ones.

#10 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

And you would like to share this information with links, wouldn't ya? I'm certainly interested.