Photo

Natural Remedies & Nature's Reasons For N

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

I don't understand why you want to eliminate b and d vitamins- even temporarily. Both are essential to many bodily processes including metabolism, iron levels in the blood and bone density. You won't be able to completely eliminate vitamin D anyway - as the body synthesizes it when there is ample sunlight to do so.

Seriously though - the deficiency of b vitamins can cause anemia, which would increase your tiredness and vitamin d deficiency can lead to the higher risk of osteoporosis. Once you hit your mid to late twenties, the body can no longer absorb as much calcium. This means that those who did not get enough, are more likely to have weak bones and develop osteoporosis. But you need vitamin d to absorb calcium in the first place! And women are also at a much higher risk due to the fact that we can become pregnant and breastfeed - all of which takes away from our own calcium supply.

Unless you have an excessive amount of vitamin d - but even then it's not likely to cause very many problems. And it's impossible to get too much of the b vitamins as they are water soluble and will just be excreted. This is also why vitamin b deficiency is so dangerous - the body has no storage of vitamin b (because it isn't fat soluble) and therefore it cannot use it if it is not being supplied via nutrients.

#22 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Sleepingmonkey, please listen to Hank and Examino. They are giving you good advice. Vitamin D and all the B vitamins are critical to good health and well being.

#23 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

C'mon guys, don't be too overly dramatic. I'm not sure it's the best idea either, but I really doubt she'll be in any serious danger. Monkey, if you suspect that perhaps your vitamin levels are approaching toxicity, maybe go get a blood panel done to check? If nothing else, it'll give you a baseline to see how stuff fluctuates once you start tweaking it.

#24 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

FYI...
http://www.whfoods.c...trient&dbid=103

http://www.psycholog...what-does-it-do

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000GFHPNY ...thanks to Sleepingmonkey I found this...the customer reviews are an interesting read.

I do recommend a supplement of Vitamin B6 to complete the conversion...and NO caffeine or smoking. That will be the toughest part for me since those two have been my crutch for over 23 years.
Interestingly, on the first link, we eat a pile of those veggies every week and a lot of chicken.
Be very aware of food additives and colourings...avoid them if possible...they are counter productive to good health and restful sleep.
I just fell off my pedestal.

Edited to add:
Found this one with the B6 included. Read product description

http://www.amazon.co...0DN0HJBJYN0GYBY

#25 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hmm.  I've had a hard time getting a blood panel for vitamin/mineral levels, my doctor basically just said take 2,000 vit D each day, followed up by it's been related to a lot of things but not found to be causative of them.  So, I still to this day have not had such panel done.

I do take the 2 - 1,000 vit D pills each day and sometimes I also take fish oil although I'd begun trying to eat salmon (the only seafood I've found that I like ;/ ) twice a week. 

That's all that I take, however I eat in a careful manner and I also try hard to keep my mind in a relaxed/calm place, doing daily (most , 4-6 days a week) exercises for circulation and body/mind calming/meditation... 

Stretching out my limbs, breathing in and out, while counting slowly as I hold the limbs out/stretching them, focusing on my body and core; that's more or less what I do 15-30 minutes at a times, sometimes a couple of times in a day.

What I can say has worked for me is what I've posted many times on the forum, it's not 'cured' me by any means but it has not only helped me to lose some weight (which for years wouldn't budge regardless of doing a lot of physical activity/exercise and eating better -not compared to now though-) it has helped across all my health matters, including headaches and fatigue.  My Cataplexy for years had been progressing gradually, then I had a bad escalation of it to a point that I was literally debilitated and could hardly at all leave my house for reasons of safety out and about, collapsing 5-20 times each day from the most minimal triggers.  Before the escalation my Cataplexy was around a handful of collapses perhaps each month and sometimes perhaps a handful in a week.  The escalation occured during getting my diagnosis, a sleep breathing machine was required (due to having minimal-moderate Idiopathic Central Sleep Apnea, according to the Polysomnography), so over a long course of 9 months, my Cataplexy escalated.  I should have stopped so'oner, as when I finally stopped such (using the machines - I had a very difficult time with this all and the doctor was not hearing anything I was telling her so I continued on her recommended path until I went to a world reknown facility where they listened and recommended I get off the machines -) and my Cataplexy regressed to 'more or less' where it had been prior to beginning that course, but the sleepiness side of it all sort of appeared as the regression occured.

**(-I know that may all have been hard to follow-)**

Around a year after the above, my Cataplexy was occuring around 5 times (collapses) a month, sometimes around 5 in a week but it can be odd in that I'd go a few weeks without any collapses. 

At that point, I found a D.O. (who came highly recommended by a good friend, and his entire family) who did many Acupuncture and (blood letting) Cupping treatments, along with recommending that I try a few months of gluten-free and dairy-free, no sweets and daily walking; things I'd been considering for a long while but just overwhelmed by the idea and reality of them.  So, I began down a different path, which has definitely helped me.

I've cooked for years and find it most often pleasant and satisfying (at times it can be meditative).

Cooking my own meals and being very careful as to what I eat or cook with, is what it comes down to at this point.

I've cut out most all sugars, I occasionally will use a bit of honey.  I eat a lot of fruit smoothies, which I try to use grapes or a little bit of water or a non-dairy milk (almond, coconut, or soy).  I use 'Himalayan Salt' and avoid table salts entirely.  I try to use a lot of cinnamon whenever possible, for instance in the coffee (I go back and forth in spurts, from normal to decaf) that I drink I use a large quantity (tsp - tbsp), along with a tsp - tbsp of non-dairy milk. I've cut out as much gluten as possible, and that was not easy, remains difficult at times that I'm traveling (like currently, in Nicaragua - no one understands it here, I'm looked at in a confused manner and continually offered things over and over by the same people who I've tried describing it to).  Also, I've cut out dairy as much as possible, I go for weeks or months without any to then slipping up and having bits (which I do notice cause me more fatigue/sleepiness as well as respiratory, asthma, like reactions that can be quite a while after the consumption). 

Today, my Cataplexy is mostly minimal although it can still act up at any unforeseen time/interaction but I've not collapsed for over a month and I can deal with the minimal episodes pretty well.

If you've read all of the above, who knows what you think!  Maybe it all makes a little sense, to some other?

I think we're all different and sensitive to different things, react to different things and there's no rule-book nor tablet/pill that can 'cure-all'. Nature is nature.  Life is life.  People will be people.  Everything evolves.  Somethig to remember is that: No one, nor all, can know it all, nor even begin to...

-p.s.-  As for my thoughts on N w/ C as a life component/character aspect, it is something I've always had which progressed in a manner that really limited/limits certain functions/abilities.  Although, that is not to say I'd be a different person without it, I feel there are things it has gifted me with as well as things it has cursed me with.  It's all a juggle but I am glad that I can (at this point) recognize and explain it (to a point).  The dreaming aspect has always been just a sort of normal, everyday, thing to me; I'm sure those who know me find it at times annoying and 'over the top' but I can say that without such mindset I'd not have achieved certain things I have, perhaps I'd have been able to function and/or do other things I've not managed.  It's all a trade off and again, a juggle.  It's in my mind, like nature.  There's no place that doesn't experience a storm now and then and there are places that experience storms near all of the time; those places have different qualities and different processes, as well as variating mannerisms and characteristics.  Societies, languages, cultures, nature, disease; all evolve and change, be it on their own or by forces which occur naturally or more and more so, perhaps somewhat synthetically.

Tecnology has definitely had quite an impact over, 'especially' the past 20 years - we should all recognize that and not, not consider its relevance...

#26 sleepingmonkey

sleepingmonkey

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Phish, parenting, painting, wire wrapping healing stones/crystals into jewelry, books (postmodernism, fictional prose, gallows humor, satire), dining al fresco, the sun on my face & the grass between my toes, fashion

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

This weekend was horrible. I stood up in a wedding and slept 3 hours Friday night and 5 Saturday. No time for naps. Today I have had no less than 20 C attacks. Mostly laughter induced, though often apropos of nada. Once was so bad my upper and lower teeth slammed together during the fall...thankfully no damage. Sucks!!!!!!!

#27 sleepingmonkey

sleepingmonkey

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Phish, parenting, painting, wire wrapping healing stones/crystals into jewelry, books (postmodernism, fictional prose, gallows humor, satire), dining al fresco, the sun on my face & the grass between my toes, fashion

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

No time but just saw the updates. I'm not eliminating it all completely - but to a regular degree. I consume FAR more of both than the average person. So, I'm looking for a baseline, and what (if any) effects I see as a result of not consuming large amounts. If I see negative effects, which is expect to, I will know it's something I should continue to consume at the rate I'm consuming them - however, in supplement form as opposed to sugar free red bull. I want - need - to understand how everything effects my body specifically.

#28 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

http://eveliens.hubp...ven-Deadly-Dyes

#29 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

That may all well be true but they don't cite any sources. Plus, European Union loves nothing more than to legislate people's bodies. I think it is stupid that we dye our foods though. Who cares what color it has? I realize that there's a certain amount of hardwire programming to associate appearance with past culinary experiences, but it was stupid we started doing this in the first place. If nothing else, it's a waste of money and research developing these dyes. I've come to distrust a lot of food studies though, particularly the human ones because I think they never use proper control methods just because, well, it's nearly impossible to do so. I remember a few years ago, there was a pretty hilarious juxtapostion of two studies released with in the same week: one claiming red meat increased risks of cancer, the other claiming it reduced risks of cancer. Both of them had data to back up it up. That tells me the way a lot of these studies are conducted is crap. Plus, I think many times there's a lot of confirmation bias, in other words, the study proves out what the scientist believed in the first place. The scientific method calls for hypotheses, but they aren't supposed to be tied to personal beliefs or whims.

#30 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

I am in total agreement. Some studies (perhaps all) are rigged. I personally think the FDA is a patsy to Big Pharma.
However, we're only talking about the ultimate subject and that would be you, the individual. If you eliminate a "potential" problem and you feel better then what have you got to lose?
Something can cause a headache or problem when it's ingested...or it can cause a headache or problem when it's taken away as in withdrawal from caffeine, sugar or drugs.
Does it fix N? NO! But it may eliminate some other problems that are making you feel like crap and compounding your agony.

#31 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

There's a fun old book out there that I've been wanting to read for a while. My old stats prof mentioned it. It's called "How To Lie with Statistics." Hope I get around to it some day.

#32 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

LOL!
I cannot remember the last time I had a headache but, after all these years, I can pinpoint exactly what I ate that will make me feel a certain way. Some foods are worth it...tonight will be a homemade curry...tomorrow I will drag my butt around but tonight I'll have happy tastebuds.
"THEY" are messing with our food and not everybody's body can cope with it. The only soup that Campbell's makes that doesn't have MSG in it is tomato soup. I am also wary of "No MSG ADDED" labels...because MSG does occur naturally in some foods like potatoes.
BTW, that was just one link...there are many available for your perusal.

#33 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

I am in total agreement. Some studies (perhaps all) are rigged. I personally think the FDA is a patsy to Big Pharma.However, we're only talking about the ultimate subject and that would be you, the individual. If you eliminate a "potential" problem and you feel better then what have you got to lose?Something can cause a headache or problem when it's ingested...or it can cause a headache or problem when it's taken away as in withdrawal from caffeine, sugar or drugs.Does it fix N? NO! But it may eliminate some other problems that are making you feel like crap and compounding your agony.

The gold standard is a peer reviewed double blind randomized placebo controlled study. Questionable studies do not meet this standard.

I am interested to know facts to support your opinion that the FDA is a patsy to Big Pharma. I hold the opinion that this is not the case. That opinion is based on evidence. For example, the FDA removed a rotavirus vaccine from the market because of concern about a rare complication. Although this turned out to be statistically insignificant, they stood by their decision. If they were a patsy to Big Pharma, I would not expect such an outcome.

Food dyes are really not the realm of Big Pharma, but maybe I am missing your point.

#34 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

The gold standard is a peer reviewed double blind randomized placebo controlled study. Questionable studies do not meet this standard.

I am interested to know facts to support your opinion that the FDA is a patsy to Big Pharma. I hold the opinion that this is not the case. That opinion is based on evidence. For example, the FDA removed a rotavirus vaccine from the market because of concern about a rare complication. Although this turned out to be statistically insignificant, they stood by their decision. If they were a patsy to Big Pharma, I would not expect such an outcome.

Food dyes are really not the realm of Big Pharma, but maybe I am missing your point.

The point I was making wasn't abut big pharma but more about food related studies. Studies concerning this are dubious, no matter how much blinding or peer reviewing. It's virtually impossible to regulate every little thing a person does throughout the day. Plus you have various genetic makeups, metabolic rates, enzyme production levels, etc, etc, etc. The same point could be made about pharma studies as well, but it's easier to control there, since all you are really looking for is the effect of the drug. I think the FDA and pharma's interests do coincide at times, and they will reward some pretty ridiculous patents/extensions on occasion. Plus, they serve as a barrier to, well, riskier or less studied drugs, which while probably good for the overall public health, does give Pharma some business security. I would like to see them exist in a more advisory capacity.,IE: put labels on stuff like, Warning, this sh!t has been known to make people's arms and legs fall off or hasn't been tested by anyone at all or whatever. But depending on the situation, for some drugs, the risk might be worth it. Especially in cases of terminal illness, where death is guaranteed, why the hell not let that patient try what they want. Oh, and they're definitely in bed with Monsanto. http://en.wikipedia....chael_R._Taylor

Calling them a patsy for big pharma and other corporations might be a bit extreme, but whenever you've got big corporations dealing with government officials, there's always some grab ass here and there. It's how the game is played. However, as you said, the FDA has often brought the pain to pharma companies misrepresenting their products or producing bad juju. So is it good or bad? The answer is both. As is the answer to almost everything.

#35 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

I lost my post with a lot of links 'cuz I had too many windows open. You said it well Rabbit.
FOLLOW THE MONEY. Am I cynic and a skeptic? Oh yeah.
G.D. Searle Company developed Aspartame...bought by Monsanto...bought by Pfizer

http://en.wikipedia....earle_&_Company

http://www.fda.gov/o...er0001-vol5.txt

http://ivn.us/2013/0...nsanto-company/

Everyone is free to eat and drink whatever they want. Life is choices...my choice is to live without chemicals and additives. The chemical Alar used to be sprayed on apple trees 'cuz people wanted their apples red...it's now banned...and DDT...and? It would be really nice if some of this stuff could be subjected to testing that actually showed that it killed people before it happened. There's an impossibility for ya...FDA overwhelmed, underfunded and run by humans.

#36 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

I am not meaning to go off on a tangent. I just get tired of sensationalism, in whichever form it comes.

Jumping from food additives to Big Pharma demonization and FDA being a patsy just rubbed me the wrong way.

Many of us rely on medications to manage our symptoms. I do. These medications are brought to us by Big Pharma. They are thoroughly studied and some of the few options we have. We do not live in an ideal world, but how many lives have been saved, prolonged and improved by the medications that have been developed.

I do not put these medications in the same basket as aspartame and food dyes. Confirmation bias, in "studies" or opinion, is not something I value.

I am a big fan of the "trust but verify" approach which differs from mistrust.

I keep up on medical journal articles, clinical trials and regulatory issues with my work. The conspiracy theory stuff, when it occurs, is the exception rather than the rule. It is not how things are done.

#37 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

Of course medications help people. I'm on a few myself. I don't think anyone here is alleging that they're all poison or anything. But the world is full of small people with small minds that hide behind regulations and the law in order to benefit themselves. Maybe that's just me being cynical, but, more broadly speaking, I think the overall state of this country supports me there. Getting back to the topic at hand, I know for a fact I, myself, was harmed personally by deception perpetrated by GSK. Because they got caught and had to pay through the nose. The question is, for how many times they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar, how many times do they not? Western medicine is not the devil. I think the increased life expectancy and quality of life in our era speaks for itself. Medical science amazes me daily. I was just reading an article earlier about how they have finally got prostheses talking to sensor neurons, so amputees can actually feel things they touch. But just because medical science has done good, doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to the bad. I'm not the with the tin foil hat crowd; I tend to think most conspiracy theories are pretty wackadoodle (Although, Alex Jones is hilarious, so I hope doesn't go away soon because he keeps on putting out entertainment gold.) Generally speaking again, I don't believe that corporations are inherently evil or any thing like that. If I did, I'd quit my job, because I work for a decently sized publicly traded company myself. But I'd say I follow the verify, then trust method, instead of the trust but verify in pretty much all facets of life. I've been told bold-faced lies too often to operate otherwise. But I do think I know why you're incensed. There does seem to be a conspiracy theory groupthink going on in the modern day world. Nowadays, it seems like all you have to do is point a finger, make some vague accusations, and you've got yourself a lynch mob ready to take some Marx to the "bourgeosie." But then you have stuff like the whole Snowden scandal, which gives true cause for distrust, further muddying the waters. I guess it's easy to get paranoid. A lie is most convincingly hidden between two truths, and the conspiracy nuts take advantage of that maxim just as much as people of privilege. That's why I tend to apply the same cynicism I have for business/authority to grass roots conspiracy think-tanks as well. I guess that makes me truly cynical; I won't even trust a cynic. I guess that's why my politics make most people mad; I never fully agree with anyone, especially myself. Well, now we have really gone off on a tangent now, haven't we? Sorry, sleeping monkey!

EDIT: I forgot to include this link; it's pretty hilarious, and it kinda goes to show how ridiculous conspriacy theorism can get. http://www.brobible....s-an-inside-job

#38 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

Is it possible to just agree to disagree?
I am concerned for my grandchildren's health and well being...back to food dyes ONLY.
http://blog.thegreen...od-dyes-debate/

Everything that is shown "blue" in the article is a link to further reading.
If your children or grandchildren are among those that are not affected then I'm very happy for you. Bringing documented information to the table does not make me a sensationalist, it makes me a realist. The choice to believe it, or not, or further check it out is entirely up to the individual.