caffeine sodium xyrem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pinkpeony

pinkpeony

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

I am posting this in case it helps someone else. I have struggled with finding a solution to my heart racing and feeling quite unwell on xyrem. I also had extreme anxiety that went away when I did the following and drank tons of water and added a multimineral and multivitamin. I think the sodium depletes so much that it is actually the sodium that is the cause of the anxiety and not the xyrem. I have found the following solutions to have fixed the problem.

HOW TO COUNTERACT TOO MUCH SODIUM IN A DIET

Table 2 : Approximate Sodium Content

per Total Nightly Dose of Xyrem (g = grams)

XYREM DOSE

SODIUM CONTENT/TOTAL NIGHTLY EXPOSURE

3 g per night

550 mg

4.5 g per night

820 mg

6 g per night

1100 mg

7.5 g per night

1400 mg

9 g per night

1640 mg

Diets high in sodium put you at risk for serious side effects such as high blood pressure, heart attack and stroke. According to the McKinley Health Center, adults should consume less than 2,300 mg of sodium per day. Follow a low-sodium diet and eat potassium-containing foods to counteract the effects of eating a diet high in salt for a prolonged period of time. Consult your doctor before making any dietary changes to manage your sodium levels.

Step 1

Follow a low-sodium diet. Cook from scratch. According to Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D., of MayoClinic.com, 75 percent of the sodium in the typical American diet comes from processed foods. Food manufacturers use salt to prevent spoiling, but they also use it to accentuate some flavors and disguise others. To counteract an intake of too much salt from processed foods, Zeratsky recommends cooking your meals from scratch, using fresh produce, lean meats, poultry and fish. Opt for unprocessed grains and add small amounts of salt if necessary. Foods to avoid include table salt, processed meals, lunch meat, chips, fast food, soy sauce, salad dressings, pickled foods, canned soups and vegetables. Check food labels to find products with "no salt added" or "reduced sodium." Season your food with fresh herbs and spices instead of salt.

Step 2

Increase the amount of potassium in your diet. Sodium and potassium work together to help your body maintain an optimal balance of water. According to Iowa State University, potassium counteracts the effect of sodium on blood pressure and adult intake should be approximately 4,700 mg daily. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults consume at least 4.7 grams of potassium per day, but most Americans do not even get half this amount. A high salt intake coupled with a lack of potassium disrupts your water balance and causes your blood pressure to rise. A baked potato gives you about 610 milligrams of potassium, and a banana provides 422 milligrams. Dried fruit, spinach, tomatoes, fish and Lima beans or white beans are also rich sources. Foods high in potassium include spinach, kale, broccoli, fresh fish, tomatoes, bananas, raisins, prunes, melon, carrots, potatoes, squash and shellfish. If you eat a banana with breakfast, a salad with beans and greens for lunch and cooked halibut or tuna with a baked potato at dinner, you can give your body all the potassium it needs for the day, countering your sodium intake.

Step 3

Receive medications for the treatment of hypernatremia. When sodium levels get too high in the body, medical intervention is required and you may require hospitalization. IV fluids are administered to reduce sodium levels. Take diuretics, as directed, which reduce the amount of sodium by producing urination to get rid of excess fluids.

Step 4

Drink two to three quarts of fluid every day. According to the Chemocare website, high sodium blood levels can be counteracted by drinking two to three quarts of water every 24 hours. When you consume too much salt, your body tries to dilute it by holding on to as much water as it can. You may notice a bloated feeling when this happens. To help your body dilute the excess salt and decrease bloating, drink water. According to Professor W. Larry Kenney at Pennsylvania State University, the amount of water you need depends on how active you are. People who burn 2,000 calories per day need about 2 liters, but athletes may need four times that amount. Because it is extremely rare to develop low blood sodium from a high water intake, the IOM has not set an upper limit for daily water consumption.

Step 5

Limit your intake of caffeinated beverages and alcohol. These substances may produce electrolyte imbalances.

Step 6

Your activity level plays a role in determining how your body eliminates excess sodium. If you are sedentary or a light exerciser, you excrete most of it through your urine, but if you are active and exercise vigorously, much of it is purged through your sweat. The average person loses about 1/2 teaspoon of salt through sweat for each hour of exercise. Depending on the intensity and air temperature, some people lose twice that much. If you have taken in too much salt and are trying to dilute it by drinking water, go for a jog or spend an hour at the gym to help your body purge some of the excess salt.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

^All very sound advice from what I've read and well presented, too boot! An excellent resource, pink, thanks for posting!

#3 pinkpeony

pinkpeony

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

No problem! Really helped me. ;)

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Its very true, the Sodium was what was causing all of my stomach issues and more... Very good advice. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: caffeine, sodium, xyrem