Adderall And Depression

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Just5MoreMinutes

Just5MoreMinutes

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

I have been taking adderall to treat my narcolepsy and find that it is actually helping my depression as well. I did some research and it seems to produce a bout of euphoria/mania, which is why some users abuse and take it in high doses. When i take adderall, i kind of feel like everything in my life is in the right place, i'm a bit happier than usual and i feel like i can do so much. This, plus the fact that it pretty much eliminates my EDS and gives me alot of focus and productivity makes it a miracle treatment for me. If only it didnt destroy my appetite (seriously, i wouldnt be surprised if people use this as a dietary supplement, I have to force-eat whatever food I can manage when it's in effect).

Anyone else feel this way?

#2 loltex

loltex

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

Yup. Pretty similar feeling for me. It helped me get over the apathy / made me interested in things I used to like again. I was also underweight by the time I stopped taking it, so keep dem calories up.

A word of warning. The downfall of extra focus, productivity, and feeling like you can do a lot is not concentrating on / doing the things that need to get done. You still have to have tremendous discipline to ensure that you don't just do the things that you find to be the most fun in the moment. 

#3 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Yup, that stuff is great. I'm on Dexedrine, which is chemically similar, but feels quite different. For me, the focus that I get from Dexedrine is amazing, but no so much of a "high" comes from it. I don't mind this actually, because it means I have to seek out the most pleasurable things in life. My meds have done a lot for me as well. Before meds I was kind of in a slump. I had no drive to do anything with my life, but now I have picked up old hobbies again and pursued new ones like Philosophy and Physics. The reason for the high and the focus is because these drugs effectively create more dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is the neurotransmitter that makes you feel happy. It's often called the brain's reward mechanism. Your brain gives you dopamine every time you do something fulfilling.

Like loltex though I have lost quite a few pounds. It just seems like it doesn't matter how much I eat anymore, I still weigh too little. I have somewhat experienced the problem that you talk about. It's not so much of a logistical problem for me, it's more of a social problem. I am more inclined to work on whatever I am doing than humor those around me with fake sympathy. Going to High School is tough this way, because I am often dragged to mandatory events like assemblies or things of similar nature that are a waste of time. People get genuinely angry at me when they see me deep in thought and ignoring the speaker's story of how they ran a marathon, collapsed in a bush, and then came unto God. <<<< Joking. But really, people do get pissed when they feel like I am prioritizing something else over what they feel is important for me to hear. I have to be discrete with these things, especially during a classroom lecture that consists of reading and explaining self-explanatory directions that were given to us earlier. Never the less, I kind of like my somewhat blatant disrespect in this regard, and I enjoy having such clarity of thought on meds, and because of my interest in Philosophy, off meds as well.