Xyrem And Cold Medicine?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

I have a cold right now and am completely stopped up. Is there a decongestant I can take with xyrem?

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

I'm sure some pseudophedrine is just fine. I found the Xyrem warnings to be ridiculously broad. Like for instance, they said no drinking whatsoever, but that's silly because your body can metabolize a shot in one hour, so as long as you drink early enough and in an amount that your system can purge in time, there's zero danger. All of those warnings are just butt covering. If you're worried, take the sudafed in the morning to be double sure, but I'm almost positive you could wash down the pill Xyrem and be fine.

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Look at this stupid list: according to it, you're courting danger if you take an aspirin.https://online.epocr...ug Interactions

#4 lkl

lkl

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

I think they mean if aspirin is combined with another drug, that could interact with Xyrem, rather than aspirin on it's own.

I agree that straight pseudophedrine or phenylephrine should be fine with Xyrem, just make sure it is not a combination cold and flu tablet that has a sedating antihistamine in it as well. You could also use a decongestant nasal spray, as another option.

#5 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

I talked to the xyrem on call pharmacist tonight and she said I can take the cold medicine I have with the xyrem since it does not contain alcohol or antihistamine. It is store brand version of DayQuil.

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

We won't supposed to take antihistamines? Whoops, lol, I still took Unisom with my Xyrem, haha.

#7 e.lena

e.lena

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Healthy lifestyle, exercise, being independent forever!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

I can tell you from personal experience to be careful with Naproxen (250mg) (Aleve) and Xyrem. It may be that I am female with a lot of drug intolerances, but the two drugs together caused me to slur my speech, see trails, near fainting episodes 3 times, vertigo, severe (pulsating) headaches, migraines, my contacts became to tight due to eyes swelling, confusion. I felt like I was going crazy. I stopped all daytime meds (except dextroamphetamine because I have to work) and decreased my dose of Xyrem to 7 grams per night instead of 9 grams, thinking it was just the Xyrem. I started having the symptoms all over again when I took Naproxen again the next day. I have a fractured foot and posterior tendon tear, so I have to take something to alleviate the swelling and pain. I'm trying Celebrex for the first time since I started taking Xyrem, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#8 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

e.lena thanks for the warning. I am sensitive to medications too so I will be careful.