Photo

Misfits, Misfits, Misfits

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Music, science, languages, cultures, travel, video games, my super amazingly awesome son.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

I have always gone through phases of obsessing about a certain band in that I will listen to them over and over and over for months then go to another band and do the same, eventually coming back and doing the same to the other. I usually don't care much for the people, personally, just the music. The last few months, it's been the Misfits. All eras, all albums, over and over. What bands/artists do you tend to be that way with?
These are the ones I tend to do this with: Depeche Mode, David Bowie, Muse, Arcade Fire, Joanna Newsom.

#2 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Music, science, languages, cultures, travel, video games, my super amazingly awesome son.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Add Interpol.

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Well, since you are a punk fan, I guess we are supposed to hate each other because I'm a prog/art rock fan :P Just kidding, always thought that feud was asinine. It wasn't even a thing until the critics started it by making statements like "punk has saved rock and roll from the excesses of groups like Yes/Genesis/Pink Floyd."  In fact some of my favorite bands are prog/punk crossovers (The Mars Volta, Voivod, The Cardiacs, Dodsverk, Dog Fashion Disco(somewhat)) .But my current obsessions are The Tangent, Voivod, Spock's Beard, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, Leprous, Scale the Summit, Gojira, Death, unXpect, and Diablo Swing Orchestra. Long list, I know. I have, I believe, 32 days of music in iTunes currently.

#4 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

I will listen to some of those tomorrow. I have to say, I have never heard of any of the bands you mentioned.
I love the Misfits but I wouldn't say I am a punk fan, per se. Bands like the Ramones suck (most Misfits fans would likely crap their draws if they heard me say that). But the Misfits sing about sci-fi and horror movies and themes which I find both hilarious and a good release as well as just seriously interesting. I am a songwriter and I could never be witty enough to write that kind of stuff. Or as ballsy.
I will pretty much listen to anything that catches my attention but I will admit to being very picky.

#5 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

I will listen to some of those tomorrow. I have to say, I have never heard of any of the bands you mentioned.
I love the Misfits but I wouldn't say I am a punk fan, per se. Bands like the Ramones suck (most Misfits fans would likely crap their draws if they heard me say that). But the Misfits sing about sci-fi and horror movies and themes which I find both hilarious and a good release as well as just seriously interesting. I am a songwriter and I could never be witty enough to write that kind of stuff. Or as ballsy.
I will pretty much listen to anything that catches my attention but I will admit to being very picky.

That's okay, noone ever knows what I'm listening too, lol. But for sci-fi....

EDIT: Lyrics just cuz Snake's Canandian accent can be hard to decipher at first:

Thinking about another project
How the hell are they gonna make it
Anyway nobody's gonna object
Even if they make *BEEP*
Now you better get wise
Lasers passing through the sky
For me there's no alternative
This sphere is a bad place to live
Growing technology
Fooling technology
Killing technology!!!
The star wars have started up
The new invention is coming out
Making a spider web over the atmosphere
To make them sure that we can't get out of here
Computers controlling your functions
Seems like we got electronic alienation
Trading children for a new kind of robot
Waiting for the old people to disappear
Growing technology
Fooling technology
Killing technology!!!
Use the killing technology
How can I destroy the enemy
Security plans are not easy to find
That's my generation, the nonsense time
You lose your function
You're just a substitute
You lose your function
Glad to see you change
You've got automatic moves
Take your pills to have energy
And sit down in your robotic living room
People are gonna progress
Who knows whether we'll get more or less
Some say it's the beginning of the end
Some say they've got our lives in their hands
Growing technology
Fooling technology
Killing technology!!!
Look at the chaos, how much does it cost
The circuits gleam
Push this buttom, memory runs
You're gonna pay for this
Ready or not, ready or not !!!
Tomorrow is the fear
The fear will come from the sky, from behind!
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

#6 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

I've been all about punk to metal throughout my life, but mostly anymore I get down to the following sort:

Classics, of another fasion:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...bed/Pfxwe3S8qOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...bed/1JhTM0Lar3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And, everyone should watch the movie 'Rockers' at some point(!):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...bed/P4ZainYObaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#7 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

DeathRabbit- I would say that the bands I liked out of all of those you listed are Spock's Beard, Leprous, Scale the Summit, and Diablo Swing Orchestra. I thought the Tangent sucked. Sorry. But there is a band called Camel that I absolutely love and I think they sound somewhat similar. I guess the Tangent is just maybe a little too easy listening, a little too elevator music, maybe. Of course, that's just my opinion. After listening to Gentle Giant, I hope you have also listened to a decent amount of Frank Zappa, whom I would prefer. I am not a big fan of growly vocals. That's the type of stuff my husband likes and the bands he's played in. I have tried. I can really love the music, but I just can't get the vocals. Maybe the only band I can stand like that is Insomnium, and I can't even take too much of them. My friend had me listen to this song when I was in Finland and I could listen to it all day:

Also, I have listened to Jethro Tull a lot. I didn't notice his name in the list before. However, I much prefer watching his live performances above any album stuff. 

sk8aplexy- I love, love, love reggae. It's funny that you posted the Congos because after listening to the first video, I was searching for Fisherman by the Congos to send to you on here. What a coincidence. I hadn't heard much about them until my good friend from Puerto Rico made a list of a bunch of reggae. Such amazing stuff. If you like stuff in different languages, I would suggest Natiruts. I learned about them while minoring in Brazilian Portuguese at Purdue. Very good, more modern reggae. 

#8 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Also, sk8aplexy:

Even though I took a lot of classes that had to do with slavery and black culture, I never made the connection that just as much pure reggae comes from Puerto Rico as Jamaica. Many slaves were first taken to Caribbean islands for generations before coming here so the same thing can be found all over around there. 

#9 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

DeathRabbit- I would say that the bands I liked out of all of those you listed are Spock's Beard, Leprous, Scale the Summit, and Diablo Swing Orchestra. I thought the Tangent sucked. Sorry. But there is a band called Camel that I absolutely love and I think they sound somewhat similar. I guess the Tangent is just maybe a little too easy listening, a little too elevator music, maybe. Of course, that's just my opinion. After listening to Gentle Giant, I hope you have also listened to a decent amount of Frank Zappa, whom I would prefer. I am not a big fan of growly vocals. That's the type of stuff my husband likes and the bands he's played in. I have tried. I can really love the music, but I just can't get the vocals. Maybe the only band I can stand like that is Insomnium, and I can't even take too much of them. My friend had me listen to this song when I was in Finland and I could listen to it all day:

Also, I have listened to Jethro Tull a lot. I didn't notice his name in the list before. However, I much prefer watching his live performances above any album stuff. 

sk8aplexy- I love, love, love reggae. It's funny that you posted the Congos because after listening to the first video, I was searching for Fisherman by the Congos to send to you on here. What a coincidence. I hadn't heard much about them until my good friend from Puerto Rico made a list of a bunch of reggae. Such amazing stuff. If you like stuff in different languages, I would suggest Natiruts. I learned about them while minoring in Brazilian Portuguese at Purdue. Very good, more modern reggae. 

I do like Zappa, though not as much as GG. He had some great stuff, but his output was pretty inconsistent. Roxy and Elsewhere, One Size Fits All, and Hot Rats are my favorite Zappa albums. I've heard Insomnium before. Not bad, but not my cup of tea. They remind me of In Flames a lot, which I also never could get into. Not that I think they're bad or anything. Oh and Camel is great, but if you hate easy-lstening I would strongly suggest avoiding the Moonmadness album, haha.

#10 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

I very much enjoy Snow Goose.

#11 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

I have to be in the right mood for Snow Goose. I think I overlistened it when I first got it. This is probably my favorite Camel track:

#12 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Well I feel out of place, lol. But the bands/artists that I never seem to truly tire of are:

Linkin Park, Michelle Branch, Tori Amos, Avenged Sevenfold (though I prefer their older stuff), Darren Hayes, Eighteen Visions, Miranda Lambert, Keith Urban, Nickelback, Sugarcult and 36 Crazyfists. 

#13 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

I've heard Tori Amos before; she's cool. Kinda like a gen x Kate Bush it seemed to me.

#14 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Currently jamming to this; this song never gets old, what with the genre-hopping and hilariously raunchy lyrics:

#15 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

That wasn't bad, actually. I will have to listen to it again when I am able to pay more attention. I have been listening to this song a lot. Lykke Li is ok. Like Adele, she has a few amazing songs on her albums, then the rest sound like forced garbage (in my opinion).

I love nautical-theme stuff even though I am a typical aquaphobe.

#16 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Oh, also Five Years by David Bowie almost brings me to friggin tears each time. It's so brilliant. A song that's written about finding out, in a public place, that the world is going to end in 5 years and then brilliantly describes the chaos that would likely ensue in the immediate aftermath.

#17 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

That reminded me a whole lot of old school Santana. Back before he sold out.

This is my current song, I mean it is literally assaulting my ear holes right now. It's like funky, mathematical vampires attacking with slide rules. I *BEEP* you not, the one weird counterpoint/solo trading section at the end of this song is in 6/16 time: