Photo

Being Asked For Change...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

This is to vent more than anything else.

Please know I'm not against anyone on the streets....

I am a bit curious if others have experienced Cataplexy in this situation?

Being asked for change. 

Each day, just about, I take a walk through the downtown of where I live, I buy a coffee and I walk home. 

For years I've been sporadically asked for change, here and there, on the walk.  Lately, there has been a major influx of people doing it, it seems.  I have a huge heart and feel for all of them, but I do not have money to give out, I hardly have the money to buy my coffee; not to mention I have no money for practically anything, being I live with my Mother and don't have a career due to complex difficulties which some of relate to this disease.

It is a mix of emotions though which trigger the Cataplexy, some being understanding, frustration, relating, bitterness or annoyance (as it is every single day and the same persons it often seems). 

I've collapsed over a handful, or two, of times in the past couple of years.  I've frozen and had to awkwardly put my coffee down, before possibly dropping it.  I've mumbled many times, 'no' or 'please try to remember to not ask me, I have a medical condition' (never has stuck).

In fact I just had a realization about why, in part, it triggers the Cataplexy; I don't want to drop my coffee...

#2 tkozman

tkozman

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

i read once on the old u.k.a.n. site [united kingdom association for narcolepsy, now narcolepsy uk] that in a survey of possible triggers, respondents listed "Response to a Call for Action" as a likely trigger!

does it sound possible?… ;->

#3 tkozman

tkozman

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

p.s.:  lately, my personal trigger has been sort of a self-fulfilling fear of dropping things, or of falling.  it sort of sounds like this part of what you said:

"...In fact I just had a realization about why, in part, it triggers the Cataplexy; I don't want to drop my coffee…"

#4 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

This is to vent more than anything else.

Please know I'm not against anyone on the streets....

I am a bit curious if others have experienced Cataplexy in this situation?

Being asked for change. 

Each day, just about, I take a walk through the downtown of where I live, I buy a coffee and I walk home. 

For years I've been sporadically asked for change, here and there, on the walk.  Lately, there has been a major influx of people doing it, it seems.  I have a huge heart and feel for all of them, but I do not have money to give out, I hardly have the money to buy my coffee; not to mention I have no money for practically anything, being I live with my Mother and don't have a career due to complex difficulties which some of relate to this disease.

It is a mix of emotions though which trigger the Cataplexy, some being understanding, frustration, relating, bitterness or annoyance (as it is every single day and the same persons it often seems). 

I've collapsed over a handful, or two, of times in the past couple of years.  I've frozen and had to awkwardly put my coffee down, before possibly dropping it.  I've mumbled many times, 'no' or 'please try to remember to not ask me, I have a medical condition' (never has stuck).

In fact I just had a realization about why, in part, it triggers the Cataplexy; I don't want to drop my coffee...

I totally get that. As I learn what triggers C for me, it seems that multiple emotions or underlying stress increase the likelihood. 

And only being able to mumble a few words- I am with you on that also. A carwash attendant startled me while I was waiting and I could not speak. She stood there talking to me, then stared at me like I was being rude. I just wanted her to walk away without asking me questions. 

Next time that happens and I can only get out a few words, I plan to say "BAD GAS"- that is likely to make a person walk away from me without asking questions. 

Maybe you could consider asking them for money first. I hope you find a way to enjoy your morning coffee. 

#5 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

Someone on Reddit, suggested this:

-Sun Glasses

-Head Phones

-No Problems

This could work!  Gotta try it, tomorrow.

And tkozman,  I definitely think that "Response to a Call for Action" is interesting and quite fitting as well.  Such is related to my cluster of emotions; having spent 'a lot' of time in Central America, the children begging hits so much harder (yet I've not been down with the Cataplexy, as much or in many years, so gauging that today would be different) in regards to 'dyer needs.'  There's just so much to it all...

"Bad Gas" -> Good one! 

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

I still sometimes give out money, but I'm always really cynical about it. I've heard at least the same sob story 5 different times downtown. Some guy will come up to me and it's some variation of the theme "Me and my fmaily are heading to blah and we ran out of gas/broke down and one of us is also sick, so if you could spare 5 or ten bucks to get us some gas." I'm pretty sure once he has my money he heads to the nearest meth/dope dealer and gets his fix. But I still occasionally give money to these people on the off chance 1% they might actually need it and aren't just scamming me. We don't have many homeless around here though, so I guess I'd feel differently if someone looking like Aqualung came up to me to ask for any spare change.

#7 tkozman

tkozman

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

i wonder how many meth users might actually be undiagnosed people with narcolepsy, who are self-medicating?  

#8 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

i wonder how many meth users might actually be undiagnosed people with narcolepsy, who are self-medicating?  

I just don't understand why anyone would do that. For Christ's sake, if they're gonna break the law, why don't they just get some illegal adderall (disclaimer:not advocating in the slightest) instead of something that was mixed up in a kitchen sink by a redneck who never passed 10th grade and prolly couldn't even read the drano label.