Havnt Started Driving Yet.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gurr24

Gurr24

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hello everyone, i am new here. I'm a 15 turning 16 soon girl. I've been officially diagnosed with Narcolepsy since sometime around the beginning of December of  2012. i really started having problems my 1st year of high school. I'm now a Sophmore. I suspected i had Narcolepsy even though people i consulted, including my doctor said probably not. I have Narcolepsy w/ cataplexy. I dont take Medication because of personal choice. My sleeping has started to get much better actually. I do have times when i cant keep my eyes open or didnt even know i fell asleep even though i was aware that i was very sleepy. You guys get the Mojo.

Resently, i have managed to convince my mom to let me take drivers ed classes. Havnt started or signed up yet. I really wouldnt care waiting to get my license but since i'm taking running start, i really want/need to be able to drive myself to and fro from classes. I was wondering what any of you guys do with your driving situation?? Do you drive or no? Public transportation? And if you take medication or not or those that do drive.

For those that have gotten Narcolepsy before they got their permit and drivers license, did you tell the people that you had Narcolepsy because we have to tell them right? I read somewhere that it takes a VERY LONG time and causes many problems by letting them know. But is that illegal if we don't tell them? 

And just wanted to let you know that i have started to get a better control over my disorder so i know when im getting my "sleep attacks". So i don't think i would be driving and suddenly pass out. if i was even a little bit drowsy i would pull over and what not. But just wanted opinions and what you guys do with the driving situation.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

I wouldn't tell them anything, unless you're officially on disability.

#3 jstjoehere

jstjoehere

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Driving with narcolepsy especially with out meds is like holding a gun to your head. Ive fell asleep at the wheel so many times before I was diagnosed and even still with meds I have to pull over sometimes and nap or get woke up. I have cataplexy as well thank goodness its never acted up while driving. Ive never told the dmv I had narcolepsy they dont ask. Please please be careful and dont push yourself to drive when your tired. Just like if your watching a tv and dont know you fell asleep it happens behind the wheel as well.

#4 Gurr24

Gurr24

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the feedback. I havnt started driving yet but im gonna be driving around our property with my parents to see if i would fall asleep. And no i definetly will not be pushing myself when driving. Pulling over and taking a little nap never hurt anyone

#5 AnnieJoy

AnnieJoy

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Ecology
    Environmental Toxicology
    Epistemology
    Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

I have also yet to start driving, but because I'll be driving to and from my college back home (45minutes-1hr) and about half of it is straight curves no shoulder and the other half is highway, I have talked myself into taking meds if I am prescribed them. I don't want to risk nodding off on the highway whether I'll be subconsciously alert or not...

The idea of waking up not knowing how I got there--in a car, is not something I care to experience. I have a feeling windows down and radio up loud will be the protocol on most days.  

#6 brianhess@mindspring.com

brianhess@mindspring.com

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

My daughter just got her license today.  She did not tell DMV about her Narcolepsy.  She is on Nuvigil.  We've told her that she's going to be on a "trial" period until we see how her Narcolepsy effects her.  Only drive short distances at first, no nighttime driving.  Also, if she ever feels tired, she needs to call us and we'll come get her.  I know it would've crushed her not to get her license, watching all of her friends get theirs.  We've just tried to stress to her that she has other factors to consider that her friends do not, and that she has to be extra diligent and careful.

#7 brianhess@mindspring.com

brianhess@mindspring.com

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Forgot to mention.. the thing that prompted me to have a sleep study for my daughter, and an eventual diagnosis, was the fact that she fell asleep twice while driving.  Fortunately, she still had her permit, so I was with her.  Since she's been on medication, she hasn't fallen asleep driving or in class.  From a parent's point of view, there's no way I would allow her behind the wheel without her medication.  I've already seen what can happen.  Good luck!

#8 engineerman9337

engineerman9337

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Learning; Driving; Motorcycling; being in control; physics; helping; canines; reading; psychology; philosophy; living with Narcolepsy;

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

It's been a long time since your last post, I hope everything is alright. I had a bad experience with DMV when I was 18. I was a passenger in a car that tipped over. While I was in the hospital, my dad picked-up on one of the Medical Residents improperly billing for visits he did not make and reported to his (my dad's) insurance company. The Resident, in turn, wrote to the DMV that I had Narcolepsy, and did they know? They did not! Evev though it was not my car, and there was no question I was not driving my license was suspended for a year for making false statements on the License Application. I learned a big lesson the painful way. But I never did that again. I drive MC's, cars, small trucks.Been licensed in 3 states, never push sleepiness to where I am driving impaired. It's not easy, but it is really not hard either. Management of Narcolepsy is key. Our tools are knowledge, medication and naps - not necessarily in that order. Right now knowledge is probably your daughter's biggest enemy. I would be glad to tell you the things I have learned in over 50 years with the Narcolepsy Syndrome.

#9 engineerman9337

engineerman9337

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Learning; Driving; Motorcycling; being in control; physics; helping; canines; reading; psychology; philosophy; living with Narcolepsy;

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

I have also yet to start driving, but because I'll be driving to and from my college back home (45minutes-1hr) and about half of it is straight curves no shoulder and the other half is highway, I have talked myself into taking meds if I am prescribed them. I don't want to risk nodding off on the highway whether I'll be subconsciously alert or not...
The idea of waking up not knowing how I got there--in a car, is not something I care to experience. I have a feeling windows down and radio up loud will be the protocol on most days.

#10 engineerman9337

engineerman9337

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Anniejoy:
How is it going for you? If you can, update the forum readers.

#11 engineerman9337

engineerman9337

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Driving with narcolepsy especially with out meds is like holding a gun to your head. Ive fell asleep at the wheel so many times before I was diagnosed and even still with meds I have to pull over sometimes and nap or get woke up. I have cataplexy as well thank goodness its never acted up while driving. Ive never told the dmv I had narcolepsy they dont ask. Please please be careful and dont push yourself to drive when your tired. Just like if your watching a tv and dont know you fell asleep it happens behind the wheel as well.

#12 engineerman9337

engineerman9337

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Jstjoehere: How you been doing since your last post. That's good advice, btw.

#13 jstjoehere

jstjoehere

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:22 AM

Jstjoehere: How you been doing since your last post. That's good advice, btw.

Ive been doing well. Things are a lot better now that Im not working everyday and I can nap as needed. Still raising my daughter on my own and were doing great. But back to the subject of driving. Im doing well driving I dont drive long distances much at all. Usually no more than an hour at a time.. We took a little vacation last summer and I drove 4 hrs to our destination. Made a few stops to get out walk around and wake up but did really well. I miss my high school and college days when I could drive all day and never get tired lol. But this is what I have and I am very careful not to push myself. To the parents out there that are taking extra precautions with their children  and driving GREAT JOB!! Its so important to take every precaution possible.