Hh Specifics

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sleepyk

sleepyk

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hello! I am curious about how others experience hypnagogic hallucinations (HH).  I've read about people experiencing hallucinations of every sense right before sleeping or right after waking up. 

But does that mean that most people experience HH when they are all cuddled up in bed, ready to sleep?  Or, does that mean that HH can happen at any time the brain has a sleep attack?  Meaning, in the mall, at work, on a hike etc?

I am asking because I have been feeling a bit crazy as of late.  What I interpret to be HH happens when I am falling asleep in my bed, and when I am waking up in the morning.  But it also happens at random during the day. 

Yesterday, I went to tie my shoe and a "shadow bug" blob was on the floor.  Once, I was home alone, went to use the restroom, and heard a baseball game clip on tv (when I had no tv).  Just little blips throughout the day.  Mostly visual, on rare occasion auditory.

Most of the HH I experience are benign dark blobs shaped like common animals.  Nothing scary, or lengthy.  The auditory HH is also non-frightening and short.  I might hear an animal sound, or a tv noise, or a doorbell, or a phone.   

My N symptoms as a whole seem to have an ebb and flow, and HH is no exception.  I will have a rough couple of months where HH, cataplexy and sleep attacks consume me.  And then I will have a couple months where I kind of forget about narcolepsy.

But during my rough months when HH is at its peak, I begin to feel as though maybe I have schizophrenia or other psychological disorder.  Just need to hear what others experience.  Thank you!

#2 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

My HH is not nearly as bad as most, but then again I don't have Cataplexy either. I usually just get the typical HH symptoms. Sometimes I get to listen to rock music as I am falling asleep. It sounds so real and clear, I love it. As a kid my parents never believed me when I said I heard footsteps outside my door and faint voices whispering my name. I would wake up in the middle of the night having that feeling that someone was watching, or had just finished watching me sleep. It got so bad that for the longest time I slept outside of my room. The hallway, the family room, the stairs landing, anywhere that made the whispers and the feelings go away. I developed a strong habit of leaving a T.V. on while I sleep. Music didn't work, it had to be T.V. I had to hear someone talking and be certain where it was coming from. Trying to sleep in a dark and dead silent room would send me into panic attacks. Eventually I found my way back to my room. The voices and the feelings of someone being just out of perception occurred a lot less. To this day I still can't quit my T.V. habit. I mainly just stream online video from my computer, and I have it set to automatically shut off at 2:30. I suspect that I may have lots of random auditory HH in the mornings a lot now, but it's hard to tell. I have always complained of how noisy my house is in the morning. I hear banging doors, cupboards, glasses clinking, doorbells ringing, dogs barking. My family swears they aren't that loud, but I have a feeling i'm not the crazy one this time.

Hallucinations are just that though, hallucinations. They really aren't a sure sign of insanity. Plenty of people experience hallucinations without being the slightest bit crazy. You're all right my friend, there are plenty of others going through the same thing.

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

I would get your eyesight checked just to be sure, as seeing blobs can be an early sign of lots of problems like glaucoma or imminent retina detachment. But yea, prolly just normal HH stuff. Definitely not schizophrenia. It's schizophrenia when you believe what you're seeing is real.

#4 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

I only experience HH in bed. Falling asleep or waking up. Either at night or during a nap in the daytime. Sometimes they are visual and sometimes only audio. Just the other night I woke up to one of my kids screaming out for me. My eyes were still closed. i opened my eyes and it was silent. My eyes fell back closed and I heard the scream again. I opened my eyes, nudged my hubby and asked him if one of the kids was screaming. He said no. My eyes are always closed when I have these. Although I think they are open because see the room and everything in it (during the visual ones anyway) They are not just dreams though. Very vivid and realistic. Now that I think of it though, there have been a few occasions when I have opened my eyes and seen images briefly. They disappeared after a few seconds. I have also felt very real pain in dreams and awakened only to still be in pain for a few seconds before it disappears. Very creepy.

I never get hallucinations while up and about. I have heard that some people with N do though.

BTW, I don't have cataplexy either.

#5 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

I only experience HH in bed. Falling asleep or waking up. Either at night or during a nap in the daytime. Sometimes they are visual and sometimes only audio. Just the other night I woke up to one of my kids screaming out for me. My eyes were still closed. i opened my eyes and it was silent. My eyes fell back closed and I heard the scream again. I opened my eyes, nudged my hubby and asked him if one of the kids was screaming. He said no. My eyes are always closed when I have these. Although I think they are open because see the room and everything in it (during the visual ones anyway) They are not just dreams though. Very vivid and realistic. Now that I think of it though, there have been a few occasions when I have opened my eyes and seen images briefly. They disappeared after a few seconds. I have also felt very real pain in dreams and awakened only to still be in pain for a few seconds before it disappears. Very creepy.

I never get hallucinations while up and about. I have heard that some people with N do though.

BTW, I don't have cataplexy either.

My dreams have worked IRL pain into whatever I'm dreaming about before. The best example was way, way back in HS, I was addicted to Rogue Spear (a VG), so much that evidently I was clearing rooms of terrorists in my dreams. Anyway, in my dream, my team rushed into one room, and, before we could react, a grenade hit and peppered my stomach with shrapnel. The pain was explosive, and then I woke up and had to run to the bathroom, because I was having one of the worst stomach cramps of my life, lol. Til this day, that's still one of the strangest nocturnal things that's happened to me; virtualizing real pain.

#6 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

The dreams that involve pain bother me the most. If taking xyrem will get rid of those dreams I am all for it.

#7 h.wynn

h.wynn

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

I have a cat that bites me in my dreams or HH whatever. I wake up in pain. I am confused by why my mind is comeing up with ways to hurt me when I am sleeping.

#8 iturnedintoamartian

iturnedintoamartian

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Music, science, languages, cultures, travel, video games, my super amazingly awesome son.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

I have had them in so many different situations. The one that scared me most happened while I was experiencing sleep paralysis. Once, I was going into work and saw lots of bugs, an amount I knew couldn't be real, crawling on the wall. Once was accompanied by the only time I have experienced obvious cataplexy. I worked at a restaurant and we were quite busy. Throughout our rush, I kept hearing microwaves going off but, when I went to check, there was nothing there. All of them have only occurred, though, when I was in some kind of extra foggy mental state. Anymore, the only issues I have are thinking I see things moving out of the corner of my eye a couple times a week, but I know it's just because I often push myself too hard. 

#9 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Genetics, baking, music, animals, hashing.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

Mine are usually after I have asleep, typically about 30 minutes or so. The majority are when I'm in bed, but I will never forget the time I had one while driving. Please note, I am aware at how dangerous this story is and it's one of the main reasons I have specific tactics for waking up if I get sleepy while driving.

Once in high school I went somewhere with friends and long story short, we went the wrong way for three hours when we were on our way home. So, a four hour ride home turned into a 9 - 10 hour trip home. We had been at an amusement park all day and so of course we were already exhausted when we began the trek back. I decided to drive the entire way back because quite frankly, the girls I were with weren't the most responsible and I didn't want the only other one with a license driving my car. About an hour from home, we were on this back road in NC and it was very wooded. You know when you're on a small road and the trees will be spread out over it? Well, I was driving and I remember being so startled because I saw a cartoon dragon coming out of the road under the branches right towards me. I jerked awake and my friend asked me if I wanted her to drive. Scared the mess out of me. :/

#10 Potato

Potato

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

When I was stuck working an early morning shift I would nap on my hour lunch break and I would often be extremely exhausted beforehand. On most days I would start hearing voices, faint conversations in the distance, before I even closed my eyes. This was before my diagnosis of narcolepsy so the question of schizophrenia did enter my mind because one of my cousins has a bad case of it, but I quickly realized it only ever happened when I was about to go to sleep and doing some research it wasn't hard to determine it was just hypnagogic hallucinations. Now when it happens I just ignore it for the most part and am comfortable with the fact that I'm just hearing the start of my dreams before I'm fully asleep.

My hallucinations are almost always exclusively auditory, although on a couple of occassions I have had hallucinated spiders repelling down from the ceiling and crawling over my body, or insects crawling up into my bed and biting me. The worst part about the visual hallucinations is that they usually occur during bouts of sleep paralysis so I can't move to shoo them away, haha. Thankfully I actually like spiders so that one doesn't bother me too much. The bugs biting me, on the other hand... not so much. After one of those I always have to thoroughly check my bed to make sure there weren't actually any bugs. XD