Ral L-Carnitine

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 GuruMeditationError

GuruMeditationError

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

I did see a drop in my Triglycerides.  I also had the luxury of having 2 blood tests a day apart from each other, so I did an experiment.

For the first test I did the required fasting as normal.  My triglycerides were down from 298 to 198.  A big improvement. 

For the test the next day I did the require fasting but I took the CoQ10, L-Carnitine, Omega-3 supplements.  My triglycerides that day were 154, and I saw an improvemnt in my HDL numbers too.

#22 CheeryBunny

CheeryBunny

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:N with C

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

Wow--that's amazing! I think I'll give this a try...

#23 supertired

supertired

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'm going to try it. Thanks for the post.

#24 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Just wanted to update. I've still been taking the Oral L-Carnitine (liquid) and DHA. The 15mg L-C works, but only for a few hours. Taking it multiple times a day provides the best benefit. 

Never tried CoQ10. Interesting, GuruMeditationError.

#25 supertired

supertired

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

I bought some this weekend and today is my first day.

It was kind of expensive - $60 for one month supply of liquid for 2 doses a day.

I took 1 tablespoon in the morning and will by another bottle for work so I can take a 2nd dose at lunch.

I don;t know if my office is just warm as I live in Dubai or if it is the carnitine but I do feel a little warmer.

Overall I feel more energy, not enough to be joyful, but enough not to feel so sleepy.

I also took the Omega 3 and CoQ10.

I would say it's worth a month or 2 of trials before making a real judgement.

#26 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

An update: 

After some research, I determined that ALCAR would probably be better than the free form L-Carnitine. I have started using it for the last week and it seems to last longer and is more "focused" in my head and not my body. I am only at 1,000mg currently; will adjust as needed. 

Carnitine, specifically Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR), is being investigated for chronic fatigue syndrome as a biomarker of fatigue is alterations in the levels and distribution of ALCAR in the brain at rest; specifically the pre-frontal cortex.[207] This tends to be accompanied by a reduced uptake of ALCAR into the brain, which may precede the reduced neural levels of ALCAR.[208]

10.1. Fatigue in Healthy Humans and Animals

Supplementing ALCAR into the feed of animals increases ambulatory activity (defined as overall distance traveled) in both young and old rats, although the increase is typically much greater in older rats.[80][209]

In otherwise healthy humans, Acetyl-L-Carnitine at 2g (paired with another 2g of Propionyl-L-Carnitine) in older men was able to decrease fatigue while alleviating symptoms of 'andropause' (erectile dysfuntion).[205] Older individuals still (71-78) experience reductions in fatigue, as well as improvements in sleep disorders related to fatigue and reductions in post-exercise fatigue.[210]

10.2. Fatigue in other Disease States

It has been shown to decrease fatigue in a human population of hepatic encepalopathy, secondary to reducing ammonia levels which tend to induce fatigue,[211] reduce quality of life,[212] and hinder cognition.[213][214][215] As these benefits are seen by therapeutically reducing ammonia, they are unlikely to translate into other disease states. The connection of anti-fatigue is coincidental.

L-Carnitine supplementation has been shown to improve fatigue in persons with Celiac disease related fatigue, but requires adherence to a gluten-free diet prior to intervention to restore intestinal uptake of carnitine.[53] The mechanism of this improvement in fatigue is not known.

As an adjunct therapy for cancer, L-Carnitine may decrease fatigue indirectly through increased lean mass and reducing cancer cachexia.[36][216][217] Carnitine deficiency is prevalent among some forms of Cancer[35] and reversing this deficiency can theoretically reverse fatigue.[37] That being said, not all studies come back positive.[34] Doses tend to be around 2-3g daily of L-Carnitine or Acetyl-L-Carnitine.

Source: http://examine.com/s...ts/L-Carnitine/

#27 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

What supplement brand are you using. I might give this a shot, but I want to make sure I don't get some inferior juju. These dang OTC supplements, absolutely 0 guarantee they are what they say they are, so since you seem to have found one that does something, I'd like to try that particular brand.

#28 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

I've been using this brand: 

http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=alcar

#29 Brooke22

Brooke22

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

I've been using liquid L-carnitine by dymatize on Amazon. I usually take it 30 mins prior to any workouts...it also helps burn belly fat :) I had been taking this prior to my N diagnosis, so maybe I need to up the dosage for fatigue! I really like the flavor and I can feel a slight energy boost just prior to my workout. Have you also tried Yohimbine HCL?? It has also helped some...still extremely sleepy. Supposed to start Nuvigil soon, but incredibly nervous about the side effects. I have hx of migraines and reallllly don't want to deal with a couple weeks worth. 

#30 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

Yes I have actually! I posted about it in the supplements thread. I find that Yohimbine HCL works for about two week --- then the effectiveness for me wears off. When it comes to stimulants, cycling them (and between them) has worked the best.

Nuvigil worked great for me. I am currently off of Nuvigil since my insurance sucks; but I plan to be back on it within a month or two. It works quite well. I did not notice any drop in effectiveness after a year of use; but I also took weekend "holidays" and started to cycle it after 6 months or so.