• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SleepyMo

SleepyMo

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this board and I've been recently diagnosed with Narcolepsy.  However, I know I must have had it for more than 15 yrs.  I could go on and tell you ALL the struggles I've had, and the things that I have sacrified to accomodate my "N" but I want to avoid that and just reach out to you all to ask for some advice.  I'm at a point that I'm fed up with my Narcolepsy and how it hinders me.  I accept that I'm not "normal" and that I have to operate in a limit capacity. So, my question now, what can I do to help me manage my "N" to reach my goals.

I'm currently taking Nuvigil, and it doesn't seem to help much.  It worked at first but not i'm just getting headaches and I feel groggy and out of it.  As a result, I lower my dosage to a qtr of a 150mg pill.  It's not very effective in keeping me awake.  I'm still groggy and I need frequent naps.  I'm a cpa candidate currently studying for FAR.  I'm struggling to study and to stay awake.  The test is very demanding.  According to my doctor, he wants me to structure a schedule to sleep.  Let's be honest, the majority of cpa candidate who are "normal" don't get that much sleep when studying, and having narcolepsy makes it hard to study and pass the exam within the require deadline of 18 months! I have trouble focusing, staying awake, and remembering facts.  Since starting this cpa journey, my capacity level has been going downhill, and my symptions of "N" has gotten worse.  I'm starting to wonder if i have cataplexy, because I could be in a train standing and fall asleep.  My knees have buckled a few times and I was lucky to catch myself before I fell on the floor.  I even started hallucinating, I could be sitting and writing, then nodd off for two secs and see my pen disappear and reappear.

Sorry, this has been longer than I expected-long story short.  Is there anyone else w/ "N" who is studying for the cpa exam? I'm struggling to reach my goal of passing the CPA exam within 18 months.  But having "N" is making it extremely difficult.  I wish NASBA would give me more time to study and extend the 18 months but I highly doubt they will.  Is there anyone else on this board who is going through the same thing as me. Any Advice?

Just to add to this, I'm working full time. I 've thought about quitting or taking a leave of absence just to have more time to study while handling my "N", but let's be honest, i need money to pay for my pills and my bills.  So, it's not an option.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Cataplexy is different from falling asleep. Being sleepy makes you more prone to having it, but microsleeps are what you're talking about, I believe. You could always chug stimulants, since you only have a finite amount of time you have to keep the crazy schedule up. It's not a good plan really in the long term, but perhaps they coudl help you get over this rough patch.