SOREM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wokndead

Wokndead

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

So my alarm went off this morning, and I hit snooze, as usual. My alarm clock is across the room, so obviously I'm pretty intent on sleeping if I hit snooze and walk back to the bed (which I do almost every time, because my bed is comfy, and my wife is warm. lol) So today (after the second attack on the snooze button) I decided to set my alarm to 5:40 (it usually goes off at 5:10, then snooze until 5:20, etc.) and gave myself some extra sleep time, since I didn't need to rush today. This was at 5:25, so I had given myself 15 minutes.

Now, I could have just stayed up and gotten ready, as I was awake enough to do so at the time. However, I wanted to see if I would fall asleep and go back into REM in that short amount of time. Sure enough, I fell right to sleep and had a vivid dream in that 15 minutes! When my alarm went off again, I felt much less awake than I had been previously, and was very groggy.

What are your thoughts on this? I still don't have a diagnosis, as I'm still waiting on my sleep study to be scheduled. Should I bring it up to my doctor next time I see him?

#2 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Happens to me often. If I go back to sleep in the morning after waking up, chances are real good that I will go into REM and have SP and HH. I also feel more groggy afterwards. I am not diagnosed yet.

#3 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Someone recently posted about "sleep inertia" which is that groggy feeling people experience when coming out of a deeper stage of sleep. People also experience it when they have not gotten enough sleep. It can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours - most commonly experienced for about 15 minutes. During this state the body is not well adjusted to the awake state yet, thus complex activities are harder.

My theory is that we, as PWNs, experience sleep inertia more frequently and at a greater proportion than non PWNs.
Take someone who does not have N. they wake up and experience sleep inertia, they go back to sleep. Wake up 15 minutes later, they will not wake up with it again because they likely went into a lighter stage of sleep. They can then get up and go about their day.

Now take someone with N. they wake up with sleep inertia, go back to sleep and wake up again 15 minutes later. They likely went back into REM or another deep stage of sleep and will then wake up again, with sleep inertia.

Secondly, because we do not go through the proper sleep cycles, we are sleep deprived and thus are more likely to experience sleep inertia to a greater degree. This is why we can go back to sleep 5 or more times and still wake up not feeling refreshed. This is also why we may get up, but experience sleep inertia for longer period of time.

In my experience, if its my day off and I finally get out of bed, I might stay in my pajamas and just kind of be lazy, get on the Internet or have some food etc. if I do this I feel like a zombie, I never get away from that feeling of just wanting to go back to bed. Aka - sleep inertia.

However, if I get up, take a shower, and actively move around for a bit and do my morning routine, I will finally feel awake by the time I leave for work. Escaping sleep inertia.

#4 Wokndead

Wokndead

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

That makes a lot of sense. I did it again this morning, but I must have woken up at the "right time" of my sleep cycle, because I didn't have the sleep inertia or extra dreaming. I feel much more awake this morning. Let's see how long it lasts. ;)

#5 mwalesh

mwalesh

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

Sleep inertia is really the pits huh? Seriously, I wish I could be someone who could wake up and be refreshed and excited to go about the day! I could accomplish so much more in my life if I could wake up without feeling like I've been hit by a train. I have been dabbling with a few experiments lately and have discovered taking a sleeping aid makes a difference. I wouldn't hold my breath, but the past few mornings I actually woke up without my alarm. Didn't feel "refreshed" by anymeans, but just the fact that I woke up unassisted is HUGE.