• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sincitychick

Sincitychick

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hi,

I started working at my current job in June 2012. I was finally diagnosed with N Nov 2012. I started on Nuvigil which made me feel super weird, then Started on Adderall. My boss has known that I was diagnosed with N, 3 days after I knew. In Jaunary 2013, I let her know that I was oging to be changing medications again, and within a couple weeks would be starting a really serious drug called Xyrem. I let her know up front face to to face (not in writing) that I was potentially going to be late off and on, and have doctors apts untill I got the hang of the meds, or if my doctor and myself even thought they were going to work. She said she understood, and to just let her know if I was going to be super late, like a hour or more.

Every monday we have an "action item" meeting just her and I. She always asks how I'm feeling and how the meds are going, etc. etc. So she has been well informed since day one! I've not hidden anything from her. Life went on and everything was fine. Durring the month of March I was habitually late. I started Xyrem and I was ill in the morning, unable to wake up, and even when I finally did wake up, I was unable to drive for a bit. I have only been really late a couple times, and in really late, I mean like under 2 hours. Most of the time, I am ontime, early, 5 minutes late or 25 minutes late. It just really depends on how I'm feeling and how fast I can wake up in the morning.

I've never had "a talking to" at work. I got a nice raise in December, and a great review. Everything has been going fine, and I thought that everything with me N and being late was going fine. UNTIL... I found out that my Boss was having the receptionist "track" me. Well the way my office is designed, it's kind hard to "track me" espeshally when the receptionist leaves at 5pm on the friggin dot, and I stay until 6:00 most nights. I also try to use the stairs as much as possible when i'm feeling, "awake". Anyway, she couldn't really get a good idea of when i was coming or going unless I used the elevator. So, the receptionist mentioned it to two other employee's that cover the front desk for her (for smoke breaks and lunch or the billion doctors apts she had). So, my Boss asked the receptionisht to keep track of my time, then the receptionist asked the other two girls to help her keep track. The receptionist couldn't keep track, so she started asking me lost of personal questions, to try to get the info out of me... like , "oh so you were late to you doctors apt, and they weren't mad? So you didn't get there until like 4:25 then and they let you check in?" It was obvious to me that someone for somereason was trying to figure out when I came and went. So I bluntly walked into my Bosses office and said, "Is it you that asked Heather to keep track of when I come and go, if you did, that's fine, but I wish if there was an issue or question of issue you would have talked to me about it first. If you didn't ask her to track me, then we need to talk about her actions, because they are making me uncomfortable, like she is stalking me. No one cares about the personal details of anyone elses' life that much, she is picking apart my private life, and very obvious."

My Boss said yes, she asked the receptionist to keep tabs on my times in and outs. Becuase a couple other employees has mentioned I wasn't were I was supposed to be when I was supposed to be there. I said, that's intersting, because you always know where I am. I let you know if I'm going to be more than 45 min late, and every month I print you a calendar of my doctors apts or vaca, etc etc, as you requested when I started this job. I've been very open and honest with you about what is going on and I was under the impression than nothing had changed. She stated that maybe the receptionist had taken things to far, and that she would tell her to back off. I stated that I would be giving HR a letter from my doctor. After this whole "tracking" thing, I feel uncomfortable with just a word of mouth trust about me being late and doc apts, ect and I'd really like to have it on record.

So I wrote a letter requesting reasonable accomidation in the form or a flexable schedual, and how i knew that it could work for my particular job, because my boss had already been allowing me to do so with no problems. Then my doctor wrote them a letter too. The Hr lady accepted both of the letters and  stated that she would talk with my boss and they would get back to me.

I haven't heard anything. I asked when I took the doctors letter in, and she said she was going to be meeting with my boss the following day at 4pm... That was 5 days ago.

Any Idea's, suggestions... I feel like this is going no where good.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Well if your HR lady follows procedure, I think your boss is actually the one in hot water, not you. She told other people you had a medical condition. No bueno. Of course if she's buddy-buddy with your boss, then problems might arise. Hope it turns out okay! If nothign else, try to communicate in email about these things and archive them often, just in case there's gets to be a he said-she said situation you've got a written accord of what went down. Has saved my bacon before, when someone tried to tell me I should have reported a bug when in fact, I already had.

#3 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

what do you do for a living?  i'm a construction laborer ours is not a union firm, but the superintendants on mccrary construction projects are as excacting as any in the industry.

by virtue of how hard i happen to work alone niether they nor the 'big boss' can consider firing me, although i have habitually been late at work and anything else, do not know why, maybe i need counseling.

occasionally a super would say i absolutely must be on site at 7 the next day, or its going to screw things up and i'd better be there at 7, not 7:05.

when this happened and the next morning came i woke to the alarm set at 3, took my adderall/went to sleep. goes off again @ 4, dose is@ Cmin and i wake up easily. have myself there @ 6.  only this sort of overkill assures timeliness in me in anything. 

bosses fire men on our jobsites any time for any reason and they don't have to justify it.  my wakefulness promoting is in mg/d amts. that afford my high degree of exertion as an effective hedge against being fired, as is quite the norm for tardy construction workers.  it is unfortunate that pwn who are willing to tolerate negative side effects of amphetamines in high doses often are denied an increased mg/d amt. in their rx, even as its understood the response to the med fades away over time.  particularly if they are normotensive.  needlesly untreated eds/fatigue is a factor for some pwn.  how many we cannot know.

and it can make us late; make us move too slow not to get fired, too.

hope it's not a 3 shift workplace you are telling us about.  its usually be on time or  get fired, period, when your firm pays overtime for each minute the person you take over for is on the clock after shift change.

good luck!

#4 Sincitychick

Sincitychick

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

I work in an engineering office. There's 100 people here and employee's work various shifts between 7am-8pm. I am supposed to be here from 8-5pm. My boss works 10-7... She isn't even here, so I'm not really sure how me being 10-20 minutes late affects anyone.

#5 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Well she's just trying to make sure that you hours are still accoutned for, which is her job. But she went about it in a poor way. If she wanted to do that, she should have told you to do something like send and email whenever you arrive/leave or some such. Getting a third party involved was kind of a *BEEP* move, not to mention, illegal in this case.

#6 tennessee

tennessee

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

what do you do for a living?  i'm a construction laborer ours is not a union firm, but the superintendants on mccrary construction projects are as excacting as any in the industry.

by virtue of how hard i happen to work alone niether they nor the 'big boss' can consider firing me, although i have habitually been late at work and anything else, do not know why, maybe i need counseling.

occasionally a super would say i absolutely must be on site at 7 the next day, or its going to screw things up and i'd better be there at 7, not 7:05.

when this happened and the next morning came i woke to the alarm set at 3, took my adderall/went to sleep. goes off again @ 4, dose is@ Cmin and i wake up easily. have myself there @ 6.  only this sort of overkill assures timeliness in me in anything. 

bosses fire men on our jobsites any time for any reason and they don't have to justify it.  my wakefulness promoting is in mg/d amts. that afford my high degree of exertion as an effective hedge against being fired, as is quite the norm for tardy construction workers.  it is unfortunate that pwn who are willing to tolerate negative side effects of amphetamines in high doses often are denied an increased mg/d amt. in their rx, even as its understood the response to the med fades away over time.  particularly if they are normotensive.  needlesly untreated eds/fatigue is a factor for some pwn.  how many we cannot know.

and it can make us late; make us move too slow not to get fired, too.

hope it's not a 3 shift workplace you are telling us about.  its usually be on time or  get fired, period, when your firm pays overtime for each minute the person you take over for is on the clock after shift change.

good luck!

The alarm clock story is me exactly!