Sleep Study Fail

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I had my PSG last night and my MSLT today. So it is noon and I am home already. You know what that means. FAIL.... So the bed was really soft and broken down. I usually sleep on an extra firm mattress. As soon as I laid down on the bed my back and neck started to hurt. I told the tech that i would like a different bed. He said they were all the same and didnt let me try a one. So anyway, i do get chronic back pain but it has not been very bad lately so i didnt think it would be a problem. I do not take any prescription pain meds for my pain. I occasionally take some tylenol but didnt think to bring a bottle just in case. OOPS. I did bring my ice packs however but they didnt seem to help much. So the pain kept me awake until 4 oclock. THe tech woke me up at 7. I asked if he got enough information. He said he did. He got what the doctor was looking for. I went into REM sleep pretty quick after sleep onset. I asked him if he thought I would get a diagnosis. He didnt hesitate and said yes. So I was hopeful. So anyway. He left and the MSLT tech came in. After 2 fail - naps, I mentioned to the nurse that my back pain was keeping me from relaxing and that sometimes I take tylenol and it helps but that I forgot to bring it. apparenly she misunderstood me because when the dr called she told him that I didnt get to sleep last night until 4 oclock because I didnt take my sleep meds. I DONT TAKE SLEEP MEDS. So he said to stop the MSLT and I will have to redo the PSG and MSLT because I didnt sleep enough hours. THe other day I had mentioned to my husband that some of you had to do redo the sleep study and that might happen to me. He said NO that will not happen, He would not have me doing it again if it doesnt work the first time. I am so frustrated. I am dreading telling him that it didnt work out. I am so frustrating. I was hoping that I would finally get a diagnosis after all these years of suffering.

#2 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Ok, I just talked to my husband and he was actually pretty understanding about the whole thing and is willing to let me have a redo. :)

#3 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

I'm sorry to hear about that! Glad that you will be able to redo it though. Be sure to ask for accommodations regarding a better bed - perhaps you can take a firm mattress pad?

Do you know how long you will have to wait before you can do the, again?

#4 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

They are going to call me this week to set it up. I think I can get it fairly soon.

Where do I get a firm mattress pad? I have never heard of one before. I want to look into that.

#5 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

I should mention some positive things. The PSG tech was actually really, nice, understanding and accommodating. He brought me my ice packs whenever I needed them. He eventually brought in a cot for me to try instead of the bed. That is what I ended up falling asleep on. The atmosphere was pretty quiet. The tech only came in to check on me when I was obviously wide awake. I didnt feel intruded on. The wires weren't too uncomfortable. It wasn't hard getting used to them. I think I would have slept more if it hadn't been for the back pain.

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

Everyone's first time pretty much sucks. I relaly think the idea of a sleep study is fundamentally flawed. There's got to be a more intelligent way. It would almost be as nice as a cure if someone could come up with a litmus test.

#7 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I went to my chiropractor today. He said my back was out. He said it is not normally like that. I told him about the sleep study. He said the bed must have been pretty bad.

#8 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Sleep study redo scheduled for this weekend. They said I can choose the bed this time. I will NOT forget to bring some pain meds. I hope it works out better this time.