Home Sleep Tracking Devices

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MLH

MLH

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Short Story:  Has anyone used any home sleep tracking devices, like the Zeo or the UP Band by Jawbone?  Do you find them accurate?

Long Story:  My doctor is encouraging me to do a sleep study, which I have not had done before.  By the time the Dr came to the N dx, we were more concerned with getting me functional.  We discovered Provigil was what worked best.  Of course, then my insurance changed and for Progvigil, my new insurance requires a sleep study that shows PSG latency under 10 OR PSG SOREM or MSLT with mean latency under 5 with at least 2 SOREM naps. I am doing okayish on Adderall and Wellbutrin and am slightly hesitant to spend at least 2 weeks without the meds, since my kids kinda need a mom who is both awake and not a total mean monster. (The wellbutrin has been shown to affect SOREM in studies.)  

Sooooo.  I haven't managed to sleep with the Zeo on, though if I thought it would be accurate, I would make some serious efforts to do so.  My UP Band shows my sleep latency under 5 minutes most nights, even with my meds.  If I thought that was accurate, I would feel pretty confident in doing to sleep study still on my Wellbutrin.  If not, I have to weigh better meds vs two weeks of no meds vs two weeks of partial meds vs the possibility of having to redo a sleep study vs. . . . . You guys get the idea.  

So--home tracking.  Accurate, total crap or unknown?  Anyone have thoughts?

#2 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

I bought Zeo.  It's crap -- it showed sleep onset REM where there was none.  I was wide awake!  It also can't count spontaneous arousals, so you're not really seeing how disrupted your sleep actually is.

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

^Well, I'm betting the Zeo isn't anywhere near as effective as an actual EEG, but to be fair, 3 out of 4 naps I took (two with SOREMs) during my MSLT, I thought I was wide awake and I was thinking "Dammit, I'm not gonna sleep and this test is gonna be useless." Then the nurse tells me I slept in like 2 minute bursts. Apparently, I had sleep set to semi-auto :lol: . My point being, yea the Zeo could be wrong unless it wasn't. :P