Depression Drug Addiction Hypocretin Diagnosis Treatment

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MyLifeInTheSunshine

MyLifeInTheSunshine

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

I'm sorry if this was mentioned in another post, but did anyone read about this yet?  I think it lends support to maybe changing the standard algorithm of treating depression first before narcolepsy, because SSRIs and other anti-depressants are going to do much if low hypocretin is making you unhappy. I don't know if anyone would feel comfortable with this, but if anyone has experience with alcohol and other substances, would you be willing to share if you had problems with abuse or not?  It'd be an interesting informal poll.  From how I'm reading it, I get the impression that just addiction rates were lower for people with narcolepsy, not necessarily substance abuse of binging (so, maybe fewer of them get addicted, but there are similar rates compared to the general population of binging/other abuse problems without addiction).

I don't have narcolepsy, by the way; I've had most symptoms and had a MSLT that was inconclusive (four or five sleep on naps, only one with REM), but symptoms seem milder than in the past. If I get insurance again, I might try for a sleep study just to know. 

I also believe that the algorithms for diagnosing N are currently flawed (or, at least that many health care providers don't know enough about it to diagnose it properly).  Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts?

http://healthland.ti...retin-to-thank/

#2 MyLifeInTheSunshine

MyLifeInTheSunshine

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

And, something in the New York Times today about ADHD symptoms from sleep issues! 

http://www.nytimes.c...gewanted=3&_r=0

#3 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

I do know that I have never been addicted to anything other than tobacco. I am still a recovering smoker years after the last time I smoked my last cigarette. 

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

Ive never been addicted to anything (except for sleep) I was even an on again off again smoker most of my 20s... would smoke during the summer and just stop... never even bothered by the fact that I stopped... also spent many years as a heavy drinking... (alcoholism runs in my family) but once again could care less if I didn't have a drink for a week... Many years ago some friends were into some pretty addictive substances and once again never had any trouble.

I think there is another post on this somewhere... and it seemed like most PWN that commented said the same thing.

#5 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

Only thing I've ever been addicted to is tobacco, and I'm still trying to kick that. I used to be able to quit without any problems, or just smoke on occasion (out with friends, shooting pool and having a few drinks), but not anymore, unfortunately. I do drink, but only occasionally, and I almost never actually get drunk. For one thing, I can't afford it--I appear to have a fairly high tolerance--and for another, I just plain don't like it.

I have, in the past, been prescribed various medications that were considered addictive, from narcotic pain meds to antidepressants, and never had a problem with them. In fact, the doctor who prescribed the antidepressant was very surprised when I told her I just stopped taking it. I'd been on it for 3 months, the prescription ran out, and when I didn't call back for a refill, her office called me. I went in--it was about a month after the meds ran out--and talked to her, she asked about the meds, and I just shrugged and told her they weren't doing any good, so I didn't bother asking for a refill. She said I shouldn't have been able to just stop taking them like that without issues ... but, "should" or "shouldn't", I stopped taking them and had no problems with it. Same with the painkillers. At one point, I was on vicodin for months because of debilitating pain. Finally found the reason, had surgery, got home from the hospital and didn't take any more of the vicodin. Doctor, at a followup, said something about a new prescription to start weaning me off the meds, and I handed her the last bottle--still half full and with refills left--and she just shook her head.

#6 stoic

stoic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

I've not been diagnosed with N, but my sleep doc was the one that suggested the diagnosis - seems like the symptoms fit.

I've never had issues with addictive substances. Food is a problem as I have an unlimited appetite. Type of food doesn't matter, I mean I can eat a kilo of plain chicken breast or a pint of ice cream and still be hungry for more.

I couldn't care less if all alcohol was removed from the planet tomorrow, I wouldn't even want a drink today. On occasion, where I have drunk enough to feel the effects, I enjoyed it. However, I never have the urge or feeling to try to recreate that experience by drinking again.

Never tried and form of drugs and smoking as they never appealed to me.

It is hard socially when people are pushing you to drink, but I'm just so disinterested.

#7 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I loved this article.

#8 Bunny23

Bunny23

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Hi, I have been on some serious pain medication due to an undiagnosed spinal cord disorder that I was born with. Basically one day I fell, it triggered the disorder and I started having severe pain and neuropathy (nerve pain)

I have taken pretty much anything you can think of, OxyContin, Vicodin, Morphine, Xanax, Valium.... (post surgery) and muscle relaxers.

Even before that a doc gave me a script for OxyContin when I was 15 (for explorative pelvic surgery)

I have never had an addiction problem, throughout my misdiagnosis I would not have insurance or the doctors got uncomfortable prescribing me (because if they can't see it you don't have it) and I stopped meds multiple times, always without a mental addiction.

In fact I even said I don't want to take OxyContin anymore.. kinda stunned one doc!

BTW I was diagnosed with narcolepsy 2 years after my surgery because symptoms got way worse, so I believe that it's possible that symptoms get worse at a certain point (or peak). I was diagnosed with "major depression" at age 18. My sleep doc thinks that was a misdiagnosis and I probably had narcolepsy 6 years prior at least. Her theory is that narcolepsy peaks at a certain point symptom wise where it's unbearable.

Also I don't drink... but I do smoke! Although not as much as before.

#9 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

I think you will find many of us have an issue with food. The lack of Orexin means that we have a hard time regulating our appetite. We just don't realize when we are full. Add to that the fact that we crave sugar in an attempt stay awake, and it gets even worse. I will sit down to eat a meal, and be nauseated after only a couple bites due to having eaten so much before the meal without really realizing what I had done. It's amazing I'm not as big as a house.

I too have taken prescribed opiates for extended periods with no hint of addiction. I like to drink alcohol, but could really care less if I do or not. I have had others as well, and never had a hint of addiction other than nicotine. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Depression, Drug Addiction, Hypocretin, Diagnosis, Treatment