Tips For Sleep Study

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

I asked this in another thread but I thought I would start a new thread for others who have an upcoming sleep study. What are some tips/advise from those who have already been through one?

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Don't stress about it. Of course that's nearly impossible to do. I'd say bring your own pillows, and also perhaps purposefully sleep deprive yourself the night before just a bit. The weird environment and electrodes all over you have a habit of making sleep difficult. So if you're a little extra sleepy, it wouldn't hurt.

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, I think if I had to to PSG/MSLT over again, I would have taken my allergy medicine no matter what they say because having that stupid thing up my nose when it was running like a faucet made it much more difficult to relax and fall asleep.

Anything you can do to make you more comfortable like bringing your own pillow/stuffed animal, calling a loved one, is so important because I think the likelihood of people having to redo these tests are high.

Also, don't freak out if you don't think you've fallen asleep in the naps. I didn't think I fell asleep in my first nap, but after answering those 3 questions they always ask (1. Did you fall asleep? 2. Did you dream? 3??? -- do they still do this?) the tech told me that I had fallen asleep and that reassured me not to worry about it.

Bring a hat to cover up the glue they put on your scalp (looks like pigeon $&@#) when you leave to go home.

#4 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the tips! Sleep study is tonight. I am trying not to take a nap right now.