Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mmartens3

Tips For Sleep Study

4 posts in this topic

I asked this in another thread but I thought I would start a new thread for others who have an upcoming sleep study. What are some tips/advise from those who have already been through one?

Don't stress about it. Of course that's nearly impossible to do. I'd say bring your own pillows, and also perhaps purposefully sleep deprive yourself the night before just a bit. The weird environment and electrodes all over you have a habit of making sleep difficult. So if you're a little extra sleepy, it wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, I think if I had to to PSG/MSLT over again, I would have taken my allergy medicine no matter what they say because having that stupid thing up my nose when it was running like a faucet made it much more difficult to relax and fall asleep.

Anything you can do to make you more comfortable like bringing your own pillow/stuffed animal, calling a loved one, is so important because I think the likelihood of people having to redo these tests are high.

Also, don't freak out if you don't think you've fallen asleep in the naps. I didn't think I fell asleep in my first nap, but after answering those 3 questions they always ask (1. Did you fall asleep? 2. Did you dream? 3??? -- do they still do this?) the tech told me that I had fallen asleep and that reassured me not to worry about it.

Bring a hat to cover up the glue they put on your scalp (looks like pigeon $&@#) when you leave to go home.

Thanks for the tips! Sleep study is tonight. I am trying not to take a nap right now.