Photo

Does Rem Have To Occur At Sleep Onset To Be Dx W N?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

When I experience HH and SP it is usually upon awaking. And usually after a 2-3 hour nap or in the morning if I wake at 7 and go back to sleep until 9 or 10. It will happen upon awaking. And sometimes i the night around 2 or 3 in the morning. It has maybe occurred a few times upon going to sleep but mostly after a couple of hours of being asleep. If it is normal to have REM after a few hours then why am I experiencing SP and HH and having EDS?

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Well things are so cut and dried as that. I wouldn't say that you have no SOREMs just because your hallucinations are when you wake up. And most of my sleep paralysis has been when I wake up and I have a confirmed Dx (that I sometimes question but that's irrelevant) . Point is, I wouldn't let your particular pathology rule anything out.

#3 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

I am just really nervous about how things will go with the sleep study this weekend. I really want a diagnosis. I have been struggling for so long without any answers.

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Well, it is somewhat comforting at first, but at the same time, it sucks being afflicted with something for which there is no cure. For your sake, I hope it's apnea, or even nighttime epilepsy. There's a special form of epilepsy that presents itself as seizures during the nighttime and there's not any movement associated with it, but they knock you out of deep sleep. That's what I was really hoping I had going into my sleep study, seeing as there's a family history of epilepsy. I still think I have had a couple of absence seizures, because there's been a few times I've simply been too spaced out for it to be fatigued. In talking with an epileptic friend, her absence seizures sound really similar to some of the episodes I have. And now that I was put on anticonvulsant for headaches, they're mostly gone. Though, I suppose extreme sleep deprivation due to N might cause a seizure as well? From what I'm learning, even normal people can have seizures if they're brain chemistry gets too whacked.