Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mmartens3

Does Rem Have To Occur At Sleep Onset To Be Dx W N?

4 posts in this topic

When I experience HH and SP it is usually upon awaking. And usually after a 2-3 hour nap or in the morning if I wake at 7 and go back to sleep until 9 or 10. It will happen upon awaking. And sometimes i the night around 2 or 3 in the morning. It has maybe occurred a few times upon going to sleep but mostly after a couple of hours of being asleep. If it is normal to have REM after a few hours then why am I experiencing SP and HH and having EDS?

Well things are so cut and dried as that. I wouldn't say that you have no SOREMs just because your hallucinations are when you wake up. And most of my sleep paralysis has been when I wake up and I have a confirmed Dx (that I sometimes question but that's irrelevant) . Point is, I wouldn't let your particular pathology rule anything out.

I am just really nervous about how things will go with the sleep study this weekend. I really want a diagnosis. I have been struggling for so long without any answers.

Well, it is somewhat comforting at first, but at the same time, it sucks being afflicted with something for which there is no cure. For your sake, I hope it's apnea, or even nighttime epilepsy. There's a special form of epilepsy that presents itself as seizures during the nighttime and there's not any movement associated with it, but they knock you out of deep sleep. That's what I was really hoping I had going into my sleep study, seeing as there's a family history of epilepsy. I still think I have had a couple of absence seizures, because there's been a few times I've simply been too spaced out for it to be fatigued. In talking with an epileptic friend, her absence seizures sound really similar to some of the episodes I have. And now that I was put on anticonvulsant for headaches, they're mostly gone. Though, I suppose extreme sleep deprivation due to N might cause a seizure as well? From what I'm learning, even normal people can have seizures if they're brain chemistry gets too whacked.