• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Della The Red

Della The Red

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:recently diagnosed Narcolepsy Cataplexy - had it since 14 yoa

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

I have been having almost nightly nightmares which turn into HH and SP for past couple of weeks. I have tried just going to the loo then back to bed but it's like I simply 'paused' the nightmare and go straight back to it. Then a few nights ago, I got up and went for a walk around the garden and had a smoke. Upon going back to bed, managed to fall asleep - and not into the nightmare again!

yes I would not recommend nico to anyone who isn't already addicted, however, am so grateful to find something to shake off the HH and allow me to sleep again.

thanks

#22 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

Also, ADHD was mentioned here. ADHD (or ADD) is often a down-chain effect --- it is secondary to most other primary disorders. If you have narcolepsy; ADHD, ADD, EDS, Dysthymia, or Depression are likely "side effects" of the primary diagnosis of Narcolepsy. If you can regulate your narcolepsy and modulate your sleep and awake cycles, you will notice that some of the other secondary effects wear off over time. If they don't, they might have other causes. But I would definitely try to deal with the primary diagnosis first. 

#23 purpley

purpley

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:Science and medicine. And staying awake, of course.

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

Also, ADHD was mentioned here. ADHD (or ADD) is often a down-chain effect --- it is secondary to most other primary disorders. If you have narcolepsy; ADHD, ADD, EDS, Dysthymia, or Depression are likely "side effects" of the primary diagnosis of Narcolepsy. If you can regulate your narcolepsy and modulate your sleep and awake cycles, you will notice that some of the other secondary effects wear off over time. If they don't, they might have other causes. But I would definitely try to deal with the primary diagnosis first.

Yes and no. The actual symptoms of ADHD/ADD overlap so much with chronic sleep deprivation that I think it's essentially impossible to diagnose those with any reliability in someone who has narcolepsy, treated or not.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd say that true depression in the formal psychiatric sense is "likely" a side effect of narcolepsy. Major depressive disorder can be pretty accurately diagnosed in someone with narcolepsy, as long as the doctor knows that narcolepsy is present. So if you have a true depressive disorder according to an expert who also knows you have narcolepsy, you'll probably still need treatment for depression even after the narcolepsy is treated. I would treat both clinical depression and narcolepsy simultaneously in someone who has both. If the narcolepsy symptoms and mood symptoms both improve, then you can try backing off the depression treatment and seeing if the depression's gone.

So anyone who has true depression should go ahead and get treatment, don't wait for the narcolepsy to be controlled before getting help.

#24 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 AM

Yes and no. The actual symptoms of ADHD/ADD overlap so much with chronic sleep deprivation that I think it's essentially impossible to diagnose those with any reliability in someone who has narcolepsy, treated or not.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd say that true depression in the formal psychiatric sense is "likely" a side effect of narcolepsy. Major depressive disorder can be pretty accurately diagnosed in someone with narcolepsy, as long as the doctor knows that narcolepsy is present. So if you have a true depressive disorder according to an expert who also knows you have narcolepsy, you'll probably still need treatment for depression even after the narcolepsy is treated. I would treat both clinical depression and narcolepsy simultaneously in someone who has both. If the narcolepsy symptoms and mood symptoms both improve, then you can try backing off the depression treatment and seeing if the depression's gone.

So anyone who has true depression should go ahead and get treatment, don't wait for the narcolepsy to be controlled before getting help.

ADHD/ADD: I agree. This happens in people with other diagnosis too; like autism. I see them dual-diagnosed all of the time. 

Yea, I would say this is the safer approach to treating depression in people with narcolepsy. I am a clinician; sleep is a huge contributing factor to host of mental health disorders. Treating both at the same time is safe, but may not be needed if your mood is more dysthymic and not major unipolar depression. It really depends on the case; but I would always argue for minimal and graduated interventions. 

#25 purpley

purpley

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:Science and medicine. And staying awake, of course.

Posted Yesterday, 08:11 AM

ADHD/ADD: I agree. This happens in people with other diagnosis too; like autism. I see them dual-diagnosed all of the time. 

Yea, I would say this is the safer approach to treating depression in people with narcolepsy. I am a clinician; sleep is a huge contributing factor to host of mental health disorders. Treating both at the same time is safe, but may not be needed if your mood is more dysthymic and not major unipolar depression. It really depends on the case; but I would always argue for minimal and graduated interventions. 

Yeah, we're two clinicians "locked in violent agreement," as my dad would say.  I just wanted to emphasize the point that having both depression and narcolepsy as comorbid conditions which are not connected (other than by the psychological stress caused by having a chronic medical illness) is definitely possible.

It's unfortunately way too common (and I'm probably preaching to the choir with you, but making the point for other folks) for people with undiagnosed N to be told they have clinical depression which they don't have, because their primary care docs tell them "nothing's wrong" and then the sleepiness gets mistaken for depression.  Or the person gets treated for "insomnia" with benzodiazepines which only exacerbate the problem.  So as a result -- and of course, it's understandable -- there's a lot of antipsychiatry sentiment that comes up in the N community.  So people who have true major depression or bipolar disorder sometimes have their symptoms minimized, or are told to stop taking their medications, or feel guilty if they can't, because they're told they don't really have a psychiatric condition.

So in summary to all readers -- if you have significant depression and haven't seen a mental health provider yet, don't wait to get help, because you can start psychotherapy and/or meds now and get relief, and you can always stop treatment once the N's under control if you want to.  If it's mild depression and you'd rather wait, that's fine too, particularly because all stimulants are mild antidepressants anyway.  And any of you out there already diagnosed with major depression or bipolar disorder on meds, it's OK to stay on your treatment even with N, and don't let anyone tell you any differently.