Sleep Attacks And Micro-Sleep

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Ok so these are some terms I see a lot on this forum. But the official symptoms of N are EDS, Cataplexy, HH, and SP. So what are sleep attacks and micro-sleep episodes? I have only thought of my symptoms as Extreme fatigue/sleepiness, and HH and SP. But I am wondering if there is more to my EDS than I had thought about. Can someone elaborate on these terms please?

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

I call a sleep attack a wave of fog/sleepiness that hits suddenly w/o warning. Those of us with cat usually relate that to being a sleep attack. I know my triggers for my sleep attacks are the same for cataplexy, so I think I'm just expressing it differently (my mind seizes up instead of my body) . Microsleeps have an official medical definitions as periods of sleep that occur in <1-30 second duration, IIRC.

#3 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Interesting descriptions DeathRabbit.

For me, I consider the Micro Sleep what happens when I'm doing something either tedious or non-stimulating, perhaps also or in other words, if I'm just not able to remain focused due to boredom or repetitiveness; the result is basically finding that I've missed a section of what I'm watching or maybe as DeathRabbit described 'mind seizes up' and I've breifly nodded off or just tuned out/day dreamed away. I sort of think of that last bit as 'Automatic Behavior' also.

Sleep Attack, for me, would be similar but perhaps more, during while I'm actually trying to remain focused on whatever, rather than not having the interest.

These both occur mainly while I'm attempting to watch something, a movie or a series/show, reading can trigger it too; there is for me definitely something related to stimulation though as well as at what point it is in the day, along with how rested I am from the previous night.  I do not have a job, nor do I socialize hardly at all, I do cook almost daily but what I'm saying is that my low key and non overwhelmed mannerism helps a lot in avoiding such happening, a lot more; as most anytime I do begin more normal or routine activity/ies I have a lot more of both sorts of attacks, including Cataplexy.

I refer to them both as, 'nodding off' as well.

#4 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

When I refer to "sleep attacks," I mean falling asleep without knowing it ... At least, that's how it's played out in my life. That's how I got diagnosed, in fact: I started falling asleep at work, and I didn't know it was happening. Got in trouble for it, even, and argued with the supervisor who wrote me up, telling him he was flat wrong and I hadn't been asleep--until a co-worker quietly told me I had been. Didn't feel sleepy; didn't feel like I was falling asleep; didn't feel like I was sleeping; didn't feel like I was being woken up. As far as I could tell, I was just sitting there watching my monitor. Since then, I've also found it happening at home, if I'm doing anything that involves sitting down--watching tv, playing on my computer, reading, even chatting with my mother or friends, if we have anyone over. It also happens when I'm a passenger in a car for any length of time. Thankfully, not while I'm driving--but, then, I'm a lot more attuned to how tired I am when driving is involved. I'm learning to recognize the same signs when I'm not driving, so I can fight off the attacks.

#5 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Ok so these are some terms I see a lot on this forum. But the official symptoms of N are EDS, Cataplexy, HH, and SP. So what are sleep attacks and micro-sleep episodes? I have only thought of my symptoms as Extreme fatigue/sleepiness, and HH and SP. But I am wondering if there is more to my EDS than I had thought about. Can someone elaborate on these terms please?

It has taken me a while to figure out how all of this works. Here is how I describe sleep attacks and microsleep (aka automatic behavior).

Sleep attack- I get an overwhelming feeling of crushing exhaustion, like a tsunami wave that keeps rolling in. I feel it coming and can try to fight it. If I can keep myself active, I can stave it off with varying degrees of success. This is a major red flag that I need to take a nap.

Micro sleep- This often occurs for me when I am fighting off a sleep attack. this continues to be a mystery in many ways. It may be a long blink where I sleep for a second or two. Or a vacant stare for a second or two. 

Micro sleep ties in with automatic behavior. I describe this as "walk sleeping" as opposed to sleep walking. I am not walking in my sleep, I am sleeping in my walk- quite literally. Once, I was starting a 3 mile run before diagnosis. I was fighting off a sleep attack before starting and tried to push through it. At one point, I noticed my breathing was very shallow and my feet were shuffling in baby steps. I was in a different place along the road- and I had no memory of getting there. This scared the heck out of me- especially when I figured out that 12-15 minutes had passed. Yikes.

I hope this helps.

#6 Wokndead

Wokndead

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hank, that makes a lot of sense to me. I had a sleep attack yesterday, right after work. I was really busy all day, but knew I just wanted to sleep. I walked back in after walking the dog, and I must have made a particular noise because my wife said, "No, don't go to sleep!" as I walked into the bedroom. I REALLY wanted to lay down and snooze. Alas, I had trash to collect and take out, so I stayed away from the bed and got it done. But I relate to the waves rolling in, the tiredness just washing over you. I was able to stay awake for the rest of the evening, and even watched a movie with my wife until bedtime. But MAN, did I want to sleep during the day.

As for the micro-sleep, I do have moments where I zone out and miss what's going on. Or I'll be driving somewhere and suddenly have no idea where I am, or how far I've driven, until I see a landmark I recognize. Scary! It's like driving through a time warp!

I'm not yet diagnosed, and still waiting for my sleep study to be scheduled, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can here.

#7 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Ok, I guess I get both of these. Not to the extreme as in cataplexy but I do have very strong urges to sleep throughout the day as well as episodes in which I am staring off into space and seeming unaware of what's going on around me. My daughter always says "mom, you're doing that stare like you're dead again, stop you're freakin me out."

#8 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Microsleep is the worst. Sleep attacks I can see coming and prepare for them. Microsleep is like being there but not. Some part (or parts) of your brain are asleep, but you might seem awake. I could be "gone" for 5 - 15 min or so, and come back with full awareness with little memory of what I did. Sometimes I did things (this usually happens at work) sometimes I don't, I just notice because the clock has progressed or my monitor has timed out. It has even happened driving on the interstate. I work with patients and once during a session I was gone for 15 min or so. One time I fell asleep on a patient who thought I was boring him (that was a sleep attack though).

I don't have cataplexy, but the microsleep and sleep attacks are by far the scariest thing. I can deal with the EDS and the fog I have some days. Those are just my "low" or off days. Microsleep and sleep attacks do not discriminate though.  Even on medication, I can tell when the micro sleeps still occur, although now I dont' lose awareness. 

#9 sleepwalkingmama

sleepwalkingmama

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

My sister, dx'd with N about 2 years ago, did not believe she fell asleep for one nap. Apparently not only did she hit REM within seconds, but she had hundreds of micro sleeps per hour. She was literally living in a dream. I guess she had a ton of automatic behavior, too. Honestly, it makes me understand how people can be dx'd with ADHD instead of narcolepsy!

#10 Wokndead

Wokndead

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Wow, that's crazy scary! I still have yet to hear about my sleep study being scheduled, so I think I need to get in touch with my doc. It's been far too long, and I'm getting tired (no pun intended) of waiting.

#11 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

Question: can emotions trigger sleep attacks in a similar way that they can trigger cataplexy? I have noticed my sleep attacks sometimes being triggered by emotions such as romantic feelings, nostalgia, excitement, or embarrassment. Not laughter or surprise though.

#12 slo.mo.a.go.go

slo.mo.a.go.go

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:can't get enough creativity, silliness, learning, traveling near & far, art, illustration, absurdity, cycling, living simply, Marx Brothers movies!

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

My sister, dx'd with N about 2 years ago, did not believe she fell asleep for one nap. Apparently not only did she hit REM within seconds, but she had hundreds of micro sleeps per hour. She was literally living in a dream. I guess she had a ton of automatic behavior, too. Honestly, it makes me understand how people can be dx'd with ADHD instead of narcolepsy!

what are her of n symptoms /EDS like? 

just curious because i'm adhd-pi but before adhd dx & now during my adderall holidays, I feel like i'm stuck living in a dream, even down to my handwriting. it gets as loopy and nonesensical. I can't maintain muscle tone, walk like i'm drunk and sink into chairs but my minds awake yet the people speaking around me are respresented in dreamstate, i can follow the coversations and tell you what was said, but i'm unable to open my eyes and they bcome surreal. Recent example. i was in that aware but unable to move feeling the dream state take hold of me. my friend, Will, was speaking w/ my boyfriend and I saw him in my dream state as a large muppet letter E blue with black yarn hair flopping aroung as his big muppet mouth moved to the conversation I heard. I asked them after i repeated their conversation to them if i heard it right and I had.  funny muppet friend, but this is what my eds is really like and not quite what the doc's says EDS is. luckily i've tested and ruled out some scary other causes but the sleep study is looming... mirco-sleeps aren't what I thought I was experiencing but what I desrcibe as my eds.,, hmm    

#13 cmanbrazil

cmanbrazil

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

I spend a lot of time micro sleeping, at least I believe I do. That quick 15 min doctors visit where your told you have Narcolepsy and given prescriptions for Xyrem and Nuvigil doesn't explain much.  However, I live by daydream.  In college I spent many a day living in my dorm room listening to music having such wonderful daydreams, sometimes going into a full sleep, but mostly too tired to move. 

Now, over twenty years later I want to say my Narcolepsy and Sleep Apnea have made it worse, but maybe its my lifestyle that has changed.  I now work more in meetings and from my computer, so less movement. 

In meetings, especially ones that last for hours, I always drift off, but never sleep.