Photo

Forgot Where I Was And Where I Was Going.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Today while stopped at a red light, I began to let my mind wander. When the light turned green, I looked up, started driving again and i had forgotten where i was and where i was going. I panicked. It took me a few seconds to compose myself and figure everything out. I don't know what happened but I really freaks me out when I think about it.

#2 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

This has happened to me. I was driving home from a city that is about 45 minutes from my town. There are numerous exits to take but I usually take the second as it is the most direct route to my house. But I was out of it completely - I came to about 2 miles past the exit I was going to take and I was slightly confused for a moment about where I was. Also - once while at a stoplight I closed my eyes for just a second and the light turned green - I was wearing sunglasses so my brother couldn't see my eyes closed but he was like " are you going to go?" And I was like oh yeah I was just looking at something... Both of these incidents happened before my dx and before I had any medication.

Nothing as extreme as that incident has happened since. But on occasion - even with my nuvigil, I experience momentary confusion where I don't recognize my surroundings and sometimes can't even remember where I'm going. But it only lasts for about 20 seconds.

I try to make sure that I only drive when I'm rested enough to do so so as to avoid these things and worse. But driving long distances can really make it hard. I have had to pull into a parking lot before to take a quick nap. But as long as I know I'm alert and awake then I'm usually fine. But I do avoid driving if I'm experiencing extreme sleepiness.

Please be safe!

#3 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, I was looking around and I didn't recognize where I was even though I have driven the same route many times. I was so confused. It was very strange.

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

I haven't had it that bad, but I have driven places and suddenly realized I had no recolelction of getting from point A to point B. It's like I forgot to hit record on the video camera.

#5 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

I have had that happen to me many times. I drive the same route to and from work every day, and every now and then, I'll realize I have absolutely no idea where I am or where I'm going. I don't fall asleep or fell particularly tired when it happens and I'm hyperaware of every little sign of sleepiness when I'm driving, because I know someone who fell asleep behind the wheel, rolled his car, and spent months in the hospital. I just keep driving and, within a few minutes the feeling passes and I start to recognize my surroundings again.

I've talked about it with my mother, and she agreed that it was odd, but I've never even thought to mention it to my doctor.

#6 andlostillgiven

andlostillgiven

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

This happens to me frequently on long drives. My home is an hour away from where I work, all highway. There are only two turns, the first a right and the second a left, and more than a few times I'll turn left at the first turn thinking I'm already at the second turn! I just do it automatically and it takes me a few minutes to realize where I actually am. Very frustrating since there aren't many places to turn around. Driving right past something that I've been watching out for over the course of several kilometers is another common one.

#7 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

This happens to me frequently on long drives. My home is an hour away from where I work, all highway. There are only two turns, the first a right and the second a left, and more than a few times I'll turn left at the first turn thinking I'm already at the second turn! I just do it automatically and it takes me a few minutes to realize where I actually am. Very frustrating since there aren't many places to turn around. Driving right past something that I've been watching out for over the course of several kilometers is another common one.

As you are going through the process for a diagnosis, consider this in the context of Automatic Behavior. Unfortunately, this was common for me while driving. It is the daytime equivalent to sleep walking- but more like walk sleeping.

For example, just before my first round of tests, I had to discontinue Adderall. I went for a run on my usual route where I have my landmarks timed. I am accustomed to pushing myself through sleepiness and I was a bit groggy starting out. At one point I realized that my breathing was slow and shallow, and I was taking little baby steps instead of a full stride. I realized that I was in a different place along my route. When I finished, there was a 13 minute difference from my usual time. So, for more than 13 minutes, my brain was asleep while my body continued to run. It was a scary realization and important in my  diagnosis.

Be verrry careful while driving- those lapses in memory may be Automatic Behavior.

#8 jstjoehere

jstjoehere

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Luckily Ive not had this problem since my diagnoses Ive learned to pull over if I feel tired take a nap or just lay the seat back til it passes. My thing is driving at night if Im tired especially I have sleep hallucinations. Its one of the scariest things that can happen while your driving and what definitely broke me of driving while Im tired. It was when I was still working I was driving home and it was really dark and rainy you know one of those nights that it seems like your head lights just arent bright enough. I was on the interstate no cars around anywhere guess I was just kind of spacing out a little when suddenly I saw what looked like a small child run out in front of my truck I slammed on the brakes something I had in the back slid forward and made a loud thud which really freaked me out because I thought I actually hit this child. I got stopped and pulled off the side of the road. I walked back and looked around and nothing anywhere thats when I realized what had happened. So I swallowed my heart in relief that I didnt hurt anyone and went home wide awake never the less. From that night on I refuse to drive if Im the slightest bit tired the what if it would have been real thought keeps me from doing it. Its dangerous enough driving when we have narcolepsy I just ask to please dont push yourself. Pull over take a nap give the tiredness a chance to pass anything is better than the alternative.