Photo

It's All Good

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

So, somewhere around here is a 'Not Doing Well' thread for when we're struggling or having a bad day and need to share or vent, and I thought it'd be good to also have one for when things are going well.

In my case, work switched me over to a 12-hour shift in mid-January, and I was having a real hard time with it. I had trouble getting out of bed or focusing on anything, my memory went to the dogs, and I started having more and more episodes of just plain not being able to comprehend what people were saying. I heard the words, I knew what they all meant, I just couldn't comprehend what they all meant when strung together, and I'd have to ask for help even figuring out what was being said. Also, I'd have a conversation with someone, and forget it as soon as it was over--not at all good, when the conversation was with a programmer who just told you how to fix a problem!

Well, at my last checkup with the neurologist, he said I couldn't work 12-hour shifts any more and sent me off with a note to that effect for work. After discussions with HR and my boss, we found a way to manage it--a new position in the department that would come with 8-hour shifts.

I started Monday, April 15th, and ... wow! I didn't realize just how much trouble the 12-hour shifts were causing me until I wasn't on them anymore. Part of that, I think, is because all I did was work, go home and pass out, then get up and go to work again. Even on my days off, I had more--and longer--sleep attacks than I ever had before. Heck, there was one day that I woke up, went out to the living room, sat down and fell asleep. Didn't wake up again until that evening, when I had a snack, sat back down, and fell asleep again--only to wake up about 3AM and, yes, go back to bed! It was pretty awful ... I mean, I don't take my meds on my days off, but I'd never had one like that before!

Now, though, on the 8-hour shifts, I go home and actually STAY AWAKE for a while! I can run errands on the way home if I need to, I can do chores when I get home ... heck, nevermind all that complicated stuff, the most exciting thing of all, right now, is I can actually have a coherent conversation when I get home! Rather than sitting there staring at my mother wondering what the heck she just said, and unable to even figure out how to tell her I don't understand, I can not only understand what she says but even respond coherently!

It's not all better, of course. I'm still tired all the time; the brain fog is still there; I still have problems with concentration, comprehension and memory ... but it's back to the level I was at when I was on the 8-hour shifts before. I knew the 12-hour shifts had made things worse, but I didn't comprehend just how much worse it was until I went back to 8s. Now, I look back at that 3 months on 12-hour shifts and wonder how I even managed to survive.

Definitely very glad to be back on 8-hour shifts. And now, I've babbled enough! So, someone else want to tell us all about your own good day?

#2 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Glad to hear things are going better for you! As for me, yesterday and today I have been working on getting a photo board put together for a reunion tomorrow. It is at the hospital where my little girls was in the NICU after she was born. Our family will be attending this reunion tommorrow and we were asked to bring a photo board to encourage other parents whose babies are in the NICU. I have had a little more energy the last couple of days. I didn't know if I would start to feel well enough to do this photoboard but I am! I may try to put up a photograph here of the board when I am finished.

#3 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

OK. so I tried to post the picture and I couldn't figure out how. Oh well.

#4 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hi Munky,

Thanks for starting this topic!  I love to hear/read about everyone's successful days or even "moments".

And I like to share about them too....because, for me, those moments where things are good (however brief or rarely they may occur) they sorta give me a boost to keep on going.  Documenting them here will allow us to go back and read about our own good days.  It also allows us to share in the joy of other PWN's successful moments, because we really "get" how each day is a struggle and so we also "get" that each good moment is a thing to be celebrated.

Maybe we can ask the Administrators to make a Big Section of the forum for this?  (Not sure how we go about doing that.)

And on that note.....Munky....So glad to hear that you were able to go back to 8 hour shifts!  I don't know how you did the 12 hour shifts!!!!  That alone is something you need to give yourself a pat on the back for!  It's also great to hear that your workplace is working with you to get you a spot that allows you to be your best.  It takes a lot of courage to talk to HR and your boss about all this stuff and I am super impressed with how brave you are!

I'm so glad you're having energy after work to do some "ME" things.  As PWN, we really give the best of ourselves to our workplace and often don't have much left for ourselves. I look forward to hearing more about what stuff you'll be up to now that you have more energy after work.

Thanks again for sharing.  I'm so happy for you!

SleepyDays

#5 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hi Mmartens3,

It's so great that you had the energy to put together this photo board!  It's also super cool that you are sharing and giving hope to others who are living through a difficult time when their new little ones are in the NICU.  We'd love to hear how the reunion went...

I went back to read your other posts, as I noticed you are a new NN member, and wondered if you'll be starting treatment for your EDS soon?

I look forward to seeing more successful moments from you in the near future when you begin treatment. I know the medications aren't perfect, but they really do assist in giving you more "energy".

All the best,

SleepyDays

#6 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

SleepyDays, I am awaiting a sleep study. It will be this Sat/sun April 27/28. I don't know how long it takes to get the results. I am assuming I will start treatment after I get results. I am not on any meds right now. I am trying to work on diet/ exercise and sleep schedule.

We about to leave for the reunion right now. I will let you know how it goes!

#7 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Had a great time at he reunion! Our kids had so much fun! There was food, games, prizes bounces houses, face painting, and more. My baby girl enjoyed herself. She got real tired at the end and started to cry but that was to be expected. It was nap time! I was glad everyone had a good time. When we got home I crashed and took a two hour nap! My wonderful hubby took care of the kids, did a few things around the house and cooked dinner!

Our photo board was placed in a hallway in the NICU for current parents of patience to be encouraged by!

#8 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Glad to hear you had such a great time, Mmartens, and that you were able to put the photoboard together, for other parents to take courage and inspiration from when they're faced with those same difficulties!

SleepyDays, looking back, I still don't know how I survived those 12-hour shifts--especially with school as well! And I sure didn't feel brave while waiting for the meetings with HR and my boss. I was a nervous wreck, flat convinced they were going to tell me there was nothing they could do! But, it had to be done. I was so relieved after meeting with my boss that when I got down to my car, I couldn't drive--I was shaking too much!

Bonus: there's pretty much always something to do in this new position--or, at least, something to do for the first half of every hour or so. The only exception will be Friday nights. For the next couple of weeks, though, I'll be spending all that extra time rewriting the documentation for my job. What we have sucks, and I can't stand sucky documentation. :D