Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mmartens3

Sleep Schedule

2 posts in this topic

Since I am not on any meds yet I am trying to come up with a good sleep schedule as a way to control my EDS. I would like to know what kind of sleep/ nap schedules have worked best for some of you. I recognize that it is not that simple but ideally what works best? I do not work. I stay real busy but I don't have a job outside the home. So I have control over my schedule and can nap during the day sometimes. So I would like to know, ideally what is the best time to go to bed, get up in the morning and nap? Are frequent short naps better or one long one?

I think it's going to be different for everyone. Some people take several short naps, some people take longer naps, some people don't take any naps at all. I know, when I first got diagnosed, my doctor told me I should be trying to get at least 7 hours of sleep and take a 20-minute nap halfway through my work shift. Unfortunately, 7 hours of sleep is nearly impossible for me--today, I slept longer than usual, but woke up after about 5 1/2 hours and couldn't get back to sleep--and the naps, while helpful at first, do little to no good anymore.

As for the best times to go to bed and wake up ... I can't help you there. I started life with a circadian rhythm disorder and insomnia, and the narcolepsy sure hasn't made them any better!