Being Aware Of Rem While Its Happening.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

Rephrasing my question - does any actually feel your eyes moving back and forth really fast during REM? I usually don't feel my eyes doing that during an SP/HH episode but a couple of times I actually did feel my eyes moving fast. So what I mean is I seem to have been aware of the actual Rapid Eye Movements happening.

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yes. Sometimes my dreams are hard to tell apart from thoughts. If I don't like my dream, I will change it. Sometimes when I am aware I am dreaming, I wake myself up because I did not want to be asleep at an inopportune time. This awareness of REM seems to be a part of my life which my wife just does not share- "how do you do that". It has caused a few good laughs.

#3 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

I realize that but I am talking about feeling my eyes actually moving back and forth. I have only noticed this a couple of times. Most of the time when I no I am in SP/HH I know that I am in it but I don't actually feel my eyes moving.but I did a couple of times which really freaked me out. That is what I am asking. If anyone else actually felt their eyes moving.

#4 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Yep. It's definitely a creepy feeling ... but it happens to me often enough that I've learned it means I'm having a hallucination. It happens most often when I've woken up and I'm going back to sleep, more rarely when I'm going to sleep the first time.

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Yeah, I was wondering if I was the only one who feels this, too. I've noticed that when this happens, all the muscles around my eyes are calm but that my eyelids are flittering somehow and that my eyes are going back and forth quickly. It's certainly not something I'm doing on my own, for instance, I'm not squinting or trying to shut my eyes as hard as I can or trying to move my eyeballs or anything.

#6 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for sharing. It helps knowing that others share a similar experience.

#7 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

I change my dreams too! Not conciously really, it's just things will be going bad for me and then I'll be like nope, and switch stuff around to turn more in my favor. Often times, it's like I get retries, like dying in a video game. I have noticed when I get really sleepy my eyes will start to cross and loll around occasionally, sometimes going as far as starting to switch back and forth really quickly. One time I gave myself SP/HH though. I kid you not, I was laying in bed trying to sleep, and I was like, I wonder if I start oscillating my eyes randomly it'll make me sleep quicker. I started doing that and the about 30 seconds later, I sank down, down, down, could no longer move and my dog started running around the room, and then my roommate started shouting at him, except that wasn't actually what really happened, both of them were asleep, haha. So yeah, it is possible to induce that intentionally, though I'm not sure why you'd wanna do that.

#8 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

I can change my dreams too. Sometimes I make them go in my favor just for fun. Other times I make a bad dream stop. Its quite fascinating. I have never wanted to induce HH but I have occasionally tried to stay in one if it is pleasurable.

#9 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Yeah, the ability to change dreams has been great especially for nightmares. The best way I could describe it to others was that my brain would place me into a dream that initially I had no choice of as to how it starts, but then if it was a dream I didn't like, I could change it, for instance, do something to get away from the "bad guy". It's not as often now that I take Xyrem, but looking back, those nights before treatment would feel like they lasted forever, but now it's like I close my eyes and hours have gone by in what feels like an instant. Feels almost like time wasted now because I'd get some solid problem solving done and creative ideas in those hours.

Some of those dreams were really cool...

#10 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Has anyone else tried "guided imagery"? I notice that when I play one for a nap or at bedtime that I can feel my eyes do their rem thing and It become a pleasant dream. Not sure if it happens all the time since it wasn't on my radar until this topic came up here. Might be good for those of us who have nightmares.

Also, I won't watch horror movies, and I won't watch certain parts of other movies because I don't want to experience them in my dreams.

#11 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

I stopped watching horror movies a long time ago for the same reason. My nights seem to last forever. Sometimes it seems like I have been in the same dream all night long. I never really know or sure how long I am dreaming. Time may just seem longer in dreams. I am not familiar with guided imagery.

#12 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

One time I gave myself SP/HH though. I kid you not, I was laying in bed trying to sleep, and I was like, I wonder if I start oscillating my eyes randomly it'll make me sleep quicker. I started doing that and the about 30 seconds later, I sank down, down, down, could no longer move and my dog started running around the room, and then my roommate started shouting at him, except that wasn't actually what really happened, both of them were asleep, haha. So yeah, it is possible to induce that intentionally, though I'm not sure why you'd wanna do that.

Yeah, DeathRabbit, I don't think I want to try that out. SP/HH can really suck!

#13 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Mmartens3, if you search YouTube, for "guided imagery" you'll hear examples of what I'm talking about. I particularly like the floating cloud one. :-)

#14 BrooklynJrerry

BrooklynJrerry

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Well this is what I had today around 11 am at work I had a sleep attack which happens often so I went to my car to take a nap and I fell asleep sitting in the driver seat  not reclined in a very uncomfortable position and the sun shining on me  and in my sleep i knew where I was and I felt the sun and my neck hurt from the position my head was when i fell asleep but I could not wake up I tried in my sleep to wake up because I was so uncomfortable but i could not and I even heard things I heard a short stop and it sounded real but I still could not wake up and this went on which seemed that it went on for hours but it lasted 30 min and i finally woke up (the short stop was only in my dream) 

One my the dreams I have a lot ( like every week)at night at home I know I am in bed sleeping and I hear an intruder break into my house and I am paralyzed to do anything about it so I scream and scream until my wife wakes me up and there was never and intruder but it seems so real (and it could happen 2 seconds after I close my eyes my is like hey you just went to bed 

#15 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

I've had a rash of SP and HH recently. These symptoms are fairly new to me. I never really had trouble sleeping at night, but now it seems like my nights are going on forever.  First time I had SP was really freaky. And what caused the HH was the fear of HH. 

You can't scream, you can't yell for help, you can't do anything. 

It just sucks, because nobody understands unless they have N. I know SP and HH happen to normal people, but it's almost every night for people like us. 

#16 dozzer

dozzer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Being Aware Of Rem While Its Happening.

Hi, I'm new here. Just getting a Dx at 60+. Had one PS which seems to suggest there is a problem. Going for another with CPAP and then an  MSLT later. 

Anyway, I've often experienced 'rapid eye movement' during the day. I'll be perfectly wide awake and my eyes just start flickering back and forth. I've learned that if I just go somewhere quiet and let it run its course I'll feel pretty good when it's done. Until my MD suggested I might have N, causing me to read up on it, it never occurred to me that what I was experiencing was REM intruding into my daily --awake-- life. Now it seems to make sense.