Photo

Mosquitoes W/us. Wife Forbids My Using "off"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

somehow we can't keep a couple of mosquitoes from being in the home at bedtime this year. the a/c went out. condenser unit costs too much we'll be keeping windows open.

all my life my solution when mosquitoes are around has been "off". it works. the wife can't stand the stuff and i'm not willing to sleep apart from her, looks like i'm in a pickle.

anybody got suggestions how to get rid of the mosquitoes? wife will endure nightly bites before "off" has a place in our bedroom.

hope you guys know some other product that works and doesn't smell like "off".

#2 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Mosquito nets/netting is a good solution over most the other methods.

Hanging one over your bed and tucking it under the sides of the mattress or just letting it droop, should help.

Go to Amazon.com first off, to look at the many variations and sizes.  Just do a search for whatever: queen mosquito net

Am sure an army/navy store, or some camping/sporting store, even walmart likely would have some.

Shouldn't cost more than $15-$30 or so...

There are natural oils and sprays which are better and/or as good as "off" but they can be pricey, and smell. 

There are little slow smoking things you can purchase, but they stink and I'm sure like "off" are not the healthiest to be around and/or have on/in you.

There are lights but those probably cost a lot, and it's a light, you hear the zaps...

Good luck, mosquito bites and disease can be no good. 

#3 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

There are lots of commercial mosquito traps, and I found several articles about making your own traps using common household items when I did a google search, but I have no idea how effective any of them would be.

I'd think sk8aplexy is right, and mosquito netting might be the best way to go. Can't use it, myself, because my cats would climb it, but then again, one of the cats loves chasing bugs of all kinds and generally takes care of any mosquitoes that make it into the house.

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Ceiling fans work great for preventing mosquito bites. The key is to have it running fast enough to distribute your exhaled breaths around the room.

Also keeping a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol (they hate the stuff) will allow you to zap them out of hiding areas as well as get their wings wet so that you can more easily "catch" the suckers when the fan is off during the day. They drop to the floor for easy pick up with tissue. Otherwise each biting mosquito will continue to live indoors for up to a month. Closing doors can also help you find Mosquitos to track down and capture the next morning. If you're anything like the mosquito magnet that I am, just turning off the fan and wearing black (they are able to spot dark colors more easily so if you dont want them to bother your wife, she might want to stick to a wardrobe beige/tan/pastels) you will send them toward you with your spray bottle ready.

#5 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

They make some herbal blends that are actually much more effective than Off. I remember when I went to Maine, I took a can of Off and the locals just laughed and laughed, then showed me an herbal solution that worked hella better. I think it was some blend of lemongrass, eucalyptus, and peppermint. It didn't smell the best but it worked. And they had like mosquito clouds up there. Some of them joked the mosquito was the true state bird.