• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

I used to be a History buff, at least Post New World history. DeGama was the guy who first made it from Europe (specifically Portugal) to India and back. Bartolemeu Dias was the one who had made it the farthest previously; he just rounded the tip of Africa, then chickened out and went home.

#22 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Ok - an explorer. I remember now. I did teach a lesson a out him to my kids. I promise! It's a good thing I use curriculum because my brain isn't what it used to be!

#23 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

It doesn't help that I hang around people who could start their own Mensa club. I used to maybe be that smart, but it underscores how far I've fallen. I know one guy who speaks three languages including Latin, and knows Roman history so well, he can tell you what Caesar, Scipio or Pompe had for breakfast on a given day. Another, who just completed his master's in experimental particle physics and accepted an internship at Los Alamos. And a third, who can decipher anything in any language, if given a few hours. He even build his own languages for fun. So yeah, I feel outclassed. I'm just a lowly Computer Programmer who's forgotten most of what he knew, due to N and the fact that my job never demands sharp programming skills.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot the guy who started college at 15 and graduated with a dual major in philosophy and astrophysics by 20, who also knows Latin and actually attends a Latin mass.

#24 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

I read encyclopedias for fun ... But, then, I read pretty much anything that has words. I'll read the cereal box, if I'm having a bowl for breakfast! In fact, people at work are always trying to trip me up because I read while I'm walking down the hall. I generally end up reading several books a week.

Mostly, I read fiction ... pretty much anything but romance and westerns, neither of which I ever got into. Fantasy and Sci/Fi are my favorites, though, with alternate histories running a close third. The only non-fiction I generally read is astronomy/astrophysics-related, because I'm a geek, though there have been a few "dummies" books--like when we decided to get chickens.

Reading doesn't generally put me to sleep. My mother reads in bed, on her way to sleep, but I've never been able to. If I'm trying to get to sleep and I start reading, I'll never get there. I can use it to wake me up, though, like when I'm fighting off a sleep attack.

#25 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

I can usually only read paper books when the effects of my meds are still in full swing. I almost fell asleep at the library yesterday trying to read Economics books too.

I'm really grateful for this medicine though, I can stay awake during school again! Studying computer networking from a textbook is not exactly the most stimulating thing to do for 2 hours. 

One thing I do notice when I am tired reading is that I often comprehend the first few letters of a word and then my mind auto-fills the rest with something extremely out of context. I often have to re read sentences twice because I'm sure that what I just read isn't quite right. 

Like the above sentence might have read "...when I am tread reading..." or something else strange.

Also, when tired writing I often start a word, get half way through writing it, and then finish it with the end of the next word in the sentence. It doesn't happen when I text or type, just when I am writing tired haha. 

Anyone else have this problem? 

#26 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Actually I can write fine, but when I type I leave words out or use the wrong word, etc. And yea, sometimes, I'll misread sentences in pretty hilarious ways, or if they're too long my mind says "screw it, aint nobody got fo dat"

#27 cmanbrazil

cmanbrazil

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

I went to a college where we read on average one book per week per class.  That's a good 1,000 pages a week or more, most being non fiction.  My trick was to read quickly.  It always had to be under pressure.  I could never seem to do my work early.  After I dropped out of grad school- which btw was less reading than undergrad- my friend kept my book collection of several hundred books while I moved. I remember him telling me I needed to come pick them up, because I had many hard to find books, and he felt like he was stealing my books.  I lost interest in reading. I could never understand why until this diagnosis decades later.  I still read sparingly.  I acquire information quickly, which is my only saving grace.  I never picked up my books from him.  I hope that they are getting good use.

Its amazing how we analyze our actions without knowing they are related to an illness. 

#28 TiredAgain

TiredAgain

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

ok I know I'm late to this post but I also have a hard time reading. At the age of 43 when I started online classes to get a college degree was tough. It was before I was diagnosed with N so I thought I had ADHD without the H. Before when I read I just thought ok reading puts me to sleep, but I had to read for school so I would push myself and nothing stick. So I would spend the next day reread what I read the night before it was very frustrating, what helped me was note taking.

I have not read a whole book in a long time, I skip around. I work with special needs children and I enjoy books on autism etc.. so skipping around works. I would love to sit down outside and read a good love story but I fall asleep!