Mmartens3

Reading Books

28 posts in this topic

Actually I can write fine, but when I type I leave words out or use the wrong word, etc. And yea, sometimes, I'll misread sentences in pretty hilarious ways, or if they're too long my mind says "screw it, aint nobody got fo dat"

I went to a college where we read on average one book per week per class.  That's a good 1,000 pages a week or more, most being non fiction.  My trick was to read quickly.  It always had to be under pressure.  I could never seem to do my work early.  After I dropped out of grad school- which btw was less reading than undergrad- my friend kept my book collection of several hundred books while I moved. I remember him telling me I needed to come pick them up, because I had many hard to find books, and he felt like he was stealing my books.  I lost interest in reading. I could never understand why until this diagnosis decades later.  I still read sparingly.  I acquire information quickly, which is my only saving grace.  I never picked up my books from him.  I hope that they are getting good use.

Its amazing how we analyze our actions without knowing they are related to an illness. 

ok I know I'm late to this post but I also have a hard time reading. At the age of 43 when I started online classes to get a college degree was tough. It was before I was diagnosed with N so I thought I had ADHD without the H. Before when I read I just thought ok reading puts me to sleep, but I had to read for school so I would push myself and nothing stick. So I would spend the next day reread what I read the night before it was very frustrating, what helped me was note taking.

I have not read a whole book in a long time, I skip around. I work with special needs children and I enjoy books on autism etc.. so skipping around works. I would love to sit down outside and read a good love story but I fall asleep!