Perception Of Time...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

Can N, it's lovely side kicks (HH, AB, EDS, etc - I don't suffer from cataplexy at the moment) or stimulant meds that I am taking be effecting my perception of time? As in how much time has past say while getting ready for work or something like that, how late it feels at any given time.
I seem to be having trouble here lately with time management and I never used to have this problem. Especially at work, this was one of my stronger attributes an I'm not understanding where the problem may be coming from.
If anyone knows or has ideas/suggestions I am open!!!
Thanks again my PWN friends!
Happy Friday to All!

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Do you mean time seems to be moving too fast? It could be microsleeps, but I think also, having less focus does that as well. Like how an hour of TV can go by in a split second, but an hour of running on a treadmill seems to last an agonizingly long time. We narcos lack focus more than most, so stuff speeds up. Add in the microsleeps and it's like life flies by.

#3 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Well I don't run on treadmills all that much (lol). But yeah I guess so. Like sometimes in the afternoons after work before I know it, it's 7:30-8:00 and I haven't even fed my toddler dinner yet. And I'm like wow! Ok, yeah! Go mommy! What the heck, no wonder she is fussy or asking for a snack it's sooo past dinner time! And my productivity is falling behind at work and I think it's because I'm not realizing how much time is passing. I think I already know what micro sleeps are, but do you mind explaining (in dummy terms) for me?? And is there any way to recognize when this is happening and stop it or stop it FROM happening??
I feel like I was starting to feel a little less tired and now it's just something else w/ this stupid N stuff!!

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Well, a wristwatch might be hlepful, but other than that, there's not much that can be done :/

#5 salomeforever

salomeforever

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary art, film and video, crafts, psychology

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I have had a huge increase in this being a problem over the past year or so.  I think it's a combination of microsleeps at times and also just a general inattentiveness and spaciness.  Being on my current Adderall prescription helps, but I still find myself getting sucked into time holes, usually while reading articles on the internet. Something I've done before that helps is to set a million alarms in my phone. I have an alarm set to wake me up, an alarm telling me I need to physically get out of bed 30 min later, an alarm telling me when I need to walk out the door, etc.  I also use alarms to remind me when to go to bed at a reasonable time.  Sometimes I don't remember to set or change these alarms and then nothing can be done.  I also have this cool app called 30/30, I think it's free or relatively cheap, that saves sets of timers to increase productivity.  I haven't found a way to distinguish between general cognitive fog and microsleeps, and I don't think much can be done behaviorally about either.  I do find that, as much as I hate it, planning and scheduling my busy days (as in actually putting things in writing and on the calendar) helps the most. 

#6 salomeforever

salomeforever

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary art, film and video, crafts, psychology

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

I think the alarm thing has helped the most, because usually when I'm feeling dopey and sleepy it's hard for me to calculate the time it takes to do things, as opposed to the time by which something must be done.  The last semester of college I had a lot of trouble with this.  As in, if class started at 9, I repeatedly forgot to estimate for the time it took to get ready, drive to and park on campus, and the time it took to walk to the building. 

#7 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Yes... I am repeatedly late for work. Sometimes due to the fact that its extremely hard to wake up and get out of bed and sometimes I just can't get ready In The allotted time that I allowed. Even if its 3 hours, i still somehow manage to make myself late.
I can try the wristwatch idea... But I work on a computer all day so the time is always in my view during work. so I'm not sure how much that will help. But I will try anything.
I currently set my alarm early so I am able to snooze. And I also set the alarm on my phone that I usually hit snooze once or twice.