Photo

Missed A Test Today Because I Can Never Wake Up In The Mornings. Tips? Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Think_Freely

Think_Freely

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:All things science
    Astrophysics
    Philosophy
    EDM
    Music festivals

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Waking up in the mornings is literally the hardest part of the day. People call it laziness but transitioning from being asleep to being awake enough to understand that I need to get out of bed is becoming increasingly difficult. I never hear my alarms (I set 4, 15 minutes apart) and I've been late to my 9am class/work every single day this entire semester. I've tried everything from leaving Adderall on my bed side table to take it the second I wake up, but that doesn't help much if I never hear my alarms.

Any tips you guys can give me to help with this? Are there any iPhone alarm apps that you have found that are loud enough to wake you up?

Also, does narcolepsy count as a disability I could file with my school to make it easier when trying to explain to my teachers that I'm not just lazy and late for class? Or would this not help much?

Thanks!

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Narcolepsy does count as a disability, and I think you can talk that over with your school to get special consideration, given you have a diagnosis. For work, I think it's a little more complicated and you have to get an MD to sign off on the fact that your condition disables you. Some others on here have been through these situations, so perhaps they could chime in. Also, check the education and employment board for similar stories. My suggestion for an effective alarm is to use a computer or hook your iphone up to speakers and have it play a song you detest. There are alarm clock apps that let you do this for both iphone and desktop/laptop. And set it far away, so you have to get up to turn it off. Might I suggest avant-garde black metal? If this can't wake you up at 80 dB, nothing will :P :

#3 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

I liked having a light in the room set on a timer to turn on slightly before the alarm is set to go off.
It will wake you up just enough to be more receptive to the alarm. Make sure the alarm is away from the bed so you have to get up to shut it off. I would keep my alarm in the bathroom and climb into the shower after turning it off. The water would eventualy wake me up and who would then want to go back to bed with wet hair.

#4 Think_Freely

Think_Freely

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:All things science
    Astrophysics
    Philosophy
    EDM
    Music festivals

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Asleeper, That light idea is awesome!! Do you know if there is an iPhone alarm app that has a light setting?

And DeathRabbit, thanks for the info! I'll have to check out my school's disability qualifications. Luckily my work is flexible and I can show up whenever.

#5 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

You might take a look at this link:

http://www.uic.edu/n...wFiles/ADA.html

#6 salomeforever

salomeforever

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary art, film and video, crafts, psychology

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

Narcolepsy DEFINITELY counts as a disability! I registered with my Disability Resource Center and it helped a lot.  At my school, there is only so much that the DRC can do for you on paper, but having my Narcolepsy documented and a coordinator to vouch for me did a lot to help my credibility with professors.  The DRC couldn't dictate that I be technically allowed any set number of absences or dismissal of tardies, but if an issue ever came up with a professor regarding such, it would be addressed in my favor. I was also given note takers for lecture classes and extra time on tests.  While I still dealt with a lot of jerk professors, the problem became not singularly mine to deal with.  If a teacher could not find a way to interact with me civilly about an issue, I would refuse to discuss it any more and direct him to my coordinator.  

Definitely get registered, even if you are doing well in school at the moment. I don't think I would have passed anything in my last 3 semesters without these accommodations. 

#7 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Like DeathRabbit said, there are a number of useful and inventive iPhone or Android apps out there for alarm clocks. I always put my phone right next to my pillow or sometimes fall asleep clutching it so that when it vibrates as my alarm it's easier to wake up. I feel as if i'm a light sleeper though so being woken up was never really a problem for me. It's just finding the conviction to actually get up that is hard. 

Maybe you should use a kind of Inception based idea. Make an object or something that you can access easily in the morning when you are trying to wake up so that you can test if it's reality or dream land. Lol what am I saying, that's nuts. IDK. 

#8 drago

drago

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Waking up in the mornings is literally the hardest part of the day. People call it laziness but transitioning from being asleep to being awake enough to understand that I need to get out of bed is becoming increasingly difficult. I never hear my alarms (I set 4, 15 minutes apart) and I've been late to my 9am class/work every single day this entire semester. I've tried everything from leaving Adderall on my bed side table to take it the second I wake up, but that doesn't help much if I never hear my alarms.

Any tips you guys can give me to help with this? Are there any iPhone alarm apps that you have found that are loud enough to wake you up?

I have this particular problem, and as much as I don't want to be "that person"... I will warn you that, even though narcolepsy is a disability, people still think not being able to wake up is about laziness or not going to bed at the right time, no matter what you say. It's difficult for healthy people to imagine being narcoleptic, and many people might think your "using yoru disability as an excuse." I'm not saying this to  stop you from talking to people, just to warn you that a lot of people don't like to listen... :-\

That being said, Have you tried other kinds of alarms?

For example, I have a deaf alarm clock (called Sonic Boom) and it had a bed shaker component. You put it under your mattress or pillow and it shakes the bed.

I also have a sunrise halogen alarm, which slowly goes from off to fully bright over a 30 minute period.

I also have an aromatherepy alarm clock (Oregen Scientific). It starts going at a set time. I use cirtus scents, usally, those help me wake up, or make me hungry enough to get up anyway.

You set your alarms 15 minutes apart? I find that when I do this, I manage to turn them all off without waking up.

I have to set my alarms something like this:

7:30 am - First Alarm - Cell phone (take medication if I remember)

8:15 am - Second Alarm - Cell phone (take medication if I haven't already)

8:30 am - Time I set for my slow-loading alarms (aromatherapy clock and halogen lamp alarm, they go from off to max over about 30 minutes)

8:45 am - Third Alarm - Deaf Alarm/Bed Shaker

9:15 am - Last Alarm - Cell phone

If I set them all 15 minutes apart, I'd sleep through them. Have you tried spacing out your alarms?

Anyway, I wish you luck!

drago

#9 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

I had earlier mentioned here using a light on a time to wake up. I think it is important to use a lamp on a timer. This would be brighte than an IPhone and it could not be flipped over to be ignored.
This may sound stupid but I found at one time helpful to hang a mobile over my bed. If I had something to focus my eyes on, I could keep them open. I don't have the mobile anymore but I now have intresting wooden beams on the ceiling to look at.