Hypnic Jerks / Hypnagogic Jerks / Sleep Starts / Night Starts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drago

drago

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Does anyone else have frequent experiences of Hypnic Jerks (also called hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, or night start)?

I ask because I found that there is a correlation for me now that's become pretty clear. In my martial arts training, I am learning more advanced kicks, such as jump back leg side kicks, spinning jump kicks, etc. Sometimes, I'll spend 30minutes to an hour working on one jump, trying to get it right.

I found that on nights when I was learning or practicing these advanced kicks, I'd experience 2-5 hypnic jerks at least. And specifically, instead of feeling like I am falling, which is what I normally feel during a hypnic jerk, I feel like I am trying to kick something instead.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

drago

#2 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

I have found that if I go to sleep after skiing all day. My body will twitch like I am still skiing and I seem to dreaming that I am still trying to turn my skis. This will only happen after I have been skiing, never on a night when I haven't been skiing. I hear it's quite common, even for people without narcolepsy.

#3 Sisu

Sisu

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

I get them on bad days when I am awake, and it's the first sign of sleepiness.

I hate them. I used to get them when I slept to the point where my former partner wondered if I had a seizure disorder. I don't get them much with the Xyrem, but I hate them as much as ever when they happen. (And sometimes it's not just legs/arms- I twitched my jaw once and nearly bit my tongue!) Just the one brief twitch, but oh, do I hate it. Especially if it wakes me, because that's just not fair!

#4 CarlaWilS

CarlaWilS

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Food! Music, singing, writing, movies, reading, baking, chocolate, cookies, flaky pastries, bread. Just food. Lots of food. Mainly sweets.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

I get them on nights when I'm even more excessively tired than normal. I'll start dreaming before I've actually fallen asleep and my body will twitch in correspondence with what I'm doing in the "dream." For example, I reach for something in the dream and my finger or hand will twitch. It's so frustrating because it "wakes" me up even though I know I wasn't actually asleep, but now I have to start the whole process over again! When I told my neurologist about it, she put me on 300 mg of Gabapentin that I take an hour before bedtime. I've only been taking it for about 2 weeks and the twitching has stopped, which is nice. But I really wanted something that would help me stay asleep at night instead of waking up a lot because that would help a little with the EDS and then I, hopefully, won't be that much more tired at night. At least not as often. 

It's an off-label use for Gabapentin because it's mainly for epilepsy patients, but it may be worth mentioning to your neurologist.

#5 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

When I used to skate a lot, I would frequently on occasions (sometimes more than a few times in the same day) in the evening or night; would begin day dreaming, and it would be all good until I hit a rock or slammed within the dream, suddenly twitching or jerking awake.  Always thinking wow, I actually thought I was skating, and wasn't at all...

It doesn't happen much anymore, perhaps since I'm not skating much or really at all these days.  Definitely at one point on a day it happened many times, I remember becoming a bit freaked out by it and wondering why such, what the, and how come...

#6 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Following up with a link to an interesting article I just came across which mentions the anticonvulsive 'gabapentin enacarbil'... :

http://medicalxpress...mnia-brain.html

#7 TiredAgain

TiredAgain

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I used to get them a lot but not to much anymore, now I snore myself awake. I can remember one night yelling at my ex husband because I had like 6/8 jerks trying to fall asleep and he kept laughing. I was so annoyed that I continued to jerk and wake up that I think it became a cycle, the madder I got the more I jerk. My usual was once or twice.