• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:All things science
    Astrophysics
    Philosophy
    EDM
    Music festivals

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

I was diagnosed with N and C about a year and a half ago and I'm still struggling with trying to figure out the best treatment option for me. I first started out taking Nuvigil but it made my mind extremely fuzzy and made me feel jittery and scatter-brained. It also gave me incurable headaches. I then switched to Xyrem and it was a miracle drug for about two weeks before I developed extreme anxiety, especially social anxiety. I had panic attacks just thinking about leaving my house and every day around 5pm my mind would quit functioning- I could barely drive or think. I tried numerous doses but would become anxious after 2-3 days of consecutive use. About 6 months ago I started taking adderall (10mg 3x daily) and it's been amazing to keep me awake for the day. The only downsides to the adderall are the dependency, rage issues, and mood swings.

I'd like to find other treatments that aren't prescription drugs, as I feel the side effects greatly outweigh the positive effects for most of these drugs. What regime do you all have to deal with N? I'm especially interested in hearing about supplements or other OTC products. I'd also like to hear about mood stabilizing substances too since N makes me incredibly moody; always up and down and irritable.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

It's still prescription, but Lamictal XR has helped a lot both with the headache pain, brain fog, and the moodiness in my sitch. On the nonprescription side, find a supplement with Valerian root and 5-htp in it. Those improve the quality of my sleep quite a bit, thus reducing daytime symptoms. I'm still debating whether or not to buy one, but they make a machine called a Zeo that works like a portable sleep study you can wear at home. It's not as accurate as the real deal, but you could try various things and what all, and then see if they are improving or harming your sleep architecture.

#3 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

For a long while, and still on some days, I wind down in the evening by drinking some herbal tea; chamomile and valerian are both excellent. 

I did a 3 month course of a supplement that had 5-htp, L-theanine and Taurine, also over this time I took a Chinese supplement with a lot of I don't know what (this was recommended by an awesome D.O. that I see regularly).  I've read some things about 5-htp being a bit risky for persons with heart valve matters, and use in/for the long term may not be good on/for the heart valves.  I suggest googling that if curious. 

When I began that 3 month course, I also cut out a lot of foods I'd been eating regularly most of my life; dairy (which now over 6 months later, I consume in minimal-moderate amounts, as meat I also now eat in minimal-moderate amounts -prior I eat both in large amounts basically every day-), and I went more or less 'towards' the gluten-free approach (that is to say, I cut out a lot of flours and in avoiding cheaper foods like chips, going for the ones and things that are with less or better refined sugars and salts), I prepare and cook most of everything that I eat and try hard to eat Organic (dairy/eggs/meat) which is to avoid the antibiotics plus hormone as well as avoiding GMO foods as much as possible, I realized that -I may be 'sensitive' to gluten and am definitely 'very sensitive' to many sorts of sugars-, also I do around once a month visits to the D.O. who does both Acupuncture and Cupping (google it if you are unfamiliar, it's a bit intimidating but relieving for my neck and headaches -I have many typical, but more often than any one I know, other health matters mostly ENT/headache/neck arthritis-...), I do daily stretching that is sort of meditation-like.

With all that said, I can not point to the 5-htp alone, yet all of the above (which some of related to the cooking, organic and stretching I've done for a couple of years now) definitely resulted in some beneficial changes; however, I still deal with Narcolepsy and Cataplexy most every single day. 

I do not take any meds because as like you'd said for you, for me also, the side effects definitely did not outweigh the benefit (in fact none have brought me any benefit). 

I'm not saying at all to, nor to not, try 5-htp. 

For me, something within the combination of it all above, changed things in ways but in some odd ways; I definitely feel generally a bit better (a few less headaches and inflammation like aches/pains) and with slightly more energy but for instance my Cataplexy had become more intrusive in simple chit chatting (example, being asked directions on the street, as I'd respond Cataplexy intrudes and makes me appear that I'm on crack or heroin) but at the same time it had slightly allowed me to have more strength for longer during physical activity (skateboarding) before Cataplexy intruded.  At this point though, around 4 to 5 months after finishing the 3 month course, I don't plan to take such again.

The biggest thing that works for me, and this is near impossible in the manner of living perhaps especially today, is avoiding stress.  I too, deal with the mood swings, anxiety and also depression.  In my own mind I'm not necessarily at all sad, but perhaps frustrated and often likely 'unpleasant' to be around but I can't help think that's due and/or attributed to the difficulties of many sporadic health matters and then the big N w/ C which is so often just entirely misunderstood and pigeon-holed immediately by others.  Socializing is so difficult, to engage with others doesn't happen unless they engage with me first or perhaps if there is some commonality/thing (like skateboarding) to draw the interest.  Cataplexy is big there, because to chit chat or be joking around, jolly, I'm basically just asking to collapse...

So, maybe something there will help?  Maybe not? 

Either way, the best of luck.

#4 Think_Freely

Think_Freely

• Members
  • 10 posts
    Astrophysics
    Philosophy
    EDM
    Music festivals

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thank you for the recommendations! I have 5-htp but haven't started taking it regularly yet since I haven't fully researched it. I've taken it, at most, for 5 consecutive days and haven't noticed any effect. How long does it normally take to notice results?

#5 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Prolly a couple of weeks to a month. The valerian root is like knock out drops though.

#6 Think_Freely

Think_Freely

• Members
  • 10 posts
    Astrophysics
    Philosophy
    EDM
    Music festivals

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Awesome. Time to put that 5-htp to use.

#7 Vanessa Elizebeth

Vanessa Elizebeth

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

I have heard that Xyrem has side effects of nausea,bed-wetting and sleep walking.I am not sure that taking the drug will be worth these complications.

#8 N50+

N50+

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Dog lover

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

I have heard that Xyrem has side effects of nausea,bed-wetting and sleep walking.I am not sure that taking the drug will be worth these complications.

For some, some side effects; for some others, all side effects; but for some other others, no side effects -and then it is life altering! You will never know if you don't try. It does demand that you be very strict about how, how much and when you take it as well as some other disciplines but if you can manage those things it can be great.

#9 MyLifeInTheSunshine

MyLifeInTheSunshine

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

Coca tea.  You can buy it online, it's even on Amazon.  It's sort of a gray area, legally, but it is safe to drink.  Many people don't find it that stimulating; I'd suggest two teaspoons in a cup of tea to start with, and then maybe drink more tea throughout the day.  And maybe alternate days with caffeine drinks, so your body doesn't get used to one substance and develop a tolerance.  Some would say it's similar to caffeine, but without the jitteriness and awful feelings once the caffeine wears off (I'm talking about energy drink or expresso levels of caffeine).  You'll test positive for cocaine, so if you're drug tested for work, don't use it.  If you want to extract more of the active ingredient, you can chew it with baking soda, but that's not really helpful if you're going out anywhere.  The taste is similar to a bitter green tea, but you can tell it's coca if you mix it with baking soda, you'll get a mild numbness.  It's not like doing blow, don't be scared of that, but whether it will help you or not depends.  If you don't feel anything, try drinking more or mixing baking soda (which will unfortunately make it taste bad) and see if that helps.  I'm not sure if cow's milk inhibits some of the active ingredients like it does with tea, but any milk makes it taste better.  One website recommends grapefruit juice (check your other meds for interactions first) with it.  And if you need to fall asleep, I sometimes take a melatonin supplement 1-3mg an hour before bed; it's not going to not you out, but it's pretty safe, and may help.  I think it makes me a bit groggy when I wake up though.

#10 MyLifeInTheSunshine

MyLifeInTheSunshine

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

Culturally, coca is chewed (or brewed) throughout the day, it's not meant to be a one-time dose, so don't expect it to provide a long-lasting alertness.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

The best thing you can do to control symptoms on a day to day basis is to get into, and stay in, ketosis.  This is what happens on an ultra-low carbohydrate diet.  It is essentially your body switching from burning carbohydrates for fuel to burning fat for fuel.

Carbs make you sleepy.  Go for a few days without them and you will see your EDS plummet.  Keep going without them and lose a ton of weight.  Not a bad deal.  Hard to say goodbye to carbs, though.

Edit:  Also helps a lot with cataplexy.

You're still narcoleptic, you still have almost none of the neurotransmitter that regulates wakefulness.  You're still going to have daytime sleepiness from time to time.  The going theory these days is that blood sugar spikes are what cause you to reuptake your orexin.  In a normal individual this still leaves you with enough to stay awake (just slowed down).  Since you only got a lil' bit (thanks, N), you're passing out.

Simple test:  Eat a big bowl of ice cream with a cookie in the middle of the day.  See how quick you're out.  The next day, eat some chicken breast and salad - no croutons, no soda, no sugar.  No sleepy!  Or, much, much less.  Going into ketosis will make you EDS A LOT LESS.  

#12 VSfan88

VSfan88

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

You can try Modafinil - that's what I take. At first, it caused me to have headaches but after a week they disappeared. 

PS: Gotta agree with the food talk: Food with lots of carbs do make sleepy

#13 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

I did also lower the carbs by A LOT. It helps. I am a vegetarian also. I just ate some peach cobbler for lunch dessert (I rarely eat sweets) and now I am dragging.

How long did you try Nuvigil? It took a couple of weeks before I felt "normal" on it. My body had to adjust. Those headaches were horrible though, I remember spending my weekends in my dark apartment to avoid light.

Also a sleep schedule. I go to bed the same time everynight and wake up the same time. OH and working out. I do it at night/late evening as it has been shown that higher body temperatures leads to improved slow wave sleep. A shower or bath at night can also help this.

#14 drago

drago

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

It's important to remember that, while we narcoleptics tend to reach out for stimulants, pushing too much in that vein creates an imbalance that perpetuates additional fatigue, including muscle fatigue (or "feeling heavy" in your limbs), EDS, brain fog, etc. I had issues with energy (I wasn't falling asleep, but I would suddenly feel completely exhausted or feel like I was dragging thirty more pounds) but a test revealed that I had high stimulant neurotransmitters with low compensatory neurotransmitters, such as GABA. This was because my Taurine level was low, and you need Taurine (found in fish, meats, etc.) to create GABA. Techncially, GABA works on drowsiness and plays a role in sleep cycles, but it is suppose to elevate to match stimulating neurotransmitters. When that doesn't happen, other imbalances spring up and the body reacts oddly.  When I re-added Taurine to my diet, my extreme/sudden fatigue/weakness stopped. This is because my GABA levels were able to rise appropriately and some of the other imbalances stablized. It took about a week to see the full results, but they were staggering.

The test that helped me with this is a neurotrasmitter test my PCP ran for me. Some doctors won't use them because of various issues with the test standardization, but it may be helpful to assess something like this.

That being said, I've also tried the following:

-- drink HOT drinks to keep awake (or warm drinks) -- body temperature regulation functions differently in narcoleptics, so drinking warm/hot drinks can improve alertness

-- drink COLD (very cold) drinks to help sleep -- some people drink warmed milk to help them fall asleep, but since body temperature functions differently in most narcoleptics, drinking very cold drinks at night can help sleep

-- for a little "kick" find your pep-up foods

----- for me, peppermints helped me keep awake

----- several fruits also help me out, such as raspberries and citrus fruits

-- aromatherapy

---- several scents help aid alertness and focus

---- several scents help aid sleep/relaxation

-- Workout Exercises/Regimen

---- I personally do Karate, usually 8-12 hours/week of training/stretching

---- Running is also very helpful

-- Ketogenic Diet

---- I did this via Axona (medical food) and it helped me through a particularly rough patch

The stuff mentioned above helped me.

drago

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adderall, xyrem