Nightmare On Elm Street

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Outcast031

Outcast031

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

This goes for Any Nightmare On Elm Street movie: Okay seriously... How can they have eight movies (9 if you count the remake) and we never once see a single teenager with Narcolepsy.

We see many teenagers with coffee induced insomnia but that's about it. I imagine if we ask the story writers about this they would claim that the teenager with Insomnia would be the first to go. Now my take on this is quite different.

Sure Freddy's got some freaky powers over other peoples dreams but would a person with Narcolepsy really be that defenseless? Especially after a few confrontations?

Based on the abnormality of our sleep cycles such confrontations might play out in surprising ways.

So what do you think on this? Any thoughts on how a fight with Freddy Krueger might play out differently if he faced someone with Narcolepsy? :blink:

#2 SleepyMarie

SleepyMarie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

I use this movie (or series of movies) to explain narcolepsy to people.  Basically with the threat of sleep paralysis and hallucinations (especially when I go through a bunch of nights in a row of it), I don't want to go to sleep, because then "Freddy"/sleep paralysis and hallucinations can get me.  If you couple that with not being able to wake up at times (literally trying to wake up only to find myself in another dream, and then repeating that, like I am stuck in "Alice in Wonderland") and not sleeping well, sleep becomes pretty scary. 

I have tried following a friend's advice and "take more control of my dreams."  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

#3 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Look Freddy- you must be new here. Let me tell you how we do things. And BTWs- that look is not working for you.

#4 SleepyMarie

SleepyMarie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:37 AM

Interesting - instead of avoiding my fear, face it directly.  That would make sense (and provide for a more routine sleeping schedule).  Plus I like the idea of using my fighting Irish side to kick some Freddy butt. ;)   My sleep paralysis and hallucinations went down tremendously after I got my dog.  Perhaps he has already chased Freddy off for me a lot. ;)

Now I will dream about my dog attacking Freddy, but that is okay.  I am sick of Freddy and ready for him to be gone, or at least to see him a lot less. B)