Need A New Doctor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Athene noctua

Athene noctua

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Can anyone recommend a doctor in the Los Angeles area that has experience treating/diagnosing patient's with Narcolepsy? I was already contemplating getting a second opinion, but my current doc just told me he's starting a new job (on the insurance side of things) and will not be seeing patient's anymore.

I apologize for my semi-duplicate post. I did a forum search but other similar queries were either left unanswered, or >3 yrs old. 

Thanks for your help.

#2 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear that! Unfortunately, I live in Alaska, and I don't know any in your immediate area.

However, the Neurologist that I currently see, is based in San Francisco, CA. He comes up to Alaska like one week out of the month. I know that Los Angeles is a ways from San Francisco, but I guess it depends on how willing you are to find another neurologist.

I see Dr. Graham Glass, and I am so thankful that he was the first Neurologist I ever saw. He is very patient-orientated, and I feel like he listens when I talk. He's very helpful in answering questions and unlike some Doctors, takes my opinions in to account often. If you're willing to drive that far, he is a very good choice. 

But I do realize it is a very far drive, especially if you don't have someone to drive you (as us PWNs tend to have trouble driving longer distances!).

Here is a list that may be helpful to you for your immediate area (though I cannot vouch for anyone doctor personally):

http://www.medicinen...les-ca_city.htm

Good Luck!

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

^That is truly rare. Probably worth the drive. My first sleep doctor was crap, and the one I have currently just lost interest after I didn't prove to be an easy Xyrem fix. Neither of them have done any actual serious diagnostic work beyond the PSG/MSLT to try to figure my case out.

#4 Athene noctua

Athene noctua

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

Thank you so much for your replies. I will definitely look into Dr. Glass. I can't drive long distances, but flights are easy (no one bats an eye when I fall asleep  :P) and I'm desperate, so the time and money might be worth it. 

If anyone else has other recommendations I'd greatly appreciate hearing them