Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Athene noctua

Need A New Doctor

4 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend a doctor in the Los Angeles area that has experience treating/diagnosing patient's with Narcolepsy? I was already contemplating getting a second opinion, but my current doc just told me he's starting a new job (on the insurance side of things) and will not be seeing patient's anymore.

I apologize for my semi-duplicate post. I did a forum search but other similar queries were either left unanswered, or >3 yrs old. 

Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry to hear that! Unfortunately, I live in Alaska, and I don't know any in your immediate area.

However, the Neurologist that I currently see, is based in San Francisco, CA. He comes up to Alaska like one week out of the month. I know that Los Angeles is a ways from San Francisco, but I guess it depends on how willing you are to find another neurologist.

I see Dr. Graham Glass, and I am so thankful that he was the first Neurologist I ever saw. He is very patient-orientated, and I feel like he listens when I talk. He's very helpful in answering questions and unlike some Doctors, takes my opinions in to account often. If you're willing to drive that far, he is a very good choice. 

But I do realize it is a very far drive, especially if you don't have someone to drive you (as us PWNs tend to have trouble driving longer distances!).

Here is a list that may be helpful to you for your immediate area (though I cannot vouch for anyone doctor personally):

http://www.medicinenet.com/narcolepsy/los-angeles-ca_city.htm

Good Luck!

^That is truly rare. Probably worth the drive. My first sleep doctor was crap, and the one I have currently just lost interest after I didn't prove to be an easy Xyrem fix. Neither of them have done any actual serious diagnostic work beyond the PSG/MSLT to try to figure my case out.

Thank you so much for your replies. I will definitely look into Dr. Glass. I can't drive long distances, but flights are easy (no one bats an eye when I fall asleep  :P) and I'm desperate, so the time and money might be worth it. 

If anyone else has other recommendations I'd greatly appreciate hearing them