Can Adderall Be Causing Insomnia?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

My meds have been changed... Once again!
Only this time I feel like me EDS is way better esp in the mornings. And the evenings are better as well. Im still really tired and worn out but not actually sleepy!! I still get an episode everyday where its really hard to keep my eyes open around 2pm to 4pm though.
Anyways, I do think I am getting a bit of med induced insomnia or something. I'm extremely tired and sleepy but body just won't sleep or something, I'm not sure what it is. I've never had this problem. It's been total opposite in the past. I would fight not to fall asleep at 6 pm!!!
I am on adderall XR 10 mg twice daily and the adderall IR 10mg twice daily. (I take each in the the morning and at lunch)
This is frustrating
Does anyone had any insight??
I have also posted this in the Adderall med station thread w/ no response.
I have a dr appt later this week but I would like to go in w/ some ideas and questions of my own to ask/offer.
Thanks in advance!!

#2 ckobb1

ckobb1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Computer Science, Robotics, Gaming.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Dear Sweetest,

I'm a sophmore in high school, and am currently on adderall. Initially, I had the same issue that you had, with insomnia occurring right around 9, and I would lay in bed until about 12 waiting to fall asleep. The solution I found was that, rather than doing a lunch dose, If I had a dose at around 6:30 when I woke up and then took a nap at 10:30 and another dose at 11, I was tired out by 8ish. I'm not entirely sure how the medicine works (scientifically), but I have noticed that taking a dose around 12 with food leaves me awake too late. Perhaps the food causes a prolonged usage due to digestion? Either way, taking the nap and then the dose has worked well for me, so if possible try taking it earlier and without food and that may be the solution.

#3 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

The timing of your second dose in regards to eating could definitely be what is causing your insomnia. Eating close to taking a stimulant delays and prolongs the release particularly the XR version. It may take a little bit of experimentation to find the best timing for your body.

#4 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

I haven't tried Adderall yet, but Ritalin will cause insomnia for me if I take it too close to sleep.  I don't use ER because I can't afford it, but I know that if I want to be able to fall asleep quickly as usual, I cannot take Ritalin within 8 hours of sleep.  It makes the last 4 hours of the day kind of difficult, but my sleep, if it is affected, is not noticable.  

You are taking a lot of Adderall so if you can take your doses earlier in the day.  Your doses may also be too high. You have to talk to your prescriber about this, though.  I agree with MINI that it will take time to figure out what works best for you so that you stay awake, but can also sleep.  

#5 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

I also called my primary care dr on this and she said the same- experiment is all I can do and it may be that I can just do away w/ the afternoon XR. Or take it earlier. I actually wake up in the middle of sleep at 4 am for the first dose of the XR to help me wake up later around 5 or 5:30. So I could really take the next dose of the XR well before lunch time I suppose.
Oh the joys.
Thanks everyone!!
I will keep working on it! :).

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, you def want that XR as early as possible, otherwise, it's gonna be at a high level still when you are trying to sleep. Honestly, I'd do the XR first thing in the morning and again maybe around 10ish, and then take the IRs sometime after lunch, but def no later than 1PM; Adderall IR mean half life is 10 hours. So it safe to assume, unless there's been 10 hours since your last dose of IR, you're going to have sleeping issues. Ultimately, on ampetamines there will always be a little sleeplessness. Hope you get it figured out. Remember, it's not worth the pick up if you lose sleep!

#7 Vanessa Elizebeth

Vanessa Elizebeth

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

I dont have answer,but I like your approach.