Power Naps

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WillRickard

WillRickard

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Does anyone else benefit from power naps? 

My view is that I used to benefit massively from them, it would get me through the day and they were amazing- i'd have a nap around 5pm everyday and that would get me through to around 11pm. Now today my sleepiness has gotten a lot worse- had a power nap at around 12pm, felt good for about 25 mins after and boom I was sleepy. Came home and had a nap for 12 mins, got up for about 30 mins and then I felt sleepy so I had another power nap, eventually wearing off and then I slept for an hour!!! It's getting worse :( 

As for my diagnosis, I had a blood test yesterday and that will be back next tuesday fingers crossed, then hopefully my GP will refer me to the sleep Doctor. 

#2 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

I was taking 20 minute naps every 4 hours at work, at first, but they stopped being effective. To begin with, it was great! Even if I didn't feel particularly tired, after the nap I'd feel much better and make it through the rest of my shift at work with no problems. They got less effective, though, after I got put on 12-hour shifts. Couldn't sleep at all for the first nap, and woke up from the second one even more tired than before, then had numerous sleep attacks through the last part of my shift.

So, I stopped the naps altogether. I still have a couple of sleep attacks towards the end of my shift, but far fewer than I did when I was taking the naps, and I have gotten far better at recognizing them. When I do, I'll get up and walk around a bit until I feel better, then go back to my desk. I'm working on getting back to 8-hour shifts, and I may try reinstituting the lunchtime nap at that point.

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

I think naps have to be used sparingly, our our jackass brains will start sleeping less/more *BEEP*ty at night to compensate. Turns out naps are addictive/diminishing returns just like any other N treatment. Hnnnnnnggggggg!!!!

#4 KarenM

KarenM

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

I go home at lunch everyday and nap. At first they were refreshing and I only did it a few times a week. Now, they're necessary and if I don't take them I crash way before my eight hours are up. So frustrating.

#5 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

There was a time that my office was near a beach. Everyday in the summer I could go there for lunch and then take my 20 min power nap before returning to work. I really miss those days

#6 napper3

napper3

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

I nap same time everyday. Makes a difference.

#7 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Power naps used to be more effective for me but now the benefit is very short lived.

#8 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

It depends. Sometimes the naps work. Sometimes they help the problem by allowing you to enter REM and not putting it off until the night time. This was the theory behind the use of the stimulant medications. My afternoon naps usually make me worse off then just staying awake --- even though im pretty tired from 6 thru 7:30 or so.

This is where I have learned to use meditation. It takes a while to learn, but you can enter SW meditation for....5 to 10 min, and get some of the restorative effects of sleep without actually going to sleep.  

Again, it takes a while to learn, and you will fall asleep during it while learning. But I have found it helpful when I get the feeling a nap will make things worst. There are certain types that engage slow wave states, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.  

#9 Bunny23

Bunny23

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hi, for me in the beginning things went in cycles.

I have weeks or months where I don't need to take a nap. Then weeks where I'm exhausted and I need to lie down from 5pm- 7pm (and yes it gets hard to get up!) Nevermind sleep attacks at 8am while driving to work, and while driving home (and during work!)

I also am prone to terrible insomnia that goes in cycles and actually overlaps the time I need naps. I will sleep only 2-3 hours a night for weeks.

You have to remember that the theory behind narcolepsy is that REM is almost switched, so instead of being present during night it is present during the day. I have a spinal cord disorder so I was already not getting restorative sleep due to pain, with narcolepsy you are not going into deep sleep at night, even if you feel like you slept.

I take Elavil at night for sleep, and that helps (although for me the dose has to be under 75mg or I will sleep ALL day!) and then take adderall in the morning (extended) and sometimes another immediate release one at 5pm. But the more that I stick to a good sleep schedule and take meds that give me restorative sleep, the less symptoms I have during the day. 

My dose was increased 6 months ago on my 2nd year of diagnosis because it was not working so well, so your meds will be changed.