My Sister In Law Needs Insulin I Need Adderall-We're "drug Dependant"

drug dependency? misnomer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

i don't see how/why so-called "drug dependancy" may apply to the adderall i take out of medical need.

if i am "drug dependant", so is a diabetic for taking their insulin. i will live w/o adderall the diabetic won't w/o insulin?

ok how about the psych patient who will be hearing voices or have unconrollable mood swings w/o their meds?

are such people also "drug dependant"? i need my adderall. just like anybody else that needs their rx medicine whichever med it happens to be.

"drug dependency" has negative implications. it is a misnomer, and strictly speaking, is a useless term when discussing medically the tx of eds/fatigue in pwn.

this has got to be set straight. it's a fact. confusion is all the term "drug dependancy" has bruoght or ever will bring pwn.

we are not recreational users nor are we addicts, our stimulants are NOT taken on an elective basis; and to have this irrelevant term and the kind of thinking that comes w/it interferes w/our tx options whenever it's used by the docs tx'ing us or by the proffession of sleep medicine itself. it is applicaple in the tx of drug addiction. it has no place in the tx of n. or any hypersomnia of central origin, period. measures should be taken to fix the problem of careless labeling here...

best wishes, all.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Well just so long as one doesn't cut one's self too much slack. We Narcoleptics aren't prone to addiction, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. And even happen with our specifically tailored meds. Look at people who undergo major surgery, but can't kick the morphine afterwards. It's up to each individual to disambiguate that line between treatment and pleasure. But no, it's not fair to say just because someone needs Adderall to get through the day that they are an addict. That would be an indefensible generalization.

#3 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

i draw the line @ #1: am i getting a full night's sleep? if not, i'm taking too much wakefulness promoting medication.  there used to be #2: is my appetite normal? this lost relevance years ago.  2 decades (now 3) made me so acclimated to 'stimmies' that my appetite is only affected a little.  i can follow a 150 mg dose adderall w/ prime rib dinner. 

eat hearty, too.  i guess i got to make a youtube video of me eating the 5 distictive pills then the meal before this can be beleivable online. and i can do it about 2 hrs later, w/150mg adderall @ Cmax.  honest.

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Nah, you ain't gotta prove yourself to me or anyone man. As long as you're right with you (and your God if you have one) then that's good enough I reckon :)